Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friend addicted to cocaine, my fault? Watch

As a kid I used to smoke weed daily, went through a phase of smoking ecstacy, and also cocaine.

I was in year 10 when I became good friends with a classmate, let's call him Mark. Mark already smoked weed occasionally, but as we became friends I got him into it more.

Before meeting Mark, I had tried cocaine a few times. I suggested to Mark that we pick some up one day. We did.

Anyhow, fast forward 6 years, and Mark is doing cocaine daily. In addition, his sister has now married someone, which makes him Mark's brother in law.

Mark's brother in law and Mark both do cocaine together behind their sister/wive's back. If she knew she would be completely outraged. Mark is from a strict respectable family and his sister doesn't have the slightest idea.

Is this my fault?

Taking* ecstacy and cocaine

ReputationRep:
    Nope, he made his own choices, nothing was stopping him from saying "no" and walking away.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly as above. He is responsibile for his life and the choices he makes.

ReputationRep:
    na you can't blame yourself for his actions imo

As people have already said, it's his mainly his fault. If you never showed him in the beginning it might never have happened, though.

ReputationRep:
      Let's put it this way: you are the cause of his fault.

ReputationRep:
      so you introduced it to him? Nice one.

But he is an adult and responsible for his decisions.

I would suggest though that you take an interest in his support, if he ever asks for it.

ReputationRep:
      It's not your fault. People make their own decisions.

I know we can sometimes blame other people for suggesting to try something...but let's face it. We love them for the suggestion. We love them for showing us that amazing experience even if later it only leads to problems.

Stop blaming yourself.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      smoking ecstacy,
      That's a thing?

ReputationRep:
      Only pussies blame their addictions on other people.

Well, I guess with the exception of someone forcing you into taking heroin or something, but yeah.

ReputationRep:
      Not your fault at all. Its up to him. My ex was on drugs that I didn't know about. I know he smoke weed. Didn't know he was smoking crack as well. Which his been on and off with for 8 years. I had only know him for 4 years. But his mum blames me. My point is just because he smoked it didn't make me do it. The finger might get pointed at you. They always blame something or someone else.

ReputationRep:
      Nah, it isn't your fault. Yes, it wasn't a great thing for you to have encouraged him to do it. But people can think for themselves and have brains of their own. If it wasn't you that introduced him to it, it may have been someone else. That's just how life goes, you can't dwell on things too much by thinking 'what if', because that's the past and there's nothing you can do to change it.

It's like that part in Trainspotting,when Mark introduces his friend to drugs and he ends up clean and his friend is not. At that point he could have said no,as there was no pressure involved(I assume) and walked away,as the dangers are clear,but he didn't,so I wouldn't say it is your fault,although I can understand why you are feeling this way.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.