Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Adenyl Cyclase vs Adenylyl Cyclase Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between Adenyl Cyclase and Adenylyl Cyclase? My OCR textbook refers to Adenylyl but my OCR revision guide (which I trust more) refers to Adenyl. This is in context to adrenaline and how it reacts to when reaching target tissue.

ReputationRep:
    Google it?

ReputationRep:
    Tried it but got nothing useful, I feel that they are the same but need confirmation? :confused:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    They're the same, although I've not read anywhere which calls the enzyme adenyl cyclase. Everywhere I've heard the name it's been adenylate cyclase so I would stick with that term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    They're the same, although I've not read anywhere which calls the enzyme adenyl cyclase. Everywhere I've heard the name it's been adenylate cyclase so I would stick with that term.
    Ok. Thanks thats exactly what I got when I googled it and I got more confused. However after some digging through past papers I found that some referred to Adenyl Cyclase. So I will most likely use that. Its such a pain when certain substances have several names! :mad:

Thanks for the help!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunTiger)
    Ok. Thanks thats exactly what I got when I googled it and I got more confused. However after some digging through past papers I found that some referred to Adenyl Cyclase. So I will most likely use that. Its such a pain when certain substances have several names! :mad:

Thanks for the help!
    I suppose it's different in each place, and you just use what you get taught, the same principle goes for neurone, neuron and nerve cell. One of my old lectures says "me-iosis" which I'm pretty sure is wrong, but I think I'm developing the habit now. If adenyl cyclase is in your past paper exams for your exam board then I would stick with that to be on the safe side. Best of luck with exams!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.