Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anyone losing weight before uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not hugely obese, but I am overweight and was always the fatty at school. Being short makes it worse, if i was 6ft and weighed the same I would probably look just right, but being 5ft2 that mass is over a smaller area, so makes me look fatter

I don't want to be the same at uni. I don't want to be really skinny, but I just want to be a normal, healthy weight before uni. I've got just over 9 months before uni starts and I want to lose between 1.5 and 2 stones. (Hopefully from my legs/waist/chins, unfortunately losing wright doesn't work that way so my boobs will probably go a bit )

I walk about 15 miles a week and am a bit muscular already, although most of it's hiding under some fat, so I'm after fat burning exercises to do rather than muscle building.

Is anyone else trying to lose a few pounds before uni?

And what's your goal?

I'm 11 stone 7 and I want to lose 1.5 stones minimum, but no more than 2.

ReputationRep:
    11 stone 7 at 5'2 is not good. Aim to lose at least 2 stone. Especially because it is easy to put on weight at uni.

ReputationRep:
    If my calculations are correct, I think it's less than 9 months. 37 weeks roughly. Not that I'm counting lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure if you get into some good habits and stick with them you'll manage - it's plenty time if you're really determined and go about it sensibly.

Like the other poster said, you'll just have to take care when you go to uni that you keep up the good work! I know a lot of people who put on weight once they went, mainly because they had no idea how to cook healthy meals, drank a lot more than before and sat about most of the time. If you start now and make healthy living part of your routine hopefully you'll keep it up. Uni gyms are usually really cheap too so it's definitely worth looking into

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck

(Original post by Kerny)
    11 stone 7 at 5'2 is not good. Aim to lose at least 2 stone. Especially because it is easy to put on weight at uni.
    It depends how muscular OP is though. Their bmi is going to be high, but theis hip to waist ratio might not be that bad. They didot mention what exercise they do. They said they arent hugely obese, that might mean that they have some muscle and some fat, or just that they're glad they're not something like 15st plus which would be huge on someone their height.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)

(Original post by anony.mouse)
    Good luck

It depends how muscular OP is though. Their bmi is going to be high, but theis hip to waist ratio might not be that bad. They didot mention what exercise they do. They said they arent hugely obese, that might mean that they have some muscle and some fat, or just that they're glad they're not something like 15st plus which would be huge on someone their height.
    Yeah I should have mentioned exercise. I walk the 2m each way to sixth form most days. On the days I don't it's either because it's raining so I get the bus or I walk with my boyfriend back to his which is still about 3/4 of a mile.

anony, it's a bit of both, I am a bit muscular which adds a bit of weight, but it's also not like I am 15 or 20 stone.

(Original post by Blue95)
    If my calculations are correct, I think it's less than 9 months. 37 weeks roughly. Not that I'm counting lol.
    Well uni generally starts mid-late September, which is just over 9 months away . Say I want to lose 25 pounds, thats only about a couple of pounds a week.

ReputationRep:
    just eat bigger breakfasts as soon as you wake up so you won't want to eat at night. This technique works for almost everyone I know thats tried but you gotta eat a big breakfast everyday. Also if exercise is in your regime then I recommend long and tiring cardio stuff, like your walking. You just have to do a form of exercise that you can keep doing for at least an hour at a time, which rules out muscular work outs like sit ups, push ups, weights, ect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    Yeah I should have mentioned exercise. I walk the 2m each way to sixth form most days. On the days I don't it's either because it's raining so I get the bus or I walk with my boyfriend back to his which is still about 3/4 of a mile.

anony, it's a bit of both, I am a bit muscular which adds a bit of weight, but it's also not like I am 15 or 20 stone.
    Well of course you're not gonna be 15+ stone at 5'2. That is the kind of weight you would expect a man who is well over 6ft tall to be. It would clearly put you in obese territory.

Anyway, keep up the walking even if the weather is a bit dim, unless it is really chucking it down. Try starting some light cardio, and eating a bit less.

ReputationRep:
    I do always eat breakfast, but all my meals are quite small. I try and eat healthily but it's hard with my dads cooking. I cook when I can, but when we go shopping my dad won't let me get anything just for me. If it's something different/healthy it has to be something my mum will eat aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    Well of course you're not gonna be 15+ stone at 5'2. That is the kind of weight you would expect a man who is well over 6ft tall to be. It would clearly put you in obese territory.

Anyway, keep up the walking even if the weather is a bit dim, unless it is really chucking it down. Try starting some light cardio, and eating a bit less.
    My mum was over 14stone before she went on a diet. And she's less than an inch taller than me. I don't want to end up like she was and end up being the fatty at uni like I was at school.

And according to a BMI chart, a man who is about 6ft tall could be 15 stone and still a healthy weight (just), they wouldn't need to be well over 6ft as you say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollo)
    I'm sure if you get into some good habits and stick with them you'll manage - it's plenty time if you're really determined and go about it sensibly.

Like the other poster said, you'll just have to take care when you go to uni that you keep up the good work! I know a lot of people who put on weight once they went, mainly because they had no idea how to cook healthy meals,Thanks drank a lot more than before and sat about most of the time. If you start now and make healthy living part of your routine hopefully you'll keep it up. Uni gyms are usually really cheap too so it's definitely worth looking into

Good luck!
    Thanks

I do know how to cook healthily, it's just hard when my dad cooks really unhealthily. Something I'm trying to address on another thread in food and drink. I won't be able to afford to drink much alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

I do know how to cook healthily, it's just hard when my dad cooks really unhealthily. Something I'm trying to address on another thread in food and drink. I won't be able to afford to drink much alcohol.
    you might well find you lose a bit of weight at uni, those that put it on tend to drink alcohol like its going out of fashion, or can't cook, so live off takeaways and ready meals.

ReputationRep:
    Not really fat or stick thin, but I'm hoping to build up a bit of a 6 pack and bit of arms

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 5ft 7 and last year I weighed 13 stone, I lost 2 stone between Feb and July It's easily done! It doesnt have to be a big deal, I hope to lose another 3 stone after exams before August!

Good luck, just stay motivated and don't make it a big deal, just change a couple things

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not hugely obese, but I am overweight and was always the fatty at school. Being short makes it worse, if i was 6ft and weighed the same I would probably look just right, but being 5ft2 that mass is over a smaller area, so makes me look fatter

I don't want to be the same at uni. I don't want to be really skinny, but I just want to be a normal, healthy weight before uni. I've got just over 9 months before uni starts and I want to lose between 1.5 and 2 stones. (Hopefully from my legs/waist/chins, unfortunately losing wright doesn't work that way so my boobs will probably go a bit )

I walk about 15 miles a week and am a bit muscular already, although most of it's hiding under some fat, so I'm after fat burning exercises to do rather than muscle building.

Is anyone else trying to lose a few pounds before uni?

And what's your goal?

I'm 11 stone 7 and I want to lose 1.5 stones minimum, but no more than 2.
    Me too! Everyone says you put on weight while you're at university, so I want to start from an okay-ish point, and my fitness is terrible at the moment so that has to change. I've downloaded the "myfitnesspal" app to make calorie counting easier, and my first weigh-in is tomorrow so a bit nervous.
    How are you going about it?
    I'm 5'9 at the moment, and 142 lbs (most of which sits on my thighs and stomach). My aim is to lose a pound a week until I can fit back into size 8 clothes, which means net-calories of 1360 a day according to the app.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcdaniel)
    Me too! Everyone says you put on weight while you're at university, so I want to start from an okay-ish point, and my fitness is terrible at the moment so that has to change. I've downloaded the "myfitnesspal" app to make calorie counting easier, and my first weigh-in is tomorrow so a bit nervous.
    How are you going about it?
    I'm 5'9 at the moment, and 142 lbs (most of which sits on my thighs and stomach). My aim is to lose a pound a week until I can fit back into size 8 clothes, which means net-calories of 1360 a day according to the app.
    Hey, what weight were you when you fit into size 8? I'm 5'9, 152lbs and wondering how much to lose t get into size 8s thanks

ReputationRep:
    I was 11 and a half stone at 6'0 and got down to 9 and a half in 2 months. Was probably a bit extreme as i was dropping around 3lbs a week and eating around 1300 calories per day alongside cardio exercise. So 2 stones in 9 months is easily doable, keeping it off is another matter.

edit: dunno why i quoted someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by After7)
    I was 11 and a half stone at 6'0 and got down to 9 and a half in 2 months. Was probably a bit extreme as i was dropping around 3lbs a week and eating around 1300 calories per day alongside cardio exercise. So 2 stones in 9 months is easily doable, keeping it off is another matter.

edit: dunno why i quoted someone
    Wow that's fast...were you size 8 at 9 and a half stone then? I'm thinking I'd need to be 9/9 and a half to fit in size 8 at 5'9?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Wow that's fast...were you size 8 at 9 and a half stone then? I'm thinking I'd need to be 9/9 and a half to fit in size 8 at 5'9?
    sorry I accidently quoted you, I'm a guy I don't know about womens sizes but you should go by the mirror instead of what clothes fit you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.