Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spending against 'available' balance. Watch

ReputationRep:
    My student loan money is showing up on my bank account so I've just made a couple of online payments which are due next week before realising that on my bank account the student loan is dated with tomorrows date. Will this be a problem? I am now a bit worried that the payment will show as coming out before the student loan officially goes in and I'll be charged for going overdrawn or something.

Also, I was going to do some food shopping later, is it better to wait until after everything has properly gone in and out of the bank? I have budgeted for it so won't go overdrawn as long as the student loan does go properly in before anything else comes out.

ReputationRep:
    No, the payments if they're made by card won't come off your main balance for 3 working days just off you available balance. Always work off your available balance.

Just make a quick list to make sure there are no more direct debits that may come out and if its ok just buy the essentials until available is the same as actual! Also for regular payments don't give your card details as the payments dates can be whenever they like, always dd or so instead.

Always try to avoid spending money before its in your hand

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey81)
    No, the payments if they're made by card won't come off your main balance for 3 working days just off you available balance. Always work off your available balance.

Just make a quick list to make sure there are no more direct debits that may come out and if its ok just buy the essentials until available is the same as actual! Also for regular payments don't give your card details as the payments dates can be whenever they like, always dd or so instead.

Always try to avoid spending money before its in your hand

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank-you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.