Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English & white - not good if you live in London Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It seems like you can't raise a racial issue on tsr without being pulled apart! If it was possible for everyone to see his point of view from a mutual perspective then these threads would be more meaningful but there's so many different backgrounds of TSR users that no real conclusion is made...which is normal, of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinglis95)
    It seems like you can't raise a racial issue on tsr without being pulled apart! If it was possible for everyone to see his point of view from a mutual perspective then these threads would be more meaningful but there's so many different backgrounds of TSR users that no real conclusion is made...which is normal, of course!
    because people on here like to make rational arguments.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    I'm not sure how she changed your post?

She added something on to my post in order to make my whole post seem wrong. Check it out

Sorry you felt the need to neg on it anyways, no hard feelings.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    I think you should learn what a strawman is before you accuse people of it. Or read the OP's post and understand what he's actually saying.

I didn't change what you posted at all. I simply quoted it and the provided what I think is a better analogy. You were comparing the OP wanting British friends to a Frenchman wanting French friends, conveniently ignoring that the OP wants WHITE British friends, not British friends in general. Thus, his situation is analogous to the situation I portrayed, not the one you did.

Well, I don't really care what the OP said, all I saw was that you had rephrased my post and quoted me, not the OP.

The fact that you had to make an addition to what I'd said made me not read it, it meant you were talking about what you had thought I'd said rather than what I'd actually said.

It was a strawman. You quoted me, not the OP. Doesn't really matter, just wanted it clear why I wasn't going to read and respond

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    She added something on to my post in order to make my whole post seem wrong. Check it out

I don't see what she added to your post....which is why I asked in the first place, what she "added", which I would love for you to point out

ReputationRep:

See, now I feel bad for negging you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    Optimistic. Don't get me wrong, I see your point. Really it's just common sense. But having lived in and out of London and in and out of England I can certainly draw similarities and differences. IMO unless you go to a school where there is a healthy proportion of fairly educated white students, it is difficult to create a decent social life for yourself. Like I said with London, white English girls tend to either be top end or low end. Either they come from a family with a nice home and car, some money, good school, middle class background or it often is girl who mixes in with the ghetto culture on the streets - I guess you could say chavs essentially. You WILL NOT find a pretty middle class girl attending a ghetto school where 90% of people are black or asian. Just won't happen. There are subtle things that are unsaid such as that. So unless you have the opportunity to mix with the more educated white people (which is difficult if you aren't middle class or aren't going to a good school), then you don't get the opportunity to meet them in general. Not unless you start approaching them in the street or something.

i think your focusing more on economic status because you say there are white people in London but they are either chav's or educated middle class. i don't understand why your looking for a middle class girl in a "getto" area, logic dictates you must go to a middle class area to find middle class people. and look for the white middle class people. i don't understand why your so fixated on finding white friends having a preference is fine but to be honest most people don't pay much attention iv'e been friends with white, black, Asian, Italian, japanese it just shouldn't matter really not that having a preference is wrong its just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    because people on here like to make rational arguments.
    Biased views don't equate to rational arguments and there is a hell of a lot of bias on here, not necessarily on this thread but the majority. With that said, this post was also biased, there's no winning!

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel any discomfort being a rarity between so many mixed people. I live almost in Central London and Elephant&Castle station is like 5-10min away from me and like 90% of people are non-white but am okay with that. Where I came from, 99% of people were white and it was boring, we had only like 1% of people from other background like I've seen in my town few Chinese people and like 2-3 Black people, the rest were all white. It was so boring and when seeing a different race of a person, it was like exotic to the eyes, not because of the race but because of a variety

ReputationRep:
    Biased views don't equate to rational arguments and there is a hell of a lot of bias on here, not necessarily on this thread but the majority. With that said, this post was also biased, there's no winning!
    What political agenda are the "biased" people purporting to advocate?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what she added to your post....which is why I asked in the first place, what she "added", which I would love for you to point out

Ergh fine.

My post:

Would there be anything wrong with a French person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture? No.
    Would there be anything wrong with a French person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture, but only so long as they're white? YES.
    That's completely added to my post. I saw that, and decided I wasn't going to waste time reading it.

Based on her response, I went back and read it. It's actually a very good post, but it should have been directed at the OP rather than me. She was putting words into my mouth, I would never have said something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Ergh fine.

My post:

That's completely added to my post. I saw that, and decided I wasn't going to waste time reading it.

Based on her response, I went back and read it. It's actually a very good post, but it should have been directed at the OP rather than me. She was putting words into my mouth, I would never have said something like that.
    She didn't add to your post. In your post, it came across that you were supporting the OP. She was simply pointing that what you said in that post is NOT what the OP was saying, therefore you were incorrect in making your comparison.
    She wasn't trying to say that what you said was in any way racist, but that your comparison was flawed.

I don't think anyone has an issue with people gathering with others of a shared background or heritage, but it's when they only want to gather with those *of a certain race* (which is what OP was saying) then THAT becomes racist. It is not "PC" to say so.

Please neg me back, it's only fair

ReputationRep:
    Let's pause for a second.

Would there be anything wrong with an African person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture? No.

Would there be anything wrong with a Middle Eastern person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture? No.

Would there be anything wrong with a French person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture? No.

The list is exhaustive. People can get really touchy about someone expressing the desire to meet up with people of the same culture because of the racist connotations (as he's white).

There's really nothing wrong with it. The OP is welcome to seek out his culture. He has racially diverse friends, he isn't saying he won't hang out with non white people, he just (admittedly very inarticulately) wants to spend time with people from the same culture as him, possibly to deal with insecurities he's having with his cultural identity.Most people act as if because people are white, they don't have a right to feel the need to be in touch with their culture and background. That's not the case, it's very important to feel a sense of identity.

Personally, I have never felt this desire. I know two white guys who are my friends, and then at least 10+ in my close circle that aren't. I don't find it to be an issue, as I'm quite secure in my racial identity. Perhaps OP, you should work on that yourself. Try to just accept who you are, and you'll start to realise that there's no real difference between races, and no need for all these feelings.
    who said anything about it being racist its perfectly fine with someone saying they want to hang out with other people of the same culture its just a healthy discussion and sharing of opinions. people need to just turn off their constantly operational racism radar im not white and thinking this is racist is about as ridiculous as you can get. i think its more of him wanting to hang out with people of a higher economic status because he mentioned that most white people in his area are in a lack of a better word chav's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    What political agenda are the "biased" people purporting to advocate?
    Not from a political viewpoint but from a religious. What I'm trying to get across is that there are so many different types of people on tsr that were brought up to think a certain way (due to their parents beliefs/subliminal religious influence) that everyone is going to have mixed views on the OP and it ends up turning into a neg war. This is my opinion anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Not from a political viewpoint but from a religious. What I'm trying to get across is that there are so many different types of people on tsr that were brought up to think a certain way (due to their parents beliefs/subliminal religious influence) that everyone is going to have mixed views on the OP and it ends up turning into a neg war. This is my opinion anyways.
    Oh yes, that's a given really.

Anything of a remotely political/religious nature on this forum just turns into two camps because of the wide range of beliefs and religions that the forum's members hold dear to them.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    She didn't add to your post. In your post, it came across that you were supporting the OP. She was simply pointing that what you said in that post is NOT what the OP was saying, therefore you were incorrect in making your comparison.
    She wasn't trying to say that what you said was in any way racist, but that your comparison was flawed.

I don't think anyone has an issue with people gathering with others of a shared background or heritage, but it's when they only want to gather with those *of a certain race* (which is what OP was saying) then THAT becomes racist. It is not "PC" to say so.

Please neg me back, it's only fair

lol I feel I can do more damage by not negging :fangs:

Well, if she felt that, she didn't read my post. In my post I tried to adress the blatant psychological issues the OP is experiencing, which is more than anyone else has done. Does anyone actually think outright saying 'You're wrong' is going to convince anyone?

My post actually acknowledged that it was psychologically normal for the OP to feel this way. Even if it's not, opening with that means that he'll actually read whatever I say next.

Interestingly enough it works in reverse, and people who are all riled up at the OP won't read anything past my first few lines because I'm seeming to agree with someone, despite the next few paragraphs clearly pointing out that the OP is wrong and needs help. C'est la vie.

I did not put words in your mouth, merely pointed out that your words were a bad analogy, and provided a better one.

And I retorted by saying that your analogy is not what I said, and as I pointed out above, I found it adorable and amusing that you didn't want to read any of my post properly. No harm done anywhere really, but you did strawman me. Nobody asked you to 'improve' my post.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a common experience, although ofc for many of us outside London it's a matter of knowing mainly white (British?) people. I don't think you sound like it's racism driving your want to meet others like you. Everyone lives under the influence of many cultures and it is sometimes the case that one alone doesn't understand the cultures other share, but also that others do not understand one's own culture. Since I started uni I have felt a similar isolation, though it just usually makes me want to go home to see my family, but I know others who have felt isolated mainly on the basis of race (and related cultures).

I suggest you not focus on it too much. Unless you have funds and the desire to leave your part of London, chances are you'll stay at least for a bit so if you end up dwelling on it, it'll leave you upset. People of all kinds are wonderful people and there are probably many things you share in common - this is what you should focus on, i.e. be positive!

Don't forget, even though you are a of a minority group in your area, the other percentage of people may also be minorities as "Asian" is a general term for a huge range of people (much more general than White British) and chances are although they share a lot, there are many things that separate them too. Also, consider that those around also experience the same, for culture is not just particular to "race", but religion, gender, sex, class, sexuality, etc. Some might share with you their experience if only you ask, but it is also true that these feelings are often left unrealized.

If you want to meet other white girls (love interests?) maybe use internet dating websites?

ReputationRep:
    lol I feel I can do more damage by not negging :fangs:

Well, if she felt that, she didn't read my post. In my post I tried to adress the blatant psychological issues the OP is experiencing, which is more than anyone else has done. Does anyone actually think outright saying 'You're wrong' is going to convince anyone?

My post actually acknowledged that it was psychologically normal for the OP to feel this way. Even if it's not, opening with that means that he'll actually read whatever I say next.

Interestingly enough it works in reverse, and people who are all riled up at the OP won't read anything past my first few lines because I'm seeming to agree with someone, despite the next few paragraphs clearly pointing out that the OP is wrong and needs help. C'est la vie.

And I retorted by saying that your analogy is not what I said, and as I pointed out above, I found it adorable and amusing that you didn't want to read any of my post properly. No harm done anywhere really, but you did strawman me. Nobody asked you to change my post.
    Well, if she felt that, she didn't read my post.
    I'm quite sure she did. Again, she was pointing out that you seemed to hint that people had a problem with others hanging out with people of the same background, which is NOT the substantive issue here. The issue here is that OP only wants WHITE people of his background to hang out with.

She was juxtaposing what you said with what OP said, as opposed to quoting you and slipping in the race issue. In reality, she was trying to point out what the OP was saying, but she replied to YOU because you seemed to be referencing something said, but you missed out on the essence of that reference, which is why she was trying to CORRECT you instead of quote you.

The fact that you missed out on the blatant racist leanings of OP's post was the main reason that I negged you btw. But now I'm sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    long text removed
    Know how you feel bro, growing up in a poor area of London myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    what are you trying to prove exactly? Bromley is bordering London. It is not inner London in any way shape or form. That's why English natives are there still. But give it another 20 years and it will be all ethnics.

Why don't you give me somewhere in INNER London, actual London where white people are a majority in a working class environment?

IT DOESN'T EXIST
    I'm sorry to break it to you but the vast majority of inner London in made up of two types socio-economic circumstances. You have the poor areas and the Wealthy areas. Areas that are poorer are more likely to be occupied by ethnic minorities is because they are relatively cheap and so migrants originally and still do set-up in those areas. The rest of inner London consists of pockets on upper middle class and super rich which consist of British white (your bakers, investment bankers, accountants) and foreign city workers. Those caught in the middle generally move out of inner London to avoid living in these poorer areas due to not being able to afford living there. This is made worse for families where the cost of an apartment in Fulham can buy you a family home in the commuter belt. That's why people move out of London, and also why you seem to be able to find few white british people where you live.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.