Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im in year 11 and starting to think about my a level options. French is one that i'm pretty sure of although i've heard that its a big step up/a lot more difficult than gcse. However i'm pretty sure I can manage it.

Alongside french i'm also thinking of doing Spanish so I was just wondering what people's experiences are of taking 2 languages at a level. Was it a huge amount to cope with, or very confusing?

Im also thinking of taking English lit. and psychology if that makes a difference

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People have done very well taking both so it's all possible!

À mon avis, tu dois choisir français et espagnol! bonne chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    À mon avis, tu dois choisir français et espagnol! bonne chance
    merci! How different is it to gcse though? The thing that worries me most is the fact that theres no controlled assessments where they give you a topic to prepare beforehand so you just have to be prepared for every possible topic!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbiNoisette)
    merci! How different is it to gcse though? The thing that worries me most is the fact that theres no controlled assessments where they give you a topic to prepare beforehand so you just have to be prepared for every possible topic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm still at GCSE too, if you want to know some people who study it at a level:

Etoile (holding a Cambridge offer now )

The oral exam (you seem to be talking about) you have 15 minutes to prepare what you want to say, you'll have had practise and know a lot of content
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbiNoisette)
    Im in year 11 and starting to think about my a level options. French is one that i'm pretty sure of although i've heard that its a big step up/a lot more difficult than gcse. However i'm pretty sure I can manage it.

Alongside french i'm also thinking of doing Spanish so I was just wondering what people's experiences are of taking 2 languages at a level. Was it a huge amount to cope with, or very confusing?

Im also thinking of taking English lit. and psychology if that makes a difference

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This isn't entirely true. Yes, A-level is a huge step up, as you have to take yourself to conversational fluency. However, you DO get to prepare. The speaking assessment is designed such that you can prepare for ~3-4 minutes of it, and then you know that the other 10-15 minutes will be on stuff outside of that topic. Speaking is not an issue, seriously - at GCSE you may have had to rely on scripts etc. but at A-level you'll have the knowledge to make it up on the spot.

I'm still at GCSE too, if you want to know some people who study it at a level:

Etoile (holding a Cambridge offer now )
    Ethery (year 12)

The oral exam (you seem to be talking about) you have 15 minutes to prepare what you want to say, you'll have had practise and know a lot of content
    Whereas I'm not holding a Cambridge offer Although I have just been offered a second interview :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    Whereas I'm not holding a Cambridge offer Although I have just been offered a second interview :O
    I heard :console: hey! Smash that interview!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I heard :console: hey! Smash that interview!
    Hopefully I will :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Selon moi, le examen à AS est très similaire du gcse, seule un petit peu plus difficile, mais A2 es beaucoup plus difficile.

Y es el mismo para español.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I will :woo:
    :woo: you shall

Do they speak to you in German!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    :woo: you shall

Do they speak to you in German!
    Probably not this time, apparently there's no German fellow at the college :dontknow: Whether that means I'll have to learn German at another college, I don't know

ReputationRep:
    Probably not this time, apparently there's no German fellow at the college :dontknow: Whether that means I'll have to learn German at another college, I don't know
    So they did last time? Which college fished you? Or is offering the interview?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    So they did last time? Which college fished you? Or is offering the interview?
    Yeah, I had one german interview and one spanish interview last time at Trinity Hall. This time it's Fitzwilliam College offering the interview, although they haven't given formal timings and haven't told me who will interview me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I had one german interview and one spanish interview last time at Trinity Hall. This time it's Fitzwilliam College offering the interview, although they haven't given formal timings and haven't told me who will interview me.
    :awesome: well good luck with it all! :eek:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    :awesome: well good luck with it all! :eek:
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I do French and Spanish at A level, currently a Cambridge poolee..

At first I found it a bit difficult and got confused between words that are somewhat similar in the two languages, but that only lasted for the first month or so. After a while they end up being really useful as there are loads of different concepts of grammar and stuff that are similar so if anything they really help each other, at least in my experience anyway. And tbh if you're worried about it being a big step up from GCSE to AS in languages, it's a big step up in every subject

ReputationRep:
    There's quite a few people at my school who are doing both at A2....I do French only and tbf a lot of people say it helps if the boards and syllabuses are the same for both languages....and there is a bit of confusion especially when you talk to one language assistant in the wrong language lol....I did both at gcse along with latin as well and loved them Only picked French because I've been doing it for longer and I want to do Medicine so thought it might be slightly more useful for me if I want to do voluntary work or something.....

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies! Makes a bit more sense now and I think i'll go for it, even though ive still got a while to decide. Good luck for that interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

just signed up to this site as looking for advice on french and spanish a level. Do any of you do edexcel in both / either? I have to decide what topic to do for my oral exams - where you have to defend a controversial issue and my school isn't giving much advice. I don't want to spend ages researching something only to find its not a great topic, and want to try to get a really good mark next summer for uni applications.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm the same but with German and Spanish! We have to pick our choices soon, and I'm pretty sure I know what I want to do; biology, geography, German and Spanish - I don't have a clue what I want to do when I'm older, so I'm just doing the subjects I like the most haha

ReputationRep:
    It is said that Spanish is an easier option than French - the reasons being that French is more complex language whereas you can equate Spanish to many other foreign languages I.e. Italian.

Personally, Ive already passed my French A-level and Im in year 11, achieving an A*. I must warn you though, French takes a lot of effort and dedication into getting a good grade because you will need to push yourself a lot harder than you are doing right now in year 11 - an. Obvious step up from the GCSE standard. Your French course may consist of reading novels and evaluating them, the same with movies. it's basically the French version of studying english... You know, being able to analyse texts. I had to do a crazy speaking oral where I had to speak for 10 minutes straight which was a little nerve wrecking but as long a you're up to track with work and prepared to ask your teacher for guidance after lesson when you are not completely sure about the material you had just covered, I'm sure French would be quite a rewarding subject to study. Another fact that will probably steer you towards French A-level is that it is well regarded in universities. they will respect the fact that you are able to learn in a language that is not your native tongue and it will show that you are able to work effectively through a different approach. working with two different languages at the same time can be very challenging, as long as you're willing to go home and check through all your notes and frequently practising, which could be useful for future written and communication examinations. I would advice that you take both languages if you're confident in the subject and are predicted an A or above at GCSE although the beginning of the language courses add on to the knowledge you have learnt in your GCSE.

Unfortunately, I have no current knowledge of how the Spanish A level has been set out because I dropped that language as fast as I could in yer 9! Haha. :blushing:

I'm sorry I've written quite a lengthy answer, I hope this helps you in making your decision about whether or not to take on two Languages to GCE (A-level) standard anyway (:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.