Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

newcastle- france, help a brother out! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know i've left it a bit late to get the cheap cheap deals but i want to go see my girlfriend in Vannes in the second week of feb.
    Just really stuggling to find something cheap as there are lots of options.

Can anyone help me out and direct me to somewhere to help me look? or maybe someone knows the best place/ time to go from? just anything will help

The best ive found is newcastle to rennes via southampton return £180 flying on friday and monday.
    I've also found East midlands to Dinard although i am struggling massively with the dinard to vannes mission.

If anyone is kind enough to go overly out of their way the:
    - i want to travel back no later than the 11th
    -ideally travel out on the 8th but can go back as far as the 6th
    - would like to travel from newcastle but can go from anywhere with in 3hours ish via train.

Thank you so much for any help.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a cheap deal, you can go with Ryanair from Stansted to Tours (about 3h from Vannes...) The flight is around £90 return from the 6th to the 11th... Depends if you are up for all the travelling!

ReputationRep:
    If time is your friend you could consider travelling:
    Newcastle-Bournemouth (Cross-Country trains)
    Bournemouth-Weymouth (FGW/SWTrains)
    Weymouth-St Malo (Condor Ferries)
    St Malo-Vannes via Rennes (SNCF trains)

This looks like it may take out £200 but the sooner you book advance tickets or do some effective split ticketing to get you from Newcastle to Weymouth could help you lower the costs if you wish to do this route.

ReputationRep:
    From Newcastle it's €35 to Lille or €40 to Paris with Eurolines, and then you could covoiturage it to Vannes for around €20. Obviously not the most luxurious way to travel but it is relatively cheap and would get you there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    From Newcastle it's €35 to Lille or €40 to Paris with Eurolines, and then you could covoiturage it to Vannes for around €20. Obviously not the most luxurious way to travel but it is relatively cheap and would get you there!
    I did the covoiturage last time i was out there for a day trip and it was very good and saved a lot of money (my gf did all the speaking :P) but do you reckon they'd be ok with non-french speaking people? i imagine it would be awkward going from paris to vannes in silence :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyfacedDom)
    I did the covoiturage last time i was out there for a day trip and it was very good and saved a lot of money (my gf did all the speaking :P) but do you reckon they'd be ok with non-french speaking people? i imagine it would be awkward going from paris to vannes in silence :P
    No idea to be honest, it would depend on the driver. They usually list in their profiles how chatty they are and their language skills.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.