Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey people,I've got a really important issue I'm facing and its making me soo anxious.The thing is that for some reasons I hadn't applied for the student finance on time, and was only done about 2 weeks ago!! I started the course in September 2012. According to what I read on their website the date I applied was fine. However, the university sent me a reminder letter regarding my tuition fees 2 days ago and said I've got 10 days to make the payment as they were due the 25th of December(!?). Shall I worry or what?:confused:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    There are two different issues here:
    There's something about being able to apply for student finance up to 9 months after the start of course.

There's nothing to stop you doing that; but you'd have to ensure that your tuition fees are paid on time.

ReputationRep:
    As said above Student Finance lets you apply up to 9 months late, but tuition fees have to be paid when the university wants them. It appears your university wanted at least some of the fee on 25th December. People who applied for Student Finance on time or only a little late would have had the fees paid for them by this date, everyone else (includes you) would be expected to pay themselves by this date.

The university will expect you to pay and will refund the money when Student Finance comes through and pays them a second time. You could ask for an extension or a loan/grant from the uni to cover or partially cover it if you don't have the money but I don't know how successful you'd be. Your uni should have a financial advice service, they would probably be the best people to ask as they should know who you'd need to talk to about it.

ReputationRep:
    So I need to pay the money myself in full? What if the loan gets accepted in a few days? Will that cover me or I'd still need to pay the amount on my own first? do you know how long it's gonna take now that nobody else applies at that period of the year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.