Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I stop my hamster biting his water bottle? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When he drinks he chews the metal part a bit and also sort of puts it in his pouch, I'm worried he might hurt himself.

The bottle works fine, anything I can do to discourage this other than a water bowl?

ReputationRep:
    pictures? :dontknow:
    doubt i could be of help, but wouldnt hurt to have some pictures for clarification

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by 'sort of puts it in his pouch'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    pictures? :dontknow:
    doubt i could be of help, but wouldnt hurt to have some pictures for clarification
    I tried but he's too much of a poser!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxxyx)
    What do you mean by 'sort of puts it in his pouch'
    He slides his cheek over the metal spout.

ReputationRep:
    I think he may be horny. Buy a female hamster to accompany him

ReputationRep:
    It's normal hamster behaviour. Don't worry about it, unfortunately some chew more than others. Mine bites her cage all the time but it won't harm them x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emii92)
    It's normal hamster behaviour. Don't worry about it, unfortunately some chew more than others. Mine bites her cage all the time but it won't harm them x
    Ok thank you It's not the chewing more the spout in his cheek thing I worry about in case he damages his pouch.

ReputationRep:
    Aa yeah hamsters are strange creature i wouldnt worry tooo much if it was hurting him sure hed stop. Mine fitted 23 biscuits in her cheeks once! so they are very erm stretchy! hehe

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible he's getting frustrated with the amount of water that comes out?
    I tried the ferplast sippy with my mice for a while and they preferred it to any other water bottle as they could push the dripper up and drink the flow of water rather than have it a drip at a time.

Here's a mouse I interrupted while drinking from it, you can sort of see she's pushing the spout up.

I now use an egg cup in a plant pot saucer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.