Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help needed in proving E cross H points in the same direction as K. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Having a bit of bother with this question. The first part asks you to find show the Eo is perpendicular to Ho, which I got no bother (Using a plane-wave ansatz) and ended up with Ho = K x Eo/(u*e) [u/e=permeability/permittivity]

The next part asks you to show that Eo x Ho points in the direction of K.
    The second part i've always just assumed, and the notes literally just say (Please note also the KxE points in the direction of K). I know K points in the direction of propagation of the wave, and I also know that all three are perpendicular to each other.

Any help would be greatlyName:  hhhhh.png
Views: 107
Size:  49.1 KB appreciated, exam is tomorrow!

Question attached, cii.

ReputationRep:
    So, I guess you should do something like this:

Because it is in the absence of matter, i.e. vacuum, you have \nabla \cdot E = 0 and \nabla \cdot H =0

As you have showed that E\cdot H=0, i.e. they are perpendicular, \nabla \cdot E = 0 and \nabla \cdot H=0 gives  k\cdot E=0 and k\cdot H=0, which means the wave vector is perpendicular to the electric field and magnetic field. Thus, E\times H hence E_0 \times H_0 is in the same direction as k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agostino981)
    So, I guess you should do something like this:

Because it is in the absence of matter, i.e. vacuum, you have \nabla \cdot E = 0 and \nabla \cdot H =0

As you have showed that E\cdot H=0, i.e. they are perpendicular, \nabla \cdot E = 0 and \nabla \cdot H=0 gives  k\cdot E=0 and k\cdot H=0, which means the wave vector is perpendicular to the electric field and magnetic field. Thus, E\times H hence E_0 \times H_0 is in the same direction as k
    Ahhhh I see what you mean. Good idea, i'm sure that's what they are looking for.

Doing it mathematically I ended up with K.E = divE = 0, and obviously also K.H = divH = 0. Thus K is orthogonal to both E and H.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.