Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did it all the time in my home town because I know it very well and also know that the rozzers only tend to monitor the dual carriageways. So people can do whatever the hell they want on the other roads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad8oy)
    hmmm....35 in a 30 is quite slow lol. i wouldnt class that as "speeding". I guess its subjective though

It might be slow but it's fast enough to kill a kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quick question does the 10% leeway work on speed cameras? I.e 30mph zone you are allowed to do 33mph and not get flashed?

💷Certified 💷

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    There is a time and a place for "spirited" driving every now and then I think, so long as you do it on a quiet road that you know well, and should things go wrong the only person at risk is yourself. Make sure conditions are good too!

For long drives on boring A roads and motorways I stick to the speed limit, no point in risking points and / or a fine.

I do put my foot down when overtaking though, so I guess I speed fairly often. It is very easy to reach 3 figures when overtaking a lorry, for example!
    3 figures:0 Most I've ever done is 85 but that was only because I glanced at my speedo and was like oops!

I occasionally do 80 on the motorway when overtaking idiots who decide they only want to put their foot down when I start overtaking them. My car starts revving too much at 80 though I don't like it! I do stick to 30mph around built up areas though, I don't feel like I need to go any faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaa.xo)
    3 figures:0 Most I've ever done is 85 but that was only because I glanced at my speedo and was like oops!

I occasionally do 80 on the motorway when overtaking idiots who decide they only want to put their foot down when I start overtaking them. My car starts revving too much at 80 though I don't like it! I do stick to 30mph around built up areas though, I don't feel like I need to go any faster.
    When you have a relatively powerful car it is actually surprisingly easy to get to silly speeds very quickly. My car will hit 100 at the top of 3rd - so for overtaking I usually drop down to 3rd (or 2nd if I am going very slowly to begin with) and put my foot down. You can usually get up to 90 from 40 mph in the space it takes to overtake a truck.

My mentality has always been I want to be on the wrong side of the road for as little time as possible, and I only overtake like that in clear conditions and when there is good visibility.

If your engine is warm then there is nothing wrong with revving a car to the red line, but having driven my Mum's 1.2 Corsa fairly extensively I know what you mean about not wanting to push the car hard at higher speeds.

Speeding in a residential area is a complete no no for me - there is a time and a place and that is certainly not it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderton)
    I went 70 past a copper coming the other way in a 60 - started slowing as I noticed him but didn't apply brakes, would've given myself away, so just cruised past and never made eye contact.
    Was driving at night a few weeks back (in the dark) and did a full overtake on a police car that was going at the speed limit.

that was pretty heart-stopping as I only realised it was one once i was passing alongside it.

then I had half an hour of awkwardness because I was infront of it but obviously couldn't continue to make any more ground -.-

they did nothing though. i've been pulled over and breathalyzed without even speeding before (for having my beams on on a country road at 2 a.m in massive rain and fog)... grr

ReputationRep:
    What car do you drive???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I drive a BMW 328i (E46 model, not the new one) so reasonably quick if pressed

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a friend of mine who's 20 just recently got an e46 m3 pretty quick. My cousin has an e90 330d lol and that shifts. Good cars

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lovely cars! I will be replacing mine with an E46 M3 or an E39 M5 in a few years when I can afford it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.