Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this too risky? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically my 3 A Levels are A*, A (already achieved) and A (predicted) with a B in A level General Studies and B in AS Crit Thinking. I'm 21 years old and was ill during the course of my A Levels and some years after which is explained on my reference. That's why I had to retake 2 of my A Levels (achieved an A* in one and predicted an A for the one I'm sitting in June this year). Oh and my GCSEs are 1 A*, 7 As and 2 Bs.

I just was wanting to get your views about the choice of unis I'm applying to; they're all quite prestigious and 'high risk', but they're ones I sooo want to go to. Based on my grades and (hopefully) a good personal statement and reference, what kind of chance do I have?

The unis are Durham, York, Exeter, Leeds and Edinburgh (all to do Psychology).

By the way I know my application's cutting it a bit fine but I'm just waiting for the reference to come through which should do in a couple of days ready for me to send it in. I just wanted people's thoughts before I made a deadset decision about the uni choices.

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    they seem pretty safe options to me considering your grades! I wouldn't worry about it, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    So long as your entire application is in before the deadline, you will get equal consideration as someone who applied in October. If you meet the requirements, and they like your PS/reference there is no reason why you shoudnt get an offer.

Unis like older students. They work harder, are clearer about why they are at Uni, dont 'mess about', dont need mothering or spoon feeding as much and generally get better results.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laauurraa)
    So basically my 3 A Levels are A*, A (already achieved) and A (predicted) with a B in A level General Studies and B in AS Crit Thinking. I'm 21 years old and was ill during the course of my A Levels and some years after which is explained on my reference. That's why I had to retake 2 of my A Levels (achieved an A* in one and predicted an A for the one I'm sitting in June this year). Oh and my GCSEs are 1 A*, 7 As and 2 Bs.

I just was wanting to get your views about the choice of unis I'm applying to; they're all quite prestigious and 'high risk', but they're ones I sooo want to go to. Based on my grades and (hopefully) a good personal statement and reference, what kind of chance do I have?

By the way I know my application's cutting it a bit fine but I'm just waiting for the reference to come through which should do in a couple of days ready for me to send it in. I just wanted people's thoughts before I made a deadset decision about the uni choices.

Thank you in advance
    I'm in the same boat but 20 and everything is fine I have offers from kings, aston, southampton and queen Mary and waiting to go to open day at ucl after which they say I'll get an offer. Your circumstances won't hinder you in any way, I've found that universities have been great when it comes to health problems and most of them have mentioned available support and basically that they'll be there for you if you need something.
    Go for it, you have great grades and predicted grades.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much everyone for the replies! much appreciated and i feel better and a lot more confident now. just received an email from UCAS saying my reference has been completed so aiming to submit my application today - then for the dreaded wait!

good luck everyone

ReputationRep:

Thank you in advance
    Hi

Your grades look fine! Mind it is to be noted about critical thinking and general studies as Durham and York don't accept them in making an offer. But I've applied to Durham and York to do Psychology and I have pretty much similar grades to you. I got 3As at AS and I'm predicted 3 As but aiming for A*s of course. Where do you think you'll be firming?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilypsychology)
    Hi

Your grades look fine! Mind it is to be noted about critical thinking and general studies as Durham and York don't accept them in making an offer. But I've applied to Durham and York to do Psychology and I have pretty much similar grades to you. I got 3As at AS and I'm predicted 3 As but aiming for A*s of course. Where do you think you'll be firming?
    I would love to go to Durham so if they gave me an offer I think I'd definitely firm it, with either York or Exeter as my insurance. But I'm planning on going to their open days before I make up my mind Waiting is absolutely torture! Good luck with your application, where else have you applied? Where do you think you'll be firming and insurance-ing?

ReputationRep:
    I would love to go to Durham so if they gave me an offer I think I'd definitely firm it, with either York or Exeter as my insurance. But I'm planning on going to their open days before I make up my mind Waiting is absolutely torture! Good luck with your application, where else have you applied? Where do you think you'll be firming and insurance-ing?
    Oh god it is isn't it, the wait is hideous, I've been waiting over three months now for Durham and York. I've applied to Durham, Nottingham, York, Sheffield and Sunderland. I've been to all open days except Sheffield which I'll be attending an offer holder open day sometime soon before I make any decisions But it looks likely that I'll be firming Durham and insurancing Nottingham.

Good luck with your application too! You should join my thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...118&p=40889931, it's for Durham Psychology Applicants (there's only four of us so far) and you can mention if you get a reply or join the discussion, only one person has got an offer and she applied before me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilypsychology)
    Oh god it is isn't it, the wait is hideous, I've been waiting over three months now for Durham and York. I've applied to Durham, Nottingham, York, Sheffield and Sunderland. I've been to all open days except Sheffield which I'll be attending an offer holder open day sometime soon before I make any decisions But it looks likely that I'll be firming Durham and insurancing Nottingham.

Good luck with your application too! You should join my thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...118&p=40889931, it's for Durham Psychology Applicants (there's only four of us so far) and you can mention if you get a reply or join the discussion, only one person has got an offer and she applied before me
    Three months...how do you do it?! It hasn't even been a day for me, I don't know how I'll cope! I was going to go for Nottingham but then decided to choose Edinburgh instead for the Psychology and Linguistics degree, to give me some variation in case I decide I want to pursue Linguistics. Only thing is my personal statement was pretty much all Psychology...but oh well, I'll see what happens.

I'll join your thread now

ReputationRep:
    You will have a very good chance with those grades and if you meet entry requirements and have a strong PS most RG generally will give offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meat is Murder)
    You will have a very good chance with those grades and if you meet entry requirements and have a strong PS most RG generally will give offers.
    Thank you! You've given me a lot more self assurance now. Gonna try and wait patiently for now

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! You've given me a lot more self assurance now. Gonna try and wait patiently for now

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I say this because of the massive overlap that is inevitable. You can bet that thousands of people applying to Leeds have also applied to York as well Manchester, so uni's give out far more offers than places because many won't make the grades anyway, and others will simply go elsewhere. I remember reading awhile ago that UCL would give out 300+ offers for a course with 100 places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meat is Murder)
    I say this because of the massive overlap that is inevitable. You can bet that thousands of people applying to Leeds have also applied to York as well Manchester, so uni's give out far more offers than places because many won't make the grades anyway, and others will simply go elsewhere. I remember reading awhile ago that UCL would give out 300+ offers for a course with 100 places.
    makes sense. only hope is to revise like absolute mad to make sure i get the grades if i'm offered a place!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.