The Student Room Group

my boyfriend is angry i fainted

I have a bad heart condition which means that if I over exert myself like running standing up to quickly walking upstairs on standing up for too long I pass out. I dont know whatr this looks like whether its just me looking a bit dizzy or ill but my eyesight goes and so does my hearing and I come round usually on the floor.

Ive been with my boyfriend over a year but ive managed not to pass out in front of him at all. However Ive been stupid ive been trying to loose weight so have cut down my portion sizes signifcantly which now im not bothering to do and last night I passed out while sitting down. He got really angry at me because he said he was asking if i was ok and i didnt answer ( i didnt hear him) and that when he asked what was wrong when i came round i said im fine ( because half the time i dont even realise ive passed out)

He just seemed really angry and uncaring about it and im really worried its put him off me and maybe he will break up with me. My ex did he said it was to much to handle and didnt want a sick girlfriend but a healthy one, and im worried my now boyfriend will think the same. What shall I do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the real question here is why do so many girls have total douchebags for boyfriends?

he sounds horrible...
Reply 2
If he cant put up with your condition then he's simply not the right guy for you. Sorry.
He may have thought you were ignoring him, which I'd agree is something to get angry about.

Explain him what happens, and how he can get you 'back to life'. I'm sure he'll be more understanding then.
This sounds weird, like you haven't really explained the whole story.
Reply 5
He sounds really dumb.
Reply 6
Does he know you have the condition? If he does then he really is a bit of a muppet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I have a bad heart condition which means that if I over exert myself like running standing up to quickly walking upstairs on standing up for too long I pass out. I dont know whatr this looks like whether its just me looking a bit dizzy or ill but my eyesight goes and so does my hearing and I come round usually on the floor.

Ive been with my boyfriend over a year but ive managed not to pass out in front of him at all. However Ive been stupid ive been trying to loose weight so have cut down my portion sizes signifcantly which now im not bothering to do and last night I passed out while sitting down. He got really angry at me because he said he was asking if i was ok and i didnt answer ( i didnt hear him) and that when he asked what was wrong when i came round i said im fine ( because half the time i dont even realise ive passed out)

He just seemed really angry and uncaring about it and im really worried its put him off me and maybe he will break up with me. My ex did he said it was to much to handle and didnt want a sick girlfriend but a healthy one, and im worried my now boyfriend will think the same. What shall I do :frown:

Maybe he was angry because you did not trust him enough to tell him this?

Hopefully so for your sake, because right now he sounds like a dick.
It sounds like he was frightened.

When we were children my little brother got clipped by a car. It was something or nothing, as it turned out. But I called my mum from the shops and she came running up the street more panicked than I'd ever seen her before or have seen her since. And as soon as it was established that he was okay she was properly furious at my brother, and for reasons it took me some long while to understand.
If I was your boyfriend I wouldn't of got angry. I would've made sure you're ok when you came round and got you a cup of tea and would've made you feel comfortable and ok and everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What shall I do :frown:

The main question here is did you tell him about your condition?

If yes then he's a douchebag, if no then he has a right to be surprised but not necessarily angry.
Original post by RainbowWithAnI
The main question here is did you tell him about your condition?

If yes then he's a douchebag, if no then he has a right to be surprised but not necessarily angry.

This.

OP did you tell him, it's nothing to be embarassed about. But if you tell him then he'll know what to do if you do faint.
Reply 12
Original post by cambio wechsel
It sounds like he was frightened.

I completely agree - cut the guy a bit of slack (he may never had to have dealt with a situation like that before & to a lot of people it can be quite distressing)

My advice - talk to him!

Ask him to see if he's alright & what upset him so much that he acted angry

If he behaves like your ex....your better off without him tbh
Reply 13
Original post by snow101
I completely agree - cut the guy a bit of slack (he may never had to have dealt with a situation like that before & to a lot of people it can be quite distressing)

My advice - talk to him!

Ask him to see if he's alright & what upset him so much that he acted angry

If he behaves like your ex....your better off without him tbh

Sounds like the best thing to do :smile:
Reply 14
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment - your boyfriend has never seen this happen to you before (and you haven't specified whether or not you told him about your condition). My experience is that when people are faced with an unexpected situation happening to a loved one, they tend to get scared - and sometimes angry, too - because they're panicking. Actually, it's often scarier for other people than it is for the unconscious person (who, after all, is probably pretty out of it at the time). I'm not using that as an excuse for your boyfriend if he was genuinely being uncaring and horrible; I'm just wondering whether there's a gap between what you think he's thinking ("I don't want an ill girlfriend") and what he might actually be thinking ("Oh my God! What am I supposed to do! I'm powerless to help! I'm so useless!").

My advice for people who have any sort of health condition like yours is always the same - you don't have to tell people about it; but if you don't, then you can't reasonably expect them to react in the way you want, should you experience whatever it is in front of them. If you make it normal - which it is, for you; it's just part of your life - then it becomes normal for them, as well.

I'd suggest talking to him about it, in a really open way. Don't ask "why did you act like that?", just ask "how did you feel while it was happening?", and just see what he says. He may have all sorts of misconceptions about what was happening; in which case you can reassure him and give him the facts.

(Edited to add - of course, if he's still being a muppet after that, ditch him.)
Original post by Tabzqt
the real question here is why do so many girls have total douchebags for boyfriends?

he sounds horrible...

not nessecarily -

OP said this is the first time shes passed out in front of her fella, its a big difference knowing about and having it happen.

Chances are the OP fainting like that scared the **** out of him,

Original post by MancBoy
If he cant put up with your condition then he's simply not the right guy for you. Sorry.

True but not a failing on his part, no one is indebted to anyone and he doesnt have to look after her. She has a condition and not everyone is going to be able or willing to deal with it.

OP you need to talk to him to find out why he got angry and he needs to know that this is something that can happen
Reply 16
It all sounds very unpleasant for you, I'm sorry to hear. I think you maybe need to sit him down and explain your medical situation to him and how you felt when he went mad at you for no reason as you could not hear him. If he can't see that it was wrong of him to react to you that way, then you deserve someone more caring. But perhaps, although his reaction was not good, he may have reacted that way out of panic and worry. Try and talk it through in a calm controlled way and see what happens. Try not to over think it. Honesty is always the best policy, in my opinion.
Best wishes.

a) He's a dick
b) You're stupid for trying to lose weight by cutting down on food rather than doing this thing called exercise :facepalm2: You should know that such a thing will aggravate your condition.
Reply 18
What shall I do :frown:

Have some self-respect and get rid of him.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jimbo1234
a) He's a dick
b) You're stupid for trying to lose weight by cutting down on food rather than doing this thing called exercise :facepalm2: You should know that such a thing will aggravate your condition.

Did you not read the OP properly? I doubt (effective) exercise is an option for her, only slow stuff like yoga, Pilates, possibly very gentle swimming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending