Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just got back from an appointment with the surgeon rading my hernia and he told me it was a very large one and requires urgant attentioon otherwise my bowels would need to be remeoved.

I am also going to edinburgh his weekend so I am quite worried that I won't be able to do much in case I put on extra strain and cuase any more damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I've just got back from an appointment with the surgeon rading my hernia and he told me it was a very large one and requires urgant attentioon otherwise my bowels would need to be remeoved.

I am also going to edinburgh his weekend so I am quite worried that I won't be able to do much in case I put on extra strain and cuase any more damage.
    well thats a bit of a downer. sorry to hear that

ReputationRep:

What is a hernia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    What is a hernia?
    I am not sure how to explain without sounding too rude, but its when the intensines drop down and go into the private area. It can be life threatening if left but the operation itself is very simple. However you can be in pain for a few weeks after the operation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no medic, but is it reducable- can it be pushed back into the ab. wall? And the bowel thing- are you talking about a resection?

You might feel better finding out more about the hernia; talk it over with UKL- you'll feel better, promise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    I'm no medic, but is it reducable- can it be pushed back into the ab. wall? And the bowel thing- are you talking about a resection?

You might feel better finding out more about the hernia; talk it over with UKL- you'll feel better, promise.
    Yeah they cut you open push it back and then put some mesh there to stop it happening again. My grandpa had it when he was my age and again again when he was 83, its genetic and the doctor said it nearly always is genetic.

The danger is that the bowels can be become trapped.

The doctor has arranged to for to have an emergency operation so it probably will be in a few weeks time unless I get pain from it I would hae to have it down straight away. There is normaly a 6 month waiting list but mine is too serious for that. :mad:

It shouldn't be a problem hopefully but the timing could not be worse. Also my summer holiday plans will have to be put on hold as I won't be able to get insurance until the operation is done.

ReputationRep:
    Try not to worry.
    The reducible ones can be temporarily treated with weight loss, chronic cough treatment etc. They aren't as dangerous as the non-reducible ones.
    Still, you'll have the herniorrhaphy to repair the tear in the abdominal wall. The steel mesh (hernioplasty) just reinforces the weak area.

Your bowels are only in danger if the protruding intestine becomes twisted or traps stool- they might remove part of the intestine in a bowel resection. Hopefully that won't happen.

Apparently, it is outpatient surgery or a few hour day surgery. You can go back home to recuperate. Just take it easy then, and let us know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    i heard that sometimes hernias explode and kill the patient at random. im sure it's nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    i heard that sometimes hernias explode and kill the patient at random. im sure it's nothing to worry about.
    Stop that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    you ******* Gimp!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    Try not to worry.
    The reducible ones can be temporarily treated with weight loss, chronic cough treatment etc. They aren't as dangerous as the non-reducible ones.
    Still, you'll have the herniorrhaphy to repair the tear in the abdominal wall. The steel mesh (hernioplasty) just reinforces the weak area.

Your bowels are only in danger if the protruding intestine becomes twisted or traps stool- they might remove part of the intestine in a bowel resection. Hopefully that won't happen.

Apparently, it is outpatient surgery or a few hour day surgery. You can go back home to recuperate. Just take it easy then, and let us know how it goes.
    Yeah it is outpatience, they said if I was a student living in halls I would have had to have stayed the night but because I am live at home my parents can look after me so its only going to be a day hospital operation.

It could be a lot worse I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, The hernia will be cleared up with the operation, you should be more worried about the stay in hospital after the operation, make sure you don't get too lazy or you may develop DVT, I know it's most unlikely but it was in our last case so just try and keep as active as you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Don't worry, The hernia will be cleared up with the operation, you should be more worried about the stay in hospital after the operation, make sure you don't get too lazy or you may develop DVT, I know it's most unlikely but it was in our last case so just try and keep as active as you can.
    Thanks, what is DVT? I am going to carry on clubbing/drinking as normal but just do less physical work i.e DIY.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, what is DVT? I am going to carry on clubbing/drinking as normal but just do less physical work i.e DIY.
    Oh yeah thats all ok, NO HEAVY LIFTING THOUGH.
    DVT = Deep vein thrombosis - like what you get in aeroplanes. During your hospital stay just try to keep active, walking about a bit otherwise you may find yourself slightly worse off than you are now. As long as your not an at risk group - i.e. Fat, Life smoker, etc you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Oh yeah thats all ok, NO HEAVY LIFTING THOUGH.
    DVT = Deep vein thrombosis - like what you get in aeroplanes. During your hospital stay just try to keep active, walking about a bit otherwise you may find yourself slightly worse off than you are now. As long as your not an at risk group - i.e. Fat, Life smoker, etc you will be fine.
    Thanks, I have a 5 hour train ride tomorrow but I will get up to the toilet evey hour or so, I always do to avoid DVT, I know what DVT is now, I just didn't realise it caused that.

I'm not fat, I don't smoke, I get the occasional heart burn but thats probably just normal, I am hoping they will check my blood preasure any everything before the operation anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I have a 5 hour train ride tomorrow but I will get up to the toilet evey hour or so, I always do to avoid DVT, I know what DVT is now, I just didn't realise it caused that.

I'm not fat, I don't smoke, I get the occasional heart burn but thats probably just normal, I am hoping they will check my blood preasure any everything before the operation anyway.
    I'm fairly confident they will, It'll also be interesting to see what preperation for surgery they give you as everyone keeps talking about that.

ReputationRep:
    DVT is Deep Vein Thrombosis - you hear about it a lot recently related to long-haul flights, but it can develop for many reasons. Basically, if you are not moving your legs, the blood pools in the veins and is not pumped back up to the heart. Clots (thrombi) can form in the veins, and if they break free and travel up to the heart then out into the lungs, they can lodge there, causing a pulmonary embolism which can be fatal. However, as long as you don't lie around in bed for weeks after your operation, it's likely you'll be fine.

As for the hernia itself, the operation is not a major one and with any luck it'll go fine. It's not uncommon, although it's not always in the same area (from your diffidence I'm assuming it's in the groin) - they can happen in several different places, and it's just when part of the intestine protrudes through the abdominal wall. You're only at risk if it is being compressed by the walls around it, which would damage the blood supply, and could cause that bit of intestine to die, but that seems to be unlikely in your case; if they thought it was about to strangulate they'd have had you in straight away.

You won't have your whole bowel removed! If they have to take out any they'll take out the affected bit and rejoin the ends, not as terrifying as you envisage. Hopefully though it won't come to that

ReputationRep:

*gives Ian a big hug and hopes he gets better soon*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    *gives Ian a big hug and hopes he gets better soon*
    aww thanks, hopefully everything will go fine but just beware after the operation when I'm bed ridden for a couple of days I shall be on here spamming like mad!

ReputationRep:
    aww thanks, hopefully everything will go fine but just beware after the operation when I'm bed ridden for a couple of days I shall be on here spamming like mad!
    Lol! I was the same when I was bed ridden for a couple of weeks with pleurisy, which was really painful. That was when my addiction to UKL took a hold....

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.