The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Eeyore
Lol! I was the same when I was bed ridden for a couple of weeks with pleurisy, which was really painful. That was when my addiction to UKL took a hold....

I will probably sound really thick here but was is pleurisy?
amazingtrade
I will probably sound really thick here but was is pleurisy?

Don't worry you don't sound thick, I had never heard of it until I had it! It's known for being an older persons' condition! :redface:

It's kind of complicated to explain, I believe it is an inflammation of the lining of the lung. Cos it's inflammed, it rubs against the same nerves which you feel when your rib is broken (I thought initially it was a broken rib), and it's a condition known for being really painful! I had to have a course of antibiotics and painkillers, and it didn't go away for at least six weeks. :frown::frown:
Reply 22
It's where the pleura (moist membrane, surrounds the lungs and lines the rib cage) gets inflamed. It can make breathing really painful.
Reply 23
Oops, I posted a little too late! I'm glad you're better Eeyore.
Reply 24
Just remember though, the pain only comes from the parietal pleura as the visceral is not innervated, could another medic please confirm this just to make sure my UK-L style revision is correct.
Reply 25
You're right, only the parietal pleura is sensitive to pain. :frown: :smile:
Reply 26
r316
You're right, only the parietal pleura is sensitive to pain. :frown: :smile:

And yet you say you're not a medic!

Yes, Daveo, you are right. Visceral pleura is only innervated by the sensory fibres carried with sympathetics, which refer pain to the relevant dermatome associated with the spinal level of their origin.

Wow, that sounds like I know something! I don't.
Reply 27
It sounds quite nasty, I wish humans were made 100% fault so we don't go wrong.
Reply 28
Helenia
And yet you say you're not a medic!

Yes, Daveo, you are right. Visceral pleura is only innervated by the sensory fibres carried with sympathetics, which refer pain to the relevant dermatome associated with the spinal level of their origin.

Wow, that sounds like I know something! I don't.

What year are you cos if your first year i'm scared......
Reply 29
A possible relevant thing I read- the visceral pleura is supplied by somatic nerves only, while the parietal pleura is supplied by intercostal nerves. That's why it can percieve pain- according to my understanding anyway! :biggrin:
Reply 30
Daveo
What year are you cos if your first year i'm scared......

First year, but don't worry - our course is different from yours, so we're doing all our anatomy except neuro this year. At least you get to see real people once in a while! (Yes, I know, I chose to do it this way :wink:)
Reply 31
amazingtrade
Yeah they cut you open push it back and then put some mesh there to stop it happening again. My grandpa had it when he was my age and again again when he was 83, its genetic and the doctor said it nearly always is genetic.

The danger is that the bowels can be become trapped.

The doctor has arranged to for to have an emergency operation so it probably will be in a few weeks time unless I get pain from it I would hae to have it down straight away. There is normaly a 6 month waiting list but mine is too serious for that. :mad:

It shouldn't be a problem hopefully but the timing could not be worse. Also my summer holiday plans will have to be put on hold as I won't be able to get insurance until the operation is done.

I'm sure u will be fine. Make sure u get better quickly so u can come back :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending