Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Huge Data Usage for "Android OS" Watch

ReputationRep:
    There has always mainly been a issue with virus on android devices, don't forget unlike the Apple App Store not every app was checked before was shown on the store, which i think has now changed as these sorts of viruses where around.

I believe unless you download not thought the official App Store google uses that there is not a big threat but still there could be as these days new viruses are always been created, and are not all detected.
    Thats why its recommended most android phones run a virus scanner such as AVG.

Due the way android OS is these things happen, you can even get a virus thought using the browser which can do more harm

Also don't forget that app which stole peoples credit card details which even appeared on Google Play.

Im afraid the internet is not a safe place anymore, its up to you to decide weather you use a virus scanner to protect against these sorts of things.

ReputationRep:
    Preventions's always the best cure

ReputationRep:
    Androids are crap. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  wonka1.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  30.3 KB

Tell me more about how your reasonably priced iPhone is so much better than my android?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHedges)
    Name:  wonka1.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  30.3 KB

Tell me more about how your reasonably priced iPhone is so much better than my android?
    Why does everyone keep using that Willy Wonka pic?! lol

I have a Nokia 3310. Still. £8 a month on T-Mobile sim only with 300 minutes, 500 T-Mobile minutes and 5000 texts. £96 a year for a phone which does the main purpose of a phone... to phone people. hahaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by photographylover)

I have a Nokia 3310. Still. £8 a month on T-Mobile sim only with 300 minutes, 500 T-Mobile minutes and 5000 texts. £96 a year for a phone which does the main purpose of a phone... to phone people. hahaa
    Each to their own. Although I doubt the above is true.

ReputationRep:
    I still don't know what's going on. I don't know whether to believe the Onavo app that I've just installed as it says Android OS has used 14.4MB but the system tool says 89MB..it's used 50MB today alone with "Android OS"..and my battery life is terrible. It had full battery when I woke up, I used the music player whilst I was out for a few hours along with Whatsapp and now my battery is at 17%. It's never been like this. I'm not sure if upgrading to Ice Cream Sandwhich is what may have caused it.

What should I do?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    I still don't know what's going on. I don't know whether to believe the Onavo app that I've just installed as it says Android OS has used 14.4MB but the system tool says 89MB..it's used 50MB today alone with "Android OS"..and my battery life is terrible. It had full battery when I woke up, I used the music player whilst I was out for a few hours along with Whatsapp and now my battery is at 17%. It's never been like this. I'm not sure if upgrading to Ice Cream Sandwhich is what may have caused it.

What should I do?? :confused:
    I'm no proper expert but I have an S2 too. The wait for ICS was too long for me so I rooted my phone and put a custom ROM on. Best decision ever so long as you know what you're doing.

From what it seems you may have to do a factory reset? If you can't find any malicious stuff on your phone then it might just have been a bad install I have heard it's happened to a fair few people.

Battery could be solved by either giving it a few full charges from near 0% to 100% or of that's not the case you would need to root to clear battery stats.

Hopefully someone here has the answer that doesn't involve factory reset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    I'm no proper expert but I have an S2 too. The wait for ICS was too long for me so I rooted my phone and put a custom ROM on. Best decision ever so long as you know what you're doing.

From what it seems you may have to do a factory reset? If you can't find any malicious stuff on your phone then it might just have been a bad install I have heard it's happened to a fair few people.

Battery could be solved by either giving it a few full charges from near 0% to 100% or of that's not the case you would need to root to clear battery stats.

Hopefully someone here has the answer that doesn't involve factory reset.
    Hi Shakeey, thanks for your response. I've been trawling the net and I don't know what the problem could be. There are numerous threads made in various android forums but the solutions never comes to one single definable source. I never kept an eye on my usage before but my battery life has always been good so I'm presuming it's something recent; and I think it started happening around the time I updated to ICS. I'm at a loss as to what it could be really so I'm just currently in the process of backing up my data to my computer so I can do a factory reset. I'm not brave enough to root my android as I don't want to invalidate my warranty; I couldn't afford a new phone if something went wrong.

If the factory reset doesn't work then I guess I'll have to speak to my network operator.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Shakeey, thanks for your response. I've been trawling the net and I don't know what the problem could be. There are numerous threads made in various android forums but the solutions never comes to one single definable source. I never kept an eye on my usage before but my battery life has always been good so I'm presuming it's something recent; and I think it started happening around the time I updated to ICS. I'm at a loss as to what it could be really so I'm just currently in the process of backing up my data to my computer so I can do a factory reset. I'm not brave enough to root my android as I don't want to invalidate my warranty; I couldn't afford a new phone if something went wrong.

If the factory reset doesn't work then I guess I'll have to speak to my network operator.
    I know what you mean with the rooting but that is actually the easiest bit. Once you have the one file and one program you need it's as easy pie. The great thing with rooting is that once you have rooted it you can use titanium backup to backup all your apps and data (the bards tale for me)

If you're content with losing everything then a factory reset may just be needed, you didn't reset it before you updated did you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If it's malware (and I don't know if it is) then there's a strong possibility that it's rooted to the device so a simple factory reset won't get rid of it. It might be worth a try though and when I had to reset my old HTC due to storage issues I was surprised at how much was restored from my google account. (contacts, passwords etc.)

ReputationRep:
    If you're content with losing everything then a factory reset may just be needed, you didn't reset it before you updated did you?
    No, I didn't. I've reset it and I didn't actually lose much, I used Samsung Kies to backup all my data, contacts; pictures; videos; preferences; etc. I've just installed a few apps and I'll see how it goes over the next few days; I'm going to keep a close watch on the "Android OS" usage. Hopefully the problem won't persist.

ReputationRep:
    No, I didn't. I've reset it and I didn't actually lose much, I used Samsung Kies to backup all my data, contacts; pictures; videos; preferences; etc. I've just installed a few apps and I'll see how it goes over the next few days; I'm going to keep a close watch on the "Android OS" usage. Hopefully the problem won't persist.
    Ah that's good to hear, let us know how it goes and again the battery issue could just need a few full charge cycles to get back to where it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by photographylover)

Dude, are you for real? I mean, that phone was pretty good back in its days but reading that someone is still using them makes you wonder what ever happened to Nokia. They were building true tanks..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nghynnut1)
    Dude, are you for real? I mean, that phone was pretty good back in its days but reading that someone is still using them makes you wonder what ever happened to Nokia. They were building true tanks..
    Yes. I am for real

I feel embarrassed using it sometimes, but it brings back so much nostalgia every time I hear it go off haha. Different to the same ringtones and message tones iPhones have which loads of people seem to have now.

Nokia tone is my ringtone... This one haha...

...and my text tone is the dood dood dood dood dood, dood dood doo, dood dood dood dood dood dood, dood dood doo... haha.

ReputationRep:
    That's just wicked man! Nostalgia is the right word for it. Ah, and the day when you would compose a text tone. Pure gold! Thumbs up here, as the system does not allow me to give you one more.

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's good to hear, let us know how it goes and again the battery issue could just need a few full charge cycles to get back to where it was.
    Well after the factory reset the battery life has improved, and the phone is no longer being kept from going into sleep mode. I left my phone on all night with the data connection turned off and it only used 3% battery, which I think is pretty darn good. However, the android OS usage is still high. Just this morning it has used 19MB.

I'm beginning to think that it might be youtube, could this be possible? Before I watched a 5 minute youtube video my Youtube app usage was at 0.88MB, and my Android OS at about 11MB. Afterwards I rechecked the data usage and the Youtube app had changed to only 0.89MB, whilst the Android OS had jumped to 29MB.

Could it be that youtube usage is being attributed to the Android OS, and not the App? Would a five minute video realistically use that much data?

With some light usage and a few videos my battery has 28% remaining and has been running for 1d 11H 13m. The actual battery usage of Android OS remains relatively minuscule at 4%.

EDIT - Another 4 minute video has increased Youtube from 0.89MB to 1.47MB and the Android OS has increased to 40.91. It has to be youtube. Is this normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHedges)
    +1^

I'd recommend running some sort of anti-virus software to see if it picks anything up
    Hi I've just joined here as I had the same issue and think it's now resolved! Downloaded Kaspersky internet security for android, it's free if you bank with Barclays -go through online banking - so not sure if other free security would work too but it's worth trying. Anyway I ran a full scan on my phone and it found a Trojan virus with android os in the title so I'm guess that is it, seems to have been in a download folder. Anyway since removing android os hasn't used any data, where before it was averaging 20mb/hr. Well worth following this suggestion. Not sure what good av you can get for free but try!
    Thanks to all on this forum for advice!

Hopefully attached screenshot of av perhaps you ccould try find these files
    Attached Images

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.