Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just a set of quick inter-related questions regarding the mechanics of the situation where you receive an offer from a college other than that to which you first applied:

1? If this happens, how is it communicated to you in letters and/or emails?
    2) Do you receive a letter from both colleges? What does the letter from your original college say? Is it just as though you had been rejected?
    3) What are the timescales?

Thanks for helping me with my neurosis...and for your time.

Tim

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timROGERS)
    Hi all,

Just a set of quick inter-related questions regarding the mechanics of the situation where you receive an offer from a college other than that to which you first applied:

1? If this happens, how is it communicated to you in letters and/or emails?
    2) Do you receive a letter from both colleges? What does the letter from your original college say? Is it just as though you had been rejected?
    3) What are the timescales?

Thanks for helping me with my neurosis...and for your time.

Tim
    1) For most UK applicants, everything you will hear will be by post. [Consider it a bonus if they email you as well.]
    2) Yes, you normally get a letter from both colleges. Your original tells you something like "sorry we can't make you an offer, but we understand another college will be touch, let us know if you don't get another letter" and then the college that is taking you also sends you a letter.
    3) All those letters get posted simultaneously.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your time - I really appreciate it.

For reference, I contacted the college of my application (Catz) and they're sending notifications via both email and post to all applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I applied in 2010, I heard from New College via email (a message saying 'we aren't giving you an offer, but we believe another college is'), then got a confirmation of my offer from Keble in the post 2 days later.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.