Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just received my a-level form and am thinking about choosing further maths, along with maths and physics.

How difficult is further maths?
    Is it about being genuinely gifted at maths or putting in the effort?
    How much work is it?
    Does the board make a difference, I think I do OCR?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you want to do in future. If you want to be an artist or something, Maths won't be much good I guess.
    Also, do you enjoy it? If not then I don't think it's a great choice to do it. What grades are you getting in Maths?
    It sounds good to go with physics and maths and certainly sets a good background if you want to be a Physician.
    From what teachers told me it's just another set of Maths units that are harder than the "standard Maths A level".
    Maths itself is probably a lot of work anyway. I think if you're gifted it's easier, but you still have to put the effort I guess, I am no maths genius, so I can't tell you.

ReputationRep:
    Do it. If you're any good at Maths you won 't regret it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You have to be good at maths. I'm not, and I did AS Further and found it quite difficult. OCR are good in some ways – they have a big past paper resource which is invaluable – but they also suck when it comes to setting questions which make sense, bizarrely. I had a broken paper in 2011 with an unanswerable question. But, given your choices, I would say that Further Maths would be ok for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisika)
    Hi,

I've just received my a-level form and am thinking about choosing further maths, along with maths and physics.

How much work is it?

thanks
    You need to be gifted at Maths AND put a lot of work in, and most importantly, enjoy it! You should probably be doing 30-60 minutes per day of maths, and more when it comes to exams.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing both maths and further to A2 and don't regret a thing

If you're pretty good at maths in the first place you'll be fine... further naturally introduces some more abstract concepts but I find it all pretty fun and if it turns out you don't like it some schools (like mine) make it easy to drop it or swap to another subject instead

Longer term, if you're planning on doing either maths or physics at uni, further would definitely be helpful, though nowhere requires it as far as I know.

in terms of extra work well... tbh im a bit lazy and get away with less than I should do but I don't really notice the workload too much, and I enjoy most of it anyway. You seem pretty interested in the maths/physics subjects (same as me) so that shouldn't be too much of a problem

Go for itttt

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing maths, physics and further maths for AS. I absolutely love maths and further maths. Further maths is the favorite so far, very interesting subject. You do have to understand the concepts and the logic behind them, I have friends who know the steps to take to solve certain stuff but they don't understand the concept and so end up forgetting it later on and I predict will do poorly in Jan Exam. If you like maths and are good at it to a certain extent and willing to put in effort roughly hour a day going over stuff done in class and understanding it, you wont regret it. My board is OCR MEI. Out of these subjects, physics is the hardest for me, you really got to know all the stuff. Hoping to get A in maths + further maths, and hopefully a B in physics for AS.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths was the hardest A level I did, but also the most rewarding. Both at the time - where I found it interesting - and now I'm at university - where it makes my maths work so much easier - I was grateful to have studied it. I can't really recommend it highly enough, especially if you want to go into a scientific field, which those A levels would indicate.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth saying that "Further Maths" is actually a whole range of difficulties, because you have a lot of choice about which modules to do.

EdExcel and OCR MEI give you the most flexibility. MEI is the most stretching.

You have to do at least 3 A2 modules, but can do as many as 5 A2 modules (and one AS module) within EdExcel.

For example: FP1, FP2, M2, S2, D1, D2 (if you did M1 and S1 in Maths) is a fairly low-difficulty selection.

FP1, FP2, FP3, M3, M4, M5 (if you did M1 and M2 in Maths) is a hardcore selection.

Some boards have 4 'FP' modules, and MEI has a whole module on Differential Equations.

So - assuming your school are supportive, you should be able to tailor the difficulty and content to what best suits you and your university choices. If you want to do Maths, Physics or Engineering then the Pure and Mechanics modules are where you should focus, for Biology, Economics, Social Sciences the Stats modules are good, and for Comp Sci the Decision modules are really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    If you achieved an A* in Maths, then it really isn't much more effort. It is exaggerated. Unless you scored an A, you could still take Further Maths but I'd imagine it to be more effort. Any lower than that then no way you should be taking it IMO.

It is more effort than other subjects, but not that much effort. It may start difficult then you get the hang of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisika)
    Hi,

How much work is it?

thanks
    A lot of work is required to do well, but I wouldn't say a combination of hard work and natural talent is required in order to do well. I find that the hardest part of further maths is understanding the content which isn't a problem but the papers are pretty straight forward. I found that the exams for Physics required more application than in maths.

For me FP1 was difficult to begin with but that was because I had never previously done anything like it but after awhile it became straight forward. I think the applied modules are quite easy even Mechanics but doing Physics helped me with Mechanics. Decision is easy but so boring and can be quite annoying. Statistics is easy but at times I did get easily confused.

Also trying to do as many Further Pure and Mechanics modules as possible is beneficial because Uni's prefer students to have done more of these modules than decision or stats.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.