Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I find it's so hard to make friends :/ is this normal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I feel so stressed out and worried all the time. its not for lack of trying as I'm generally a quiet person but in the first few weeks I threw myself into meeting new people and trying to make friends, but nothing has sticked. does anyone else have difficulty making friends? I find it so hard as most of the people at the uni are so immature :/ I'm always dreading going back to uni after having a break :/ it's a shame as I really love my course

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elyse2012)
    I feel so stressed out and worried all the time. its not for lack of trying as I'm generally a quiet person but in the first few weeks I threw myself into meeting new people and trying to make friends, but nothing has sticked. does anyone else have difficulty making friends? I find it so hard as most of the people at the uni are so immature :/ I'm always dreading going back to uni after having a break :/ it's a shame as I really love my course

I do too. the feeling that when you make friends, you feel as if they're just temporary, as if there's not chance there'll be any contact between you after school? I guess they are just not your friend material. I am able to count my real friends on one hand and with other people, I don't seem to make that much of an effort. I really do know how you feel... I just can't express it. You know, it's one of those things that words can't explain - only mentality.

ReputationRep:

Hey, I also feel the same when it comes too making friends, I think maybe because people after a while start boring me but now iv decided that to live life you don't need anyone but yaself

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Ohh, it can feel hard sometimes. I know it's easy to say, but if you try to relax and be yourself and not try too hard, maybe it will just happen. Sometimes people are a little put off by too much keenness (I know from personal experience - I'm a try-er!) and being relaxed and confident makes you the kind of person that people want to know.

Are there things you want to be part of, you know, socs you can join? Often if you just concentrate on what you are interested in and pay less attention to trying to connect, it will happen in a more relaxed way, as other people will share your interest.

Hope that helps, do say more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UCLEmily)
    Ohh, it can feel hard sometimes. I know it's easy to say, but if you try to relax and be yourself and not try too hard, maybe it will just happen. Sometimes people are a little put off by too much keenness (I know from personal experience - I'm a try-er!) and being relaxed and confident makes you the kind of person that people want to know.

Are there things you want to be part of, you know, socs you can join? Often if you just concentrate on what you are interested in and pay less attention to trying to connect, it will happen in a more relaxed way, as other people will share your interest.

Hope that helps, do say more.
    Hey, thank you and yeah :/ I mean as my uni is quite a small one, there's not many societies to join, which makes it even more harder. Plus it is an American uni and all the people that I met and was on good terms with have created their own clicks and now don't speak to me :/ it's such an awkward situation. I am just hoping that things will change in the coming semesters,
    So did you have this problem yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thank you and yeah :/ I mean as my uni is quite a small one, there's not many societies to join, which makes it even more harder. Plus it is an American uni and all the people that I met and was on good terms with have created their own clicks and now don't speak to me :/ it's such an awkward situation. I am just hoping that things will change in the coming semesters,
    So did you have this problem yourself?

Oh right, you're at Regents? Or one of the others? I heard it's like that. I think if I was there I would try and reach out and do things in town more, try to get to know a wider circle of people. From all I've heard, it sounds hideous, but I know I shouldn't go just on stereotypes. What are your interests, are you into sports or arts or something? Are you not having fun just being in London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UCLEmily)
    Oh right, you're at Regents? Or one of the others? I heard it's like that. I think if I was there I would try and reach out and do things in town more, try to get to know a wider circle of people. From all I've heard, it sounds hideous, but I know I shouldn't go just on stereotypes. What are your interests, are you into sports or arts or something? Are you not having fun just being in London?

I'm at richmond uni and yeah I really. love London and I'm always going out there, but it's mostly on my own :/ most of the friends I have aren't really into going out in it :/ even if its for shopping .. It's dead weird yeah I'm into arts etc and I've been taking advantage of that in London

ReputationRep:
    oh my im so sorry to hear that... what course are you doing at the moment? how about the people from your current course? maybe you live off campus that your probably missing out on some social activities..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.