Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand why ipso substitution occurs at the t-butyl group ?

The markscheme says all other positions are blocked and hence ipso sub. must occur.

Is this really true ? Is this position para to the t-butyl group really that sterically hindered by the methyl group such that it cant be accessed by the NO2+ ion ?

Name:  Untitled 8.png
Views: 218
Size:  24.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
    I dont understand why ipso substitution occurs at the t-butyl group ?

The markscheme says all other positions are blocked and hence ipso sub. must occur.

Is this really true ? Is this position para to the t-butyl group really that sterically hindered by the methyl group such that it cant be accessed by the NO2+ ion ?

Name:  Untitled 8.png
Views: 218
Size:  24.4 KB
    Yes it is! Also, the [CMe3]+ leaving group is far better than Me+ or H+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMaydom)
    Yes it is! Also, the [CMe3]+ leaving group is far better than Me+ or H+
    Hmmm, that bit about the [CMe3]+ being a better leaving group does make sense... Actually, I can sort of see that the Me groups provide steric hindrance.

Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
    Hmmm, that bit about the [CMe3]+ being a better leaving group does make sense... Actually, I can sort of see that the Me groups provide steric hindrance.

Thanks !
    Given it some extra thought.... Also the t-butyl group give extra stabilisation to the transition state

ReputationRep:
    Also, there is steric hinderance of the t-Bu group being forced to be in the plane of the ring as it is bonded to an sp2 carbon. In the first stage of attack this becomes sp3 and hence the t-Bu group is out of the plane, reducing steric hinderance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Also, there is steric hinderance of the t-Bu group being forced to be in the plane of the ring as it is bonded to an sp2 carbon. In the first stage of attack this becomes sp3 and hence the t-Bu group is out of the plane, reducing steric hinderance.

(Original post by JMaydom)
    Given it some extra thought.... Also the t-butyl group give extra stabilisation to the transition state
    Please have a look at the last post. Thanks !

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2213607

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.