Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should i be worried about long term health because of this or am i worrying too much? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so when decribed my problem sounds really minor to people but I worry as its its really odd since im very fit and healthy otherwise. Basically for the past 3 years ive had nasal polyps and chronic nasal inflammation. Im guessing the inflammation has caused the polyps so the treatment..daily doses of nasal steroid sprays (and drops when it gets really bad) is aimed at reducing the inflammation. Withut the medication i cant even breath through my nose and ound like i have a peg on it. I still get symptoms daily in the morning im all sneezy, runny nose and in the evening my nose and back of my throat feels very tight. The weirdest thing is Ive still not found the cause. I avoid sprays, perfume smells best i can and there is nothing specific that triggers my symptoms when i go near it. It tends to be things like fans, changes in heat and just waking up in the morning.

I had allergy tests they were negative. However since i started taking an antihistamine everyday the sneezing in the morning has stopped but the tightness/swollen feeling is still there on and off throughout the day. Sometimes i'l go near a fan and be fine other times it will make me sneezy. I live with a huge german shepherd dog and am wondering if its him but i tested negative for pet allergies and do not get symptoms when i sniff him/go near him.

The thing i worry about most is the damage the chronic inflmmation could do in the long term... does anyone know if it will do any serious long term harm?? Like could it start to affect my airways? Ive seen several ENT consultants and had a CT scan (i have polypoidal mucosa and thick lining /sinus polyps in my left sinus. Is this likely to get worse and worse over the years? Ive asked the consultants but they never give a straight answer. Im scared of surgery/general anasthetic but surgery wont fix the inflammation anyway it will just be a temporary symptom fix.

I paid £80 for some sinus wars homeopathic stuff but it did nothing.

Although the problem is irritating (people always say i sound nasally) i get by but im worried about long term complications etc... Surely its not good for nasal/sinus lining to be chronically inflammed day in day out? A lot of people get nasal symptoms i know but its usually normal things like hayfever or allergies with this theres nothing i can identify and i have polyps also which i got told are rare for my age.

I wanted to ask on here as the consultants havent really said much just that its essential i keep taking the nasal spray.

Im taking antihistamines as well as nasal steroids but im worried about the long term effects of these too. They are meant to be safe but ive read online lots of people have developed glaucoma/cateracts.

Anyone know any good natural anti inflammatory vitamins/pills?

ReputationRep:
    anyone

ReputationRep:
    If the consultants haven't been able to offer any new suggestions, I'm afraid it's unlikely someone on TSR will be able to do so... My advice would be to see a new consultant and see if they are able to help anymore than your current one. Hope you can get it sorted!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.