Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How often you speed and how much of a bad thing do you think it is to do so?

Just curious. Everyone seems to do it but rarely get caught I find. I have had my license for about 4 years and no points with only drive awareness course. Though I think I drove too fast past a speed camera last week which I am really worried about

ReputationRep:
    There is a time and a place for "spirited" driving every now and then I think, so long as you do it on a quiet road that you know well, and should things go wrong the only person at risk is yourself. Make sure conditions are good too!

For long drives on boring A roads and motorways I stick to the speed limit, no point in risking points and / or a fine.

I do put my foot down when overtaking though, so I guess I speed fairly often. It is very easy to reach 3 figures when overtaking a lorry, for example!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad8oy)
    Lol every time I get in a car tbh it's not too bad if you do it safely.
    Pretty sure you can do some speed awareness course if you get caught by camera first time so you get no points

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends how far over the limit you're going - I think usually it's only an option if it's less than ~20% over the speed limit.

How much of a "bad thing" you consider speeding to be is variable. For example, it's probably more dangerous to do 35 in a 30 zone down a busy residential street/past a school, than it is to do 80 on a motorway.

ReputationRep:
    Threads like these always end well :lol:

Motorway, more so at night when it's basically just me on there. But everyone speeds on the motorway so that's not a biggie.
    Apart from that I don't speed at all.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely won't be speeding for the first few years when I finally get a car, don't want to lose my license / get points straight away just to get somewhere 5 minutes quicker .... I have nothing against people who speed, but some people are maniacs and the amount of risks they take to only get a few cars ahead of you ...... just ain't worth it really.

ReputationRep:
    quite recently, as in the last two/three weeks ive been speeding a bit. nothing major, just 35 in 30's etc. i used to be dead on the limit but im nearing my two years (in feb) so im starting to be less of a *****. i wont overtake if i need to speed however or drive right up peoples asses, that just being a ****.

everyone else seems to speed loads!

ReputationRep:
    hmmm....35 in a 30 is quite slow lol. i wouldnt class that as "speeding". I guess its subjective though
    Well it IS speeding. 31 in a 30 is speeding if you want to be picky. But it depends on the road as to how much of a problem it is.

ReputationRep:
    Would you class exceeding the limit when overtaking as speeding?

ReputationRep:
    I went 70 past a copper coming the other way in a 60 - started slowing as I noticed him but didn't apply brakes, would've given myself away, so just cruised past and never made eye contact.

ReputationRep:
    Lol i personally would class 60+ as speeding....depending on traffic

Posted from TSR Mobile
    60 in a 30 is an automatic court summons, I think. And really bloody stupid.

I'm not going to preach that everyone should always stay below the speed limit all the time, as that's just not realistic. But some acknowledgement of why speed limits exist and why not grossly exceeding them is a good idea is not too much to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderton)
    I went 70 past a copper coming the other way in a 60 - started slowing as I noticed him but didn't apply brakes, would've given myself away, so just cruised past and never made eye contact.
    I seriously doubt he would have been able to tell you were going 70 while he was going 60 in the opposite direction. Its just your paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    I'm learning to drive and I sometimes do 35 in a 30 zone and 55-60 on a 50mph dual carriageway. I just like to keep up with traffic (although that's not always a good thing).

ReputationRep:
    There's a time and place to speed. I.e. you'd be a moron to speed when it's busy and unsafe. If it's safe, then to me it's fine. Everyone speeds... Guranteed though, I'll get negged and abuse from all the goodie-goodie's from TSR for saying this. :s

ReputationRep:
    Not this thread again...

ReputationRep:
    I make the same 3-4 mile journey every other day for work. No speed cameras on route, and is a A road, so if no traffic, I might go up to 50-60. Speed limit is 30 but it's one of those roads where it should be higher.

I slow down in the areas where there's shops, more people etc. Never had any problems. I return home in the early hours of around 5am so the roads are empty at that time. I drive with the main full beam on in the night when there's no other cars around for extra visibility just in case. Moment I spot another car I switch to normal.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the road and the conditions.

I'll admit I don't often stick to the speed limit when on a motorway unless it's raining or something. Provided there's good visibility and little congestion, I won't stick to 70.
    In fact, just earlier today I was chilling at ~85 on the M1 and was overtaken by a police car (no sirens or anything, just calmly going about its business). They didn't even glance at me.

On other roads, it depends..

- Country roads I know well I may creep over the speed limit slightly. But when I say "know well" I mean I could practically drive them blindfolded. On one route, I know on a particular corner to slow to about 20mph if it's been raining because just after the bend there's often surface water.
    On country roads I don't know I'll just do what feels safe.

- If it's a 30 limit with good reason - eg there's a school - I won't go over.

Most will exceed the limit at some point or another. Just make sure you don't get caught :B

ReputationRep:
    The other week I think I was doing about 36 in a 30 and there was a speed camera on that road :-( hope I slowed down for it I cant remembet :-(

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

ReputationRep:
    I do speed occasionally, but that's only because the speed limits where I live are just stupid, there's so many 20 mph zones its genuinely faster for me to cycle to uni.

But since I'm only riding my little CBF125 I tend to just "blast" through them at 30-35 and play a fun little game of dodging the speed bumps- or if I can't dodge them just stand on the pegs and bounce over them. Hehehee

ReputationRep:
    Only if I'm on the motorway and don't glance at my speedo for a bit I might go over the limit but even 70 is uncomfortable in my car so I see no point in risking points and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, anyone who has ever driven a vehicle on a public road for a reasonable time has commited the offence and is guilty of speeding. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

In reguard to doing 60 in a 30, yeah, I don't condone it at all but have you seen some 30 and 40 limits? You could be forgiven for thinking they were NSL's.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.