Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English & white - not good if you live in London Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Oh yes, Bromley haha. They even have a Topshop there. You won't find the likes of TopShop in places like Catford or Lewisham. :rolf:
    Really? No TopShop in Catford or Lewisham? :hmmmm: How that you mention it, I have been to those towns quite a lot but don't recall seeing TopShop there, so maybe you're on to something :holmes:. No biggie, I probably most prefer Forever 21, which I have to travel all the way to Stratford or Oxford Street for :p:

(Original post by Parx)
    Well Bromley is truely an EXCEPTION. It was recorded on the census as the number 1 place in London where white English natives live. So that is different.

Yes but made in Chelsea are guess what? Well off, very well off. They don't live in Lambeth or Catford ... they live in Kensington and Knightsbridge.
    Well, at least my comment slightly debunked your generalisation that white people are apparently hard to find in London :p:. Bexley and Havering are also very "white" boroughs. Trust me, I'm black and have always felt like an ethnic minority where I live. And I definitely see what you mean in that when I travel to other parts of London, the demographics I observe are much more diverse. That said, it's never really been much of a problem to me tbh. People are people, the only things a bit different are skin colours and cultures, but apart from that why can't we all just embrace our differences and be happy as long as people are good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    No. The lack of white people and the breaking up of English culture is facilitating white people emigrating to areas where white people and white culture is present.
    That makes no sense! If white people stayed in London then there would be more "white culture" there. Nobody's forcing them to move and take "white culture" with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    I never said you did.............all I'm saying its not racist to have a racial preference when it comes to girls or to friends within reason.

Thats not true to be fair..........social doesn't mean you need a good school to get to know people. It can literally be anything, all it requires is a good friendly connection, whether its at work, or whatever..........there should even be online places for people looking to make new friends.
    Middle class circles of white English people mix as well, should know a few from college,etc
    Optimistic. Don't get me wrong, I see your point. Really it's just common sense. But having lived in and out of London and in and out of England I can certainly draw similarities and differences. IMO unless you go to a school where there is a healthy proportion of fairly educated white students, it is difficult to create a decent social life for yourself. Like I said with London, white English girls tend to either be top end or low end. Either they come from a family with a nice home and car, some money, good school, middle class background or it often is girl who mixes in with the ghetto culture on the streets - I guess you could say chavs essentially. You WILL NOT find a pretty middle class girl attending a ghetto school where 90% of people are black or asian. Just won't happen. There are subtle things that are unsaid such as that. So unless you have the opportunity to mix with the more educated white people (which is difficult if you aren't middle class or aren't going to a good school), then you don't get the opportunity to meet them in general. Not unless you start approaching them in the street or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Where the hell did you get that from?

Plus, if you're living in an area with high ethnic minority populations, then surely, they would constitute a major makeup of the businesses e.g. Subway.

"Have 18 white people and that group is perceived to be potentially racist by other ethnic minorities." - what are you on about?

"I'll go into work tomorrow and meet my 15 odd work colleagues. I'm the only English person. They're a great bunch and we have a laugh. But it's alienating being in England and being the only white English person knocking about" - what's the problem then?

Skin colour shouldn't be a factor when it comes to judging people.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...are-white.html

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arirang)
    I'm not English, but I grew up in N.Ireland and I've heard it's been a culture shock for some English people coming here because of the lack of ethnic minorities. When I was growing up, for a long time it was just White people and Chinese people, but more recently there's been an influx of Eastern Europeans, Black people and Muslims, and honestly, I think it's great! I work in a restaurant where all the staff are either locals, Eastern European or Southern European. There used to be more Chinese people working there, but not so much anymore.

I grew up in a very predominantly white area (as in, there were literally no ethnic minorities in my street) and my school was almost 100% white middle class students, but we did have Asian and Chinese students, they were probably the most popular kids actually, and everyone got along fine. Maybe there's a different feeling towards non-white people in England, because there's more of them, but here most people get along fine. I went to London a few weeks ago, and at no point did I ever feel like "Hey, where'd all the white people go?" maybe it was because I was staying in Piccadilly, but for me, the more ethnically diverse, the better. Being around your own race and nationality is nothing but a bore - there's so much to learn from non White people or non UK people and their cultures and I'd much rather have a group of friends who are from all over the place than from the same race, same country and same background. But that's just me.
    I don't mean to be rude but you are way way off. It's easy to go to central London and think that on a day out. Try living in the real London outside the center and see if you have the same opinion after a few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Really? No TopShop in Catford or Lewisham? :hmmmm: How that you mention it, I have been to those towns quite a lot but don't recall seeing TopShop there, so maybe you're on to something :holmes:. No biggie, I probably most prefer Forever 21, which I have to travel all the way to Stratford or Oxford Street for :p:

Well, at least my comment slightly debunked your generalisation that white people are apparently hard to find in London :p:. Bexley and Havering are also very "white" boroughs. Trust me, I'm black and have always felt like an ethnic minority where I live. And I definitely see what you mean in that when I travel to other parts of London, the demographics I observe are much more diverse. That said, it's never really been much of a problem to me tbh. People are people, the only things a bit different are skin colours and cultures, but apart from that why can't we all just embrace our differences and be happy as long as people are good?
    Ummm I hate to break it to you but Bromley isn't really London is it? It's outer London. That's why it's got lots of English natives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    Ummm I hate to break it to you but Bromley isn't really London is it? It's outer London. That's why it's got lots of English natives.
    Outer London is still London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameritus)
    That makes no sense! If white people stayed in London then there would be more "white culture" there. Nobody's forcing them to move and take "white culture" with them.
    Well what if asians and black and polish people move in in their droves, creating mosques, somalian cafes, polish supermarkets, chicken shops and asian corner shops within every 10 yard stretch? That's not breaking down white culture is it?

Because that is what the high street is more and more becoming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Where the hell did you get that from?
    The 2011 census has about 45% of Londoners being white Brits. Hardly a small minority, but it is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhaal_Chawal)
    Outer London is still London.
    what are you trying to prove exactly? Bromley is bordering London. It is not inner London in any way shape or form. That's why English natives are there still. But give it another 20 years and it will be all ethnics.

Why don't you give me somewhere in INNER London, actual London where white people are a majority in a working class environment?

IT DOESN'T EXIST

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    Optimistic. Don't get me wrong, I see your point. Really it's just common sense. But having lived in and out of London and in and out of England I can certainly draw similarities and differences. IMO unless you go to a school where there is a healthy proportion of fairly educated white students, it is difficult to create a decent social life for yourself. Like I said with London, white English girls tend to either be top end or low end. Either they come from a family with a nice home and car, some money, good school, middle class background or it often is girl who mixes in with the ghetto culture on the streets - I guess you could say chavs essentially. You WILL NOT find a pretty middle class girl attending a ghetto school where 90% of people are black or asian. Just won't happen. There are subtle things that are unsaid such as that. So unless you have the opportunity to mix with the more educated white people (which is difficult if you aren't middle class or aren't going to a good school), then you don't get the opportunity to meet them in general. Not unless you start approaching them in the street or something.
    It shoudn't matter what background she comes from..........if shes educatedm bice person and someone you connect with, does it really matter whether shes from working-class background or not. You never know......also some girls do attend schools which are considered very good despite the surroundings. 90% where people are non-white are very rare, even then it doesnt mean its in the ghetto.......it depends on the area. Well people certainly do find a way...........people get chatting from the smallest things, joining a club or something, or take part in activities or classes where you can meet people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    If you want to get technical, it's in Greater London. It's also outer London, South London, whatever you call it, it's still London. We have red buses and Oyster Cards here, so I think I can safely assume that it must be :p:. Some people do think of it as being in Kent though, as it used to be historically and it still gets written as so in addresses, but technically that's now incorrect anyway since a few decades ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    No, you don't get it. It's for a reason. Commercial businesses don't just set up shop in random areas - they place them in strategic locations after studying the demographic, racial and economic factors affecting such areas. For example, the Primark in Catford stocks up cheaper stuff; whereas whilst the Bromley Primark stocks up some of the same things, it also stocks up much more expensive (as in, expensive for Primark) stuff. It's all planned well, because Bromley retains more higher income residents than say, Catford or parts of Lewisham. By the way, I'm talking about near the Glades Shopping Centre here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    It's also got lots of affluent people of other skin tones (since we're being quite silly here). Where there's a red London bus, it's most likely London. And Bromley has lots of that. Bromley would be classed as the suburbs of London. In fact, whilst Bromley is in Kent on the Map, it is actually called "The London Borough of Bromley". You'll be surprised at how much London has grown in the past decades, swallowing up parts of Middlesex, Essex and Kent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    Well what if asians and black and polish people move in in their droves, creating mosques, somalian cafes, polish supermarkets, chicken shops and asian corner shops within every 10 yard stretch? That's not breaking down white culture is it?

Because that is what the high street is more and more becoming!
    So why don't white people open up their own cafes and shops instead then? There's nothing stopping them, and it's hardly like all these new "ethnic" shops are being newly built. Instead they're being opened in existing buildings which used to have English shops. There's no reason, at all, why a white person cannot open their own cafe or shop somewhere. The fact they choose not to inn some areas, means of course that someone else is going to come and open up their own shop.

ReputationRep:
    As a Londoner, I don't really have a clue what you're on about. I live in an area with a lot of ethnic minorities and many of the white people are Eastern European...yet I only have to go down the road to the pub if I want to see lots of working class white people, and there are plenty of others elsewhere too and that's in an area with a high number of ethnic minorities. There are plenty of places in London where white people are very much the majority.

Just plan to live somewhere slightly somewhere out of London if it concerns you so much. I have friends who live in places like Woodford, Loughton, Buckhurst Hill etc. which are technically in Essex but all on the central line and less than 40 minutes on the tube to Central London. They are very "English" in terms of both demographic and culture.

I've only ever met one person of my race in this country and I do just fine socially...I understand the desire for a more traditional English culture but you can definitely find that here. I'm not even trying and I've come across plenty of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    It shoudn't matter what background she comes from..........if shes educatedm bice person and someone you connect with, does it really matter whether shes from working-class background or not. You never know......also some girls do attend schools which are considered very good despite the surroundings. 90% where people are non-white are very rare, even then it doesnt mean its in the ghetto.......it depends on the area. Well people certainly do find a way...........people get chatting from the smallest things, joining a club or something, or take part in activities or classes where you can meet people.
    Yes but all that is alot easier said than done. Doing it in London is VERY difficult. I've lived in London for the past 8 years, attended some right dodgy schools/colleges. Am social as your average guy on the street. Infact my past and having lived abroad makes me a bit different and gives me something to say for myself that's a bit out of the normal. I have no problem getting along with people - but meeting white groups of people who become your friends? It's actually quite hard because as I said white people don't mix in groups anymore due to multiculturalism, unless they are coming from a middle class sort of background. That's why if I headed to Bromley tomorrow I'd see bucketloads of white English girls - because Bromley is generally a very well off area with lots of white English natives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belligerent ghoul)
    Just plan to live somewhere slightly somewhere out of London if it concerns you so much. I have friends who live in places like Woodford, Loughton, Buckhurst Hill etc. which are technically in Essex but all on the central line and less than 40 minutes on the tube to Central London. They are very "English" in terms of both demographic and culture.

I've only ever met one person of my race in this country and I do just fine socially...I understand the desire for a more traditional English culture but you can definitely find that here. I'm not even trying and I've come across plenty of it.
    Haha Woodford isn't technically in Essex, we're still in a London borough! :p: But true, it's very "English" here like you say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameritus)
    So why don't white people open up their own cafes and shops instead then? There's nothing stopping them, and it's hardly like all these new "ethnic" shops are being newly built. Instead they're being opened in existing buildings which used to have English shops. There's no reason, at all, why a white person cannot open their own cafe or shop somewhere. The fact they choose not to inn some areas, means of course that someone else is going to come and open up their own shop.
    Well think about it. White people had their shops, and so forth. Then a huge influx of people from abroad - what can we do? We are powerless when we get a huge influx like we've done over the last couple of decades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.