Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  phy help n.png
Views: 46
Size:  27.1 KB

I thought the voltage splits, so i found out the internal resistance r then found the voltage for 6ohms which is 3v and therefore the parallel would be 6v.

Turns out the parallel is 1 volt, which i dont understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tynos)
    Name:  phy help n.png
Views: 46
Size:  27.1 KB

I thought the voltage splits, so i found out the internal resistance r then found the voltage for 6ohms which is 3v and therefore the parallel would be 6v.

Turns out the parallel is 1 volt, which i dont understand.
    Just had a quick look at it, you minus the voltage the 6ohm resistor from the source voltage, then the voltage remaining is the same across both resistors in parallel isn't it

ReputationRep:
    wait it's easier than that. total R in parallel is 1/2+1/2, then V=IR which is 1x1=1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyb123)
    wait it's easier than that. total R in parallel is 1/2+1/2, then V=IR which is 1x1=1

Oh yeah ty.

ReputationRep:
    If the current through the parallel combination of resistors in 1.0A (as the circuit is in series), because the resistors have same resistance, the current splits equally into 2 so the current through one resistor in the parallel combination is 0.5A

using V=IR, V= 0.5A x 2 ohms = 1V

As the resistors are in parallel, the pd across both is the same.

or similarly, the 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/R equation can be used, giving you a eqvialent resistance of 1 ohm
    1 ohm x 1 A equals 1 V

I hope that's the answer :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tynos)
    Oh yeah ty.
    You're welcome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.