Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm a current applicant, and I'd like to know a little about changing my course when I'm at the university.

I've applied to do Chemistry, but due to a variety of reasons I'm not actually positive if it'll be for me, and I'm considering switching to a more Mathematical subject (or even straight Maths). However, I do love Chemistry, and I'd like to leave switching for as long as possible, since I'm not positive yet.

I'm planning on doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry in my first year (although the uni may be under the impression that I'd do Biology instead of Physics, since I'm doing AH Biology. I do have free choice don't I?) and then seeing what I enjoy at University level.

So, when would I have to decide when I want to switch my degree? And how would I go about this?

Also -slightly offtopic- how is your degree split in first year? Is each subject worth 40 credits?

ReputationRep:
    Afaik about Glasgow's system (I'm not a current student but I know a fair bit I think), the answer to your question is at the end of first year but I believe it could be second year as in second year science I think you are supposed to take two subjects, each worth 60 credits. I also know that for example if you want to do a degree in Physics and Astronomy, you do 60 credits Physics, 30 Astronomy and 30 Maths as the second year maths modules are 10 credits each but you need to take 6 of them to go into honours maths.

Also, just checked that you can do a joint honours Msci in Chemistry and Maths/Applied Maths if that interests you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.