Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what do u mean when u say you feel depressed Watch

i been diagnosed with severe depression since a long time ago , but i often cant explain how i feel

i was just wondering , for people who got depression ( referring to clinical depression diagnosis) if you say you feel depressed , what does it mean?
    as in what do u feel ,how would u describle that feeling (not other symptom like hopeless or helpless, but as in what does depressed as a symptom mean to u )

i am sorry i couldnt make this more clear , but i couldnt figure a way to say this .

ReputationRep:
    For me I often feel lonely, homesick, I feel like I want to cry all the time (and do) and that everyone is against me, that there is no point in anything. On bad days I stay in bed all day as I don't see the point in getting up or doing anything. Everything is just so pointless. I avoid people as no one really understands what you're going through.

I know these are all general symptoms, I know how you feel, I don't really know what to say. My mum gets frustrated when she asks what I feel and I can't explain it, it is really hard to put into words unless you've felt it yourself.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i been diagnosed with severe depression since a long time ago , but i often cant explain how i feel

i was just wondering , for people who got depression ( referring to clinical depression diagnosis) if you say you feel depressed , what does it mean?
    as in what do u feel ,how would u describle that feeling (not other symptom like hopeless or helpless, but as in what does depressed as a symptom mean to u )

i am sorry i couldnt make this more clear , but i couldnt figure a way to say this .
    I think when I say "depressed" I am referring to more than just one thing. You mentioned helpless and hopeless, I think they both fall under the "depressed" umbrella along with other feelings as well like sadness, emptyness, unsure about the future, maybe anger, guilt, erm a whole host of different things - that's what I mean when I say depressed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what Sabertooth says. When I say I'm feeling quite depressed it's usually quite crippling-cant get out of bed type. Just feeling pretty lifeless, absent.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I feel empty and I feel drained mentally.

ReputationRep:
    i feel physically and mentally numb like theres no way out, despite everyones attempts to cheer me up and even if everything in my life is going brilliantly i still feel trapped like im not myself just that i am a object rather than a person
    stay strong everyone

ReputationRep:
    it is when i am so upset that it is painful and this pain lasts for long periods of time i.e. at least weeks. with this pain also comes anxiety and total disinterest in everything. dark, evil, disturbing and heart breaking

ReputationRep:
    I think about it like a layer of gauze between you and the outside world; it makes it difficult or even impossible to engage with other people or for positive stimuli to get in, so all that's left inside your mind is an all-encompassing sadness. That and a tremendous lethargy.

ReputationRep:
    I feel emotionally and physically tired, and I feel like I can actually feel a pain inside me that is causing all the negative emotion. I get angry and just want this 'pain' to go away. I also stay in bed all day and avoid all commitments and people. I block people out and turn my phone off, generally wanting to be alone and let it pass on my own (comes in episodes for me). I cry until I feel it isn't possible for more tears to come out, but they do, and I look like an idiot because of how puffy my eyes go.

The above two posts nail it for me.

ReputationRep:
    When doing even the smallest of things seems like a huge undertaking.

ReputationRep:
    It means for me being a robot with everything. I dont feel a thing. Cant sleep, cant eat, cant drink, cant feel, cant think.

You have no energy for anything. You want the world to stop / end... Kind of goes too quickly. You feel like you want to just lie in bed and do nothing and think about nothing.

My depressive phases last about a week usually, n its really hard to get out of it. Especially now when you have to revise and go to work and go on social nights out, its almost like depression can distruct your life... Ill probably fail the psychology exam in a week n abits time as i had a depressive state that lasted 2 weeks - worst one yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get very lonely, stressed and angry with myself and other people. I had a period of severe depression which lasted about half a year, but that was I while ago. I tend to just get it some random evenings - it just comes out of the blue. Maybe that lasts for a few days and I feel really lethargic and hopeless, and then I get better and wonder what I was feeling so bad about...

ReputationRep:
    For me, I just feel really, really empty inside and I lose satisfaction in the things I normally enjoy. It feels like a part of me is missing and I find I get frustrated easily with myself and others. It is a really weird thing to try and explain haha and like some of the other posters, I tend to get these feelings in phases. I am definitely worse over the winter but I've found that these phases have become worse and more prolonged the older I've got, to the point where I haven't felt 'right' in weeks.

ReputationRep:
    i feel empty for maybe a day or two, then i start hating myself, write myself abusive notes, cry for hours, usually after a while i have to find someone to talk to or i feel like dying.

ReputationRep:
    I often pay interest to from associates who experience very incredibly that their spouse's despression signs is the purpose for at least some of the serious issues in their wedding. Often, these associates tell me that their associates have estimated their despression signs onto the wedding and have suggested or suggested to the associates that they don't really like them any longer and are considering a crack, breaking, or separation and divorce.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really 'feel' anything, I feel mentally numb and like nothing matters. I feel exhausted, drained and just not really living. It's so hard to explain to someone who's never really felt that stuff. But it's not just about being sad, it's like being completely detached from the whole world.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been depressed so long now I have no idea how i would feel without it. yeah these are probably symptoms but it has made me very anxious which has caused me to not see my friends anymore which has caused me to be lonely which has in turn increased my anxiety and depression. i feel constantly tired sleep at least ten hours, cant sleep until after 3/4. feel like everything is a big chore/effort. find it hard to get up out of bed, always empty iniside, wondering why me and wanting to be a kid again/rewind time to something nicer from my childhood when everything wasnt so bad. i stare off into space and lose concentration a lot. no motivation for anything - this past semester at uni i missed two deadlines and didnt even go to half my classes/lectures, just couldnt get out of bed for them. self esteem is just non existant i just feel ugly all the time, never had a girlfriend and probably never will even though all i want from life in the future is a family, its all ive ever wanted but no its too much to ask, I have to be ugly and shy which basically means im screwed, seriously who would go out with me (girls reading this would you go out with someone who.. isnt funny, isnt good looking, isnt smart (i mean like really smart) isnt rich and who is a fairly quiet person.) I feel like i would like my life to come to an end frequently i would never kill myself because i wouldnt do that to my family but if i could just die in my sleep tonight i would hope i do. - enough of my rant but basically these are all the things i feel that i sum up with the word 'depressed'.

ReputationRep:
    There's times when I feel lonely and upset - but for obvious reason. Because I'm alone and with a very small social circle and a feeling of being 'trapped'. This is just me being sad and I don't like to confuse that with depression.

The times where I feel properly depressed, the key symptoms I experience are apathy & emotional blunting. Things I would usually find fun/look forward to become dull. The feeling of there not being much point in carrying on since there's no joy to be had in my forseeable future. People who's company I'd normally enjoy just become annoying and I want to retreat to my room and be alone (whereas if I was just feeling upset, I would actively seek companionship). And despite the logical side of me knowing that these feelings will go away, deep down I feel like these feelings will not go away and that these feelings are completely rational. These usually come in ~3 hour episodes, commonly occurring when I'm under stress.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.