Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questions on those diagnosed with dyspraxia Watch

ReputationRep:
    Wanted to have chat with anyone else with dyspraxia. I got diagnosed at 17 (i'm 18 now) and still havent met anyone else dyspraxic or that i can talk to about it.

I have loads of questions like is it normal for me to be upset or angry when people accuse it of being a fake learning disabilites or that everyone has the symptoms associated with it.

Secondly do you find yourself really really forgetful? Like constantly losing mobiles and keys?

Would just genuinely like to hear everyone's experiences

ReputationRep:
    I was diagnosed with mild dyslexia and dyspraxia last year just before I turned 18. I didn't every suspect I had anything particularly but teachers were concerned with my writing speed etc so got tested and diagnosed. My slow writing seemed to really only become an issue in 6th form when work become a little more taxing. I must say the extra-time I received seriously helped; previously I seriously struggled to finish almost any exam paper.

As far as getting upset with people accusing you of 'faking' a learning disability, they are idiots, just brush them off. Despite what many claim, there is no way to fake a dyslexia/dyspraxia test. Don't particularly find myself forgetful or losing things :cool:

Hope some of this helped a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemistrygeek01)
    Wanted to have chat with anyone else with dyspraxia. I got diagnosed at 17 (i'm 18 now) and still havent met anyone else dyspraxic or that i can talk to about it.

I have loads of questions like is it normal for me to be upset or angry when people accuse it of being a fake learning disabilites or that everyone has the symptoms associated with it.
    Hey, there's loads of us dyspraxics out there I see what you mean about getting angry, and I also understand your annoyance about the mickey-taking, being called 'fake' and the assumptions. However, I think they also exist for other conditions (Dyspraxia is probably, in comparison, less evident); Autism and ADHD being two I can think of.

Secondly do you find yourself really really forgetful? Like constantly losing mobiles and keys?
    Yes definetely. I always leave more time than I need to to prepare for stuff, so I am always aware these 'emergencies' are unfortunately a regular occurence.

Would just genuinely like to hear everyone's experiences
    I got diagnosed fairly earlyish. When I was about 5, my teacher had picked up on my slow motion skills and difficulties with things that my peers found easy such as using a pair of scissors. I got evaluated at the hospital and I was diagnosed. I even have my own special cutlery for food. I've always been rubbish at sport, BUT I took up 10 pin bowling at the age of 8 and stayed in the child's league until I was 18 and joined the adult's league from 14 until 18, and although I sometimes struggled behind my friends, I had a great support network who were there for me no matter what, and always cheered me up. In fact I persevered so well that I came 1st in the Under 15s singles for my county in 2007, I played for the under 18s county games in 2009 and that same year I came 3rd in the South of England junior doubles handicap for the under 16s. Dyspraxics might take longer to do things, but we are just as good as the rest of them. Yes, we have off days, but dyspraxics aren't the only people who suffer from those

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.