Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this would go under Study Help, but oh well, I thought I might get a response anyway.
    I understand that universities do not require you to take a recommended a level, however I was wondering would I be at a disadvantage by not taking Further Maths - which is recommended by man Russell Group universities - would I be at a disadvantage in getting a place at that university. We have to decide our a levels in the next few weeks (though we can, at any point before August, change them) and I have decided on taking Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I am predicted A* in Maths, so I feel that I could take it, however I am also really interested in History. So my question is basically do universities really care what a levels you have when applying for a physics/engineering degree, or is it fine just to have maths and physics a levels? (will the other two matter?) I also want to keep my options fairly broad.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If a uni says a subject is 'recomended' or 'preferred' or 'desirable' then not having it probably will disavantage you, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if your studying physics/engineering at Uni, you would probably benefit from a Further Maths A-level MORE THAN History. That being said, if you are good at History, then you could consider the A-level as it is VERY respected (high analytical and memory skills) which would given your application more variation. I think taking either wouldn't disadvantage you in any particular way, so the choose the one you'll enjoy or do best at (grades at the end of the day, are what they're looking for). If there are specific requirements/preferences set by the a given university that you want to go to (which may vary slightly for a given course), you probably want to go with their preference.
    Hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    A level further maths would be a slight advantage but if you would much rather do history then do that. The alternative is to do an AS in further maths, which is what I did. (And was enough to get me into Cambridge).

ReputationRep:
    I really, really wanted to take Music Technology alongside Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry, although it's regarded as a C-list A-Level. Instead I took Physics, and now I'm sitting on an offer from Cambridge.

It's brilliant to have an interest in a subject, but does that mean you have to have a qualification in it? Read some history books in your spare time, look things up on the Internet, re-enact battles using toy soldiers, and take the right A-levels that will give you an advantage in getting a university place. I'm sure History's great, but the more relevant subjects you have the better your chances are.

And as an aside, I dabble in Music Tech in my free time, and I really enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.