Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Huge Data Usage for "Android OS" Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had my Galaxy S2 for over a year now and I recently connected it to my computer to upload some music to it. I got a system message from Kies saying Ice Cream Sandwich had been released and obviously I updated it, following all the instructions. What with the new Data Usage graph and statistics tool I have noticed that "Android OS" is using a colossal amount of data. I have unlimited data, but I am worried about what is causing this.

From 18th December to present it has used 854MB via 3g and 649MB via WiFi. Just for comparison, my usage for other apps in that time is Internet 90MB, Facebook 40MB, BBC News 20MB and pretty much everything is less than this. I only have a 10 minute commute and subsequently, I don't use my phone for media or browsing much, really.

What could be causing this huge data use? I don't have sync on for anything, I have one widget which I have set to not refresh, I have backup and location services turned off...I've tried everything. I install the Onavo data usage app and it says since the 5th (when I installed it) Android OS + Others has used 6.7MB, whereas the system data usage says I have used 33.33MB for Android Os. I've also noticed that my battery life has been rubbish lately. Just what is going on?? Can anyone help?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    I've had my Galaxy S2 for over a year now and I recently connected it to my computer to upload some music to it. I got a system message from Kies saying Ice Cream Sandwich had been released and obviously I updated it, following all the instructions. What with the new Data Usage graph and statistics tool I have noticed that "Android OS" is using a colossal amount of data. I have unlimited data, but I am worried about what is causing this.

From 18th December to present it has used 854MB via 3g and 649MB via WiFi. Just for comparison, my usage for other apps in that time is Internet 90MB, Facebook 40MB, BBC News 20MB and pretty much everything is less than this. I only have a 10 minute commute and subsequently, I don't use my phone for media or browsing much, really.

What could be causing this huge data use? I don't have sync on for anything, I have one widget which I have set to not refresh, I have backup and location services turned off...I've tried everything. I install the Onavo data usage app and it says since the 5th (when I installed it) Android OS + Others has used 6.7MB, whereas the system data usage says I have used 33.33MB for Android Os. I've also noticed that my battery life has been rubbish lately. Just what is going on?? Can anyone help?

Thank you!
    I'd suggest getting a data monitoring app from the market and finding out exactly what it is that's pulling down that much data, as that's very unusual!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1909)
    I'd suggest getting a data monitoring app from the market and finding out exactly what it is that's pulling down that much data, as that's very unusual!
    Hello

Just to clarify, I did download data monitor app; it's the one I mentioned in my OP called Onavo. All it says is that "Android OS + others has used 7.1MB since the 5th, but the system data usage says I have used 33.67MB for "Android OS". I'm totally confused :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Possibly system and app updates, but would recommend you get an app to track exactly what it is as there is some pretty nasty malware for android (unless you tried to get apps off the internet and avoid paying its unlikely you do have it) which can do stuff like sending out loads spam from your phone.

ReputationRep:
    +1^

I'd recommend running some sort of anti-virus software to see if it picks anything up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHedges)
    +1^

I'd recommend running some sort of anti-virus software to see if it picks anything up
    There's really no need to antivirus software on phones. If he's installed apps only from the Play store, then there's near enough zero chance of having any viruses on the phone.

ReputationRep:
    There's really no need to antivirus software on phones. If he's installed apps only from the Play store, then there's near enough zero chance of having any viruses on the phone.
    Not really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    Hello

Just to clarify, I did download data monitor app; it's the one I mentioned in my OP called Onavo. All it says is that "Android OS + others has used 7.1MB since the 5th, but the system data usage says I have used 33.67MB for "Android OS". I'm totally confused :confused:
    I'm a bit confused, where did the 800MB data use readings come from? Is that from the built in monitor? If you installed the Onavo after that then that's why they'll be different, as it will only have been reading from after you installed it, it won't be able to pull the data from beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    Actually it's a very real threat, once the app is on it's very easy for the publisher to include a virus in an update and the app can only be vetted every so often

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Not really...
    Yes really...

Care to explain/give examples of why antivirus software is necessary? The only way you would have any chance of getting a virus on any phone, is by installing dodgy apps. If you don't do that, you'll be fine. There have been occasions where there's been apps that have made it onto the market with malicious code, but they don't last long on there, and are swiftly deleted and removed, and there's only been a couple of occasions where that's happened.

Other than that, you're safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHedges)
    Actually it's a very real threat, once the app is on it's very easy for the publisher to include a virus in an update and the app can only be vetted every so often
    Interesting, if true. Can you give any examples of that happening? (Genuinely curious, as it's not something I've ever heard of happening.)

ReputationRep:
    Hard to say really i don't really use android, but first of i would say maybe think about reinstalling the OS, as there could be a issue with it, i have heard of this issue before which seems to be quite common on the s2 on ICS.

Regarding the battery there could be a few possibilities, (not saying these are the causes)

-Different apps can decrease the battery such as free apps, as they use more battery life if they have adverts

-Something might be effecting the OS which could be the cause (maybe a virus)

-Games and apps that use your location also uses more battery, as they use your 3G connection which starts from when the app is opened

-Flash backgrounds and high brightness can also decrease battery

-3G uses more battery than wifi

- Widgets such as the weather can update to much using more data

There was or maybe still is on the galaxy s2 an app called "AP MOBILE" which use to use huge amounts of data and couldn't be removed unless the phone was rooted that could also be the cause

There only a few things i can think of, if a reinstall of OS docent work, then maybe you need to replace the battery.
    Hope you get it sorted and luckily you have Unlimited data.

ReputationRep:
    Question: will ubuntu for android just create an ubuntu desktop environment when docked or will it allow an ubuntu environment on top of android?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    Question: will ubuntu for android just create an ubuntu desktop environment when docked or will it allow an ubuntu environment on top of android?
    As far as I know, they were pushing it as a full OS. So it wouldn't run on top of android, it would be an alternative to it. I only skimmed the presentation though, so may well be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that it creates a complete desktop environment for docked android phones.. if that helps ?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, they were pushing it as a full OS. So it wouldn't run on top of android, it would be an alternative to it. I only skimmed the presentation though, so may well be wrong.
    Ubuntu for android not Ubuntu for mobiles I said.

Have you had a firmware update OP?

ReputationRep:
    Ubuntu for android not Ubuntu for mobiles I said.

Have you had a firmware update OP?
    Looks like I was getting myself confused! I'd assumed that the Ubutu for mobiles was the progression of the Ubuntu for android system. Looks like they're running them both!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Netje)
    I believe that it creates a complete desktop environment for docked android phones.. if that helps ?
    bingo, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, if true. Can you give any examples of that happening? (Genuinely curious, as it's not something I've ever heard of happening.)
    I had a quick google and I couldn't find anything, I'm sure I heard it somewhere but perhaps I'm making it up..

ReputationRep:
    Yes really...

Care to explain/give examples of why antivirus software is necessary? The only way you would have any chance of getting a virus on any phone, is by installing dodgy apps. If you don't do that, you'll be fine. There have been occasions where there's been apps that have made it onto the market with malicious code, but they don't last long on there, and are swiftly deleted and removed, and there's only been a couple of occasions where that's happened.

Other than that, you're safe.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/20183...-than-pcs.html

Fake apps, social networks, websites... All can do bad things. It actually surprised me this report. I knew I'd read a previous attack had hit 0.5million devices and I was trying to find that one... But that, honestly didn't think it was that bad!

Of course, as good as AV can be, safe and aware browsing and installation of applications is still the best way to avoid attacks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.