Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I have a good diet and I take up cycling will I lose some fat?

Upto now, I don't really do much exercise so if I take up cycling it must help me lose some weight won't it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Of course! If your daily calorie use is higher than your calorie intake, you will lose weight.

Don't have too much of a deficit. Eat about 300 below your maintenance, otherwise you will lose a lot of water weight and muscle, and not have as long-lasting results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The only thing about cycling is that it is pretty low impact. You have to do some serious mileage for any effect once you start getting used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    The only thing about cycling is that it is pretty low impact. You have to do some serious mileage for any effect once you start getting used to it.
    Depends on the Gradient, hill climbing can be very tough/a very good calorie burner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhaden)
    Depends on the Gradient, hill climbing can be very tough/a very good calorie burner.
    Depends on what gear you take the hill on. 99% of people especially beginners will just drop into 1st gear and slowly ratchet themselves up the hill. That doesn't burn a thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    I'm pretty fit and I go biking about 4 times a week and I find it pretty tough so I would disagree with this. Cycling on flatish roads is easy but lots of hills and offroad stuff is quite hard. Sometimes hills are really steep so you have to use the granny gear or you'll burn out before the end of the ride

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    Depends on what gear you take the hill on. 99% of people especially beginners will just drop into 1st gear and slowly ratchet themselves up the hill. That doesn't burn a thing.
    Well that's nothing like my experience of hills.. underestimating a gradient and ending up in a horrible sweaty breathless mess (nice image, I know) no matter which gear I used; so I can't really believe that it burns nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Heather.)
    I'm pretty fit and I go biking about 4 times a week and I find it pretty tough so I would disagree with this. Cycling on flatish roads is easy but lots of hills and offroad stuff is quite hard. Sometimes hills are really steep so you have to use the granny gear or you'll burn out before the end of the ride
    I never said it wasn't hard I said it's low-impact compared to say running up the hill or swimming against a current (if that's the swimming equivalent to hills)

(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Well that's nothing like my experience of hills.. underestimating a gradient and ending up in a horrible sweaty breathless mess (nice image, I know) no matter which gear I used; so I can't really believe that it burns nothing!
    If you're not used to it it's hard but not as hard as running and once you get used to it then it gets even easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    I never said it wasn't hard I said it's low-impact compared to say running up the hill or swimming against a current (if that's the swimming equivalent to hills)

Swimming is a low-impact exercise too. The only benefit impact has is that it's better for your bones, and so I cross-train with impact exercise and weights when I'm not cycling. The problem with running is that it's very easy to injure yourself, stress fractures etc, and so I have cut right back.

If you're not used to it it's hard but not as hard as running and once you get used to it then it gets even easier.
    It doesn't get easier because the better you get the more you push yourself. Things like racing and cycling up mountains are tough. I've done a bit of hill running too, and the main difference to me is that the running requires more cardio and cycling requires more strength. Running probably burns more fat, but cycling builds more muscle which burns fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Heather.)
    It doesn't get easier because the better you get the more you push yourself. Things like racing and cycling up mountains are tough. I've done a bit of hill running too, and the main difference to me is that the running requires more cardio and cycling requires more strength. Running probably burns more fat, but cycling builds more muscle which burns fat.
    It does get easier. Your body gets used to any exercise that you do a lot. I think there was a story about how Wiggins did a marathon and struggled which exemplifies my point. Marathon runners wouldn't make great cyclists either because their bodies are not conditioned to it. And cycling is one of the lowest impact sports because it's very efficient. You use somewhere in the region of 1/3 of the energy to cycle a mile that you would need to run a mile.

ReputationRep:
    3 years ago I lost about 25kg by cycling. That was on an exercise bike though

Its hard to say to what degree it will be effective because that depends on how much you cycle, the intensity and incline. It's definitely a healthy change though. See how you go and don't be afraid to supplement it with other forms of exercise if the weight isn't coming off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypocrism)
    Of course! If your daily calorie use is higher than your calorie intake, you will lose weight.
    Except exercise only slightly pushes up calorie use from your normal BMR

Half an oreo cookie can be burnt by a 100kg male climbing up 27 flights of stairs...
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Probably, depending on your definition of good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    It does get easier. Your body gets used to any exercise that you do a lot. I think there was a story about how Wiggins did a marathon and struggled which exemplifies my point. Marathon runners wouldn't make great cyclists either because their bodies are not conditioned to it. And cycling is one of the lowest impact sports because it's very efficient. You use somewhere in the region of 1/3 of the energy to cycle a mile that you would need to run a mile.
    Yeah, your body uses different muscles for running and cycling.

Impact has nothing to do with efficiency though - it's more to do with whether the exercise is weight-bearing or not. Running is harsh on the joints because your full body weight is hitting the ground with each stride, causing lots of impact which is why people get stress fractures etc.

True but it's unfair to compare running and cycling mile for mile. It's better to compare say an hour long run with an hour of cycling. Also it depends on the terrain. There is even a big difference between road biking and mountain biking. For example, I have done 15 mile tough mountain bike rides which have been more exhausting than 80 miles on the road, so mileage is largely irrelevant.

But either way, the OP will lose weight if whether she takes up cycling or running or a combination.

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard of zumba? Burns lotsa calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Except exercise only slightly pushes up calorie use from your normal BMR

Half an oreo cookie can be burnt by a 100kg male climbing up 27 flights of stairs...
    It's not hard to burn 500 calories a day biking, especially with hills. A 5 minute hill will burn about 50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypocrism)
    It's not hard to burn 500 calories a day biking, especially with hills. A 5 minute hill will burn about 50.
    Not many people who are trying to lose weight can continue a strenuous hill climb (probably around 80% of max?) for 50 minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Not many people who are trying to lose weight can continue a strenuous hill climb (probably around 80% of max?) for 50 minutes
    People can always take regular breaks when cycling if they are struggling. You don't only burn calories on the hills, your also burning calories on the flats and downhills. Besides cycle rides usually take a good few hours, you'd be suprised how many calories you can burn through long periods of exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    5 minutes.

Don't underestimate the benefit of a few hours of cycling! The balance on its own requires significant effort, and sustained exercise is setting the person up with better fitness for better kinds of weight loss like HIIT.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.