Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, in my lab report I'm allowed to use two figures, which I've done as graphs, but I also really want to include to tables so the results make more sense. My question is, do tables count as figures or are they separate and does your legend go at the top of a table as opposed to the bottom?

One more thing. Is it acceptable to put two graphs on one figure because they have been calculated the same and are related findings and when I discuss them it will be together?

Thanks!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    So, in my lab report I'm allowed to use two figures, which I've done as graphs, but I also really want to include to tables so the results make more sense. My question is, do tables count as figures or are they separate and does your legend go at the top of a table as opposed to the bottom?

One more thing. Is it acceptable to put two graphs on one figure because they have been calculated the same and are related findings and when I discuss them it will be together?

Thanks!
    I guess tables would count as figures seen as though they both contain data and you need to write about them in similar styles. However you would need to label the tables as table 1, table 2 ect... instead of calling them figures. Generally I don't think they mind too much, but placing the legends at the top would be the safe bet.

I don't quite understand what you mean. You can merge two graphs if they have the same axis's and you need to compare them. On the other hand, you cannot simply put one graph directly under the other or next to it, you'd need to label them separately, for example in the legend you could write "Figures 2 and 3, graphs to show...". The procedures might apply differently at your university however, so I would go and ask a demonstrator to confirm

ReputationRep:
    Okie dokie, thanks for your help! (:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.