The Student Room Group

Cheaper season tickets for college? Can't use 16-25 rail card!

I travel to college by train every day and have done for the past year and a half, but it's just too expensive!
Before you ask, the only reason I travel by train is because the college I go to is the top-ranked sixth-form in the country - Cardinal Newman College. I figured, it's not that far so why not go there?

To go to college from Monday 7th January 2013 to Friday 15 January (last day of half-term), it's £230. I've been paying pretty much that amount for all my half term/term tickets and now that I've got my final exams coming up, I can't deal with more train cancellations and delays and being tired everyday.

I've been searching everywhere online and I can't find any alternative. The bus isn't an option because it takes 1hr 40mins.
I can't use the 16-25 railcard either because I catch the train at 8 - that's off-peak time and it doesn't apply to the conditions of the card. There are no other discount railcards which apply in MY area i.e. the North West.

Anything I can do? I only have about 6 months of college left, but that's another 3-4 terms. About £1,000 just to travel to college for 6 months.
I travel from Bolton to Preston. Driving isn't an option because a) I can't drive yet and won't get my licence for a while and b) my parents have my brothers to take to school and can't drive me there and back.

Please help. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
You can actually use your YP railcard if the daily fare (with YP discount) total comes to a minimum of £12.
Reply 2
You can use your railcard before 10am; but a minimum fare of £12 applies. http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/using-your-card/faqs/8/
Original post by OU Student
You can use your railcard before 10am; but a minimum fare of £12 applies. http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/using-your-card/faqs/8/

What exactly does that mean?
A return to Preston works out to be about £10 anyway.
Original post by Jennifer07
You can actually use your YP railcard if the daily fare (with YP discount) total comes to a minimum of £12.

It's about £10 minimum for a return.
Original post by Mochassassin
I travel to college by train every day and have done for the past year and a half, but it's just too expensive!
Before you ask, the only reason I travel by train is because the college I go to is the top-ranked sixth-form in the country - Cardinal Newman College. I figured, it's not that far so why not go there?

To go to college from Monday 7th January 2013 to Friday 15 January (last day of half-term), it's £230. I've been paying pretty much that amount for all my half term/term tickets and now that I've got my final exams coming up, I can't deal with more train cancellations and delays and being tired everyday.

I've been searching everywhere online and I can't find any alternative. The bus isn't an option because it takes 1hr 40mins.
I can't use the 16-25 railcard either because I catch the train at 8 - that's off-peak time and it doesn't apply to the conditions of the card. There are no other discount railcards which apply in MY area i.e. the North West.

Anything I can do? I only have about 6 months of college left, but that's another 3-4 terms. About £1,000 just to travel to college for 6 months.
I travel from Bolton to Preston. Driving isn't an option because a) I can't drive yet and won't get my licence for a while and b) my parents have my brothers to take to school and can't drive me there and back.

What's the cost of a train single in the morning plus a bus single in the afternoon? It might be worth costing that out for a couple of days a week?
Original post by RibenaRockstar
What's the cost of a train single in the morning plus a bus single in the afternoon? It might be worth costing that out for a couple of days a week?

A single in the morning is £9.00 - I don't think I could handle travelling for that long though on the bus after college. I have revision until 5pm - by the time I come home, it'll be 7 in the evening. :O
Reply 7
If you're under 18 you can get a card that entitles you to half price travel (bus and rail) on journeys to and from college regardless of the hour. I unfortunately arn't ellibile for this so have to pay full fair for getting to 9am lectures :frown:.
Bolton has some other train stations within the towns limits such as Hall-ith-Wood, Bromley Cross, Lostock and Moses Gate. Is Bolton your closest one? This may help improve your price, particularly if you live closer to the Reebok stadium.
If it makes you feel any better, my friends who got the school bus to school had to pay for it in sixth form, and for some of them it reached nearly a £1000 - and that was going to their local council allocated secondary school
Original post by Zenzic
If you're under 18 you can get a card that entitles you to half price travel (bus and rail) on journeys to and from college regardless of the hour. I unfortunately arn't ellibile for this so have to pay full fair for getting to 9am lectures :frown:.

I saw that online. It's called a Scholar's Card or something, but I couldn't find it anywhere where I live and I think it's for West Yorkshire.
My dad said not to worry about it since there's only a few months to go... :frown:
Original post by WarriorInAWig
Bolton has some other train stations within the towns limits such as Hall-ith-Wood, Bromley Cross, Lostock and Moses Gate. Is Bolton your closest one? This may help improve your price, particularly if you live closer to the Reebok stadium.

Actually, the first term ticket I bought was from 'Bromley Cross - Preston' - the guy who made me the ticket was nice enough to make it from Bromley Cross even from the Bolton station, but unfortunately no other person did that for me and it only saves me £20.

Lostock - trains are very limited there and the ones which go to Bolton are the ones that take 37+ mins. Those trains stop at every stop as opposed to Transpennine Express ones I usually get which only stop at Chorley in between Bolton and Preston, thus taking 23 minutes (the quickest route).

Thanks though. :smile:
Original post by RibenaRockstar
If it makes you feel any better, my friends who got the school bus to school had to pay for it in sixth form, and for some of them it reached nearly a £1000 - and that was going to their local council allocated secondary school

Lol, not exactly helping but I appreciate the response. :smile:
Reply 13
Can't you ask the school for any financial help? I'm sure they have some kind of scheme if pupils genuiely can't afford it that they would help
Reply 14
I saw that online. It's called a Scholar's Card or something, but I couldn't find it anywhere where I live and I think it's for West Yorkshire.
My dad said not to worry about it since there's only a few months to go... :frown:

The one I saw was for Greater Manchester, so if you saw them for West Yorkshire, they must be national wrt the region. Ask your college about it, but yeah I think I read it was called Scholar's Card. It's worth doing, could even pocket the difference if your parents pay :wink: haha
Original post by Zenzic
The one I saw was for Greater Manchester, so if you saw them for West Yorkshire, they must be national wrt the region. Ask your college about it, but yeah I think I read it was called Scholar's Card. It's worth doing, could even pocket the difference if your parents pay :wink: haha

I think there are certain requirements though - because my college is 'outside' Greater Manchester and stuff.
It couldn't hurt to ask though - thank you! If it actually works, I'm going to mentally slap myself for not asking earlier. xD
Original post by Boo_x
Can't you ask the school for any financial help? I'm sure they have some kind of scheme if pupils genuiely can't afford it that they would help

I don't meet the requirements for a bursary, and the only pass they could get me the last time I asked was for a bus, which yet again takes much too long.

I'll try asking one more time. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 17
I think there are certain requirements though - because my college is 'outside' Greater Manchester and stuff.
It couldn't hurt to ask though - thank you! If it actually works, I'm going to mentally slap myself for not asking earlier. xD

You might not be eligible as you're travelling between two different districts.
But hopefully you can. Be a nice little saver.

People in full time education should get half price rail fair at all times when travelling to and from college/uni. It's not as if they're earning to be able to afford these extortionate prices the rail firms charge.

It's impossible to make peak time travel cheaper unfortunately. The season ticket is actually not that bad value (I paid roughly that for a season ticket for a much shorter route in southern Greater Manchester 7 years ago) - I reckon if you have a season ticket for this half term at £229.50 that if you made one return trip every school day you're paying £7.65 per day of travel (versus £11.20 to buy the ticket on the day - so being permitted to use your railcard would only make a marginal saving of a few pence). I reckon that Bolton to Preston (centre to centre) is roughly a 45 mile round trip - so you're looking at a per mile cost of 17p. That hits a car out of the park and the train beats the bus hands down in terms of time. It's still not cheap, but it could be far worse.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
It's impossible to make peak time travel cheaper unfortunately. The season ticket is actually not that bad value (I paid roughly that for a season ticket for a much shorter route in southern Greater Manchester 7 years ago) - I reckon if you have a season ticket for this half term at £229.50 that if you made one return trip every school day you're paying £7.65 per day of travel (versus £11.20 to buy the ticket on the day - so being permitted to use your railcard would only make a marginal saving of a few pence). I reckon that Bolton to Preston (centre to centre) is roughly a 45 mile round trip - so you're looking at a per mile cost of 17p. That hits a car out of the park and the train beats the bus hands down in terms of time. It's still not cheap, but it could be far worse.

Yeah, I've worked it out in the past. It just seems a lot for my parents. And it gets tiring for me too. Especially when I have revision classes, and it's way past 6 by the time I come home. Train delays make it riskier on exam days too.

Thanks though. Like my dad said, I shouldn't complain - only a couple more months to go! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest