Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I wasting my time with University? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!

My name is Alex and I am currently studying Film and Video at Newport University. This is my first year and so far it's had its ups and downs with regards to how I feel about the course etc...

It has come to my attention that I may just be wasting my time doing this degree as it wont REALLY help me get any further to pursue my career path which is either an editor or a director.

I chose the course as I've always (so I've been told) had a creative mind. It started off just as a hobby by creating my own short little films in my own time. So I thought that this is the career path I want to embark on and make a living out of. But now it has come to my attention that a degree for this type of career path is not really needed and that I should either get an apprenticeship or that I should be a runner, which is basically as low as it gets, and just work my way up and gain the experience needed.

This only came to mind when I did a little bit of research and found that experience is what the media industry is looking for, so I feel that I may just be wasting time and money when I could be trying to gain some experience.

Really I just need some advice, I really am keen to get into the filming industry as I would feel like I'm at home and that it would be worth getting up at stupid O'clock in the morning to appear on set/shoot. I will admit though, education isn't really my forte and never really have "enjoyed" school or college.

ReputationRep:
    Career path aside, do you enjoy the course and feel inspired/getting something out of it? If not, then this may be a problem. I think there's a point doing a course you enjoy even if you don't have a particular career path in mind, but I don't think there's a point doing a course you're not enjoying and don't feel like it's going to get you anywhere. It's a lot of money and while 3 years can fly by, it could be three expensive years doing something you'll struggle to engage with.

Additionally you said you didn't really like education, and university is precisely that: education and studying. It sounds like you're much more interested in the practical side of things while university involves more theory. I don't know much about film and television, but judging by your post this seems to be the case.

You need to do more extensive research into this as you could regret dropping out, but at the same time you don't want to waste three years doing something you don't feel is beneficial in any way, shape or form and certainly something you're getting nothing out of. I'm sorry to not be more help than this, as being indecisive can be very annoying especially when it comes to your career. If you could find a forum on here which relates to Film and TV you might be able to get additional advice from students who actually do film-related courses. Have a look here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=316

Good luck and I hope you make the decision which is right for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabberwox)
    Additionally you said you didn't really like education, and university is precisely that: education and studying. It sounds like you're much more interested in the practical side of things while university involves more theory. I don't know much about film and television, but judging by your post this seems to be the case.
    That is very true, I have always loved the practical side of education rather than the theory side of it. This has been told to be on several occasions.

Thank you ever so much for the reply! At this point any advice will help rather than just been left in the dark. I shall repost this on the link that you have provided.

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pye-face)
    Hello all!

My name is Alex and I am currently studying Film and Video at Newport University. This is my first year and so far it's had its ups and downs with regards to how I feel about the course etc...

It has come to my attention that I may just be wasting my time doing this degree as it wont REALLY help me get any further to pursue my career path which is either an editor or a director.

I chose the course as I've always (so I've neen told) had a creative mind. It started off just as a hobby by creating my own short little films in my own time. So I thought that this is the career path I want to embark on and make a living out of. But now it has come to my attention that a degree for this type of career path is not really needed and that I should either get an apprenticeship or that I should be a runner, which is basically as low as it gets, and just work my way up and gain the experience needed.

This only came to mind when I did a little bit of research and found that experience is what the media industry is looking for, so I feel that I may just be wasting time and money when I could be trying to gain some experience.

Really I just need some advice, I really am keen to get into the filming industry as I would feel like I'm at home and that it would be worth getting up at stupid O'clock in the morning to appear on set/shoot. I will admit though, education isn't really my forte and never really have "enjoyed" school or college.
    I'm exactly like you in what I want to do mate. Directing/editing is my dream. I was planning on doing the Film and Television fiction course at Hertfordshire. Then the same thoughts as you are saying now came into my head.

Directors have come out of university courses in England - but they are far and fetched. I'm big on film directors, yet the only significant one I can recall in recent times (past 10 years) is Edgar Wright (Sean of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, produced Adventures of Tintin with Spielberg/Jackson). He came out of Bournemouth Arts College - but it's hardly the integral factor to his success. Networking and constantly promoting your material is the best way.

The harsh reality is that Britain's film industry isn't looking good, and this reflects on its film graduate prospects. The University of California, Los Angeles Campus (often known as UCLA) is the one place where your big guns come out. No British university, apart from maybe London Film Academy, will produce consistent notable names year in, year out.

Your best bet is to join film societies or clubs in your area, or relocate to London. England is very limited with our film industry, the Government cut the film council out a couple of years ago. Post everything you do on Youtube, Vimeo etc etc. Get networking with other people.

If you're asking yourself those questions now, I think you know it's time to seriously think if you want to spend another 30 grand over the next 2 and a bit years (probably more) not really going in the direction you want to, or save 30 grand and create your own pathway in life.

In the industry its as much who you know as it is what you know.

All the luck to you buddy, if you ever want to send me your work i'm always happy to watch a fellow filmmakers cuts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.