Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who has tried the Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo and opinions? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As the thread title suggests, what have your experiences been with this shampoo?

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a senseless waste of caffeine... unless you drink the shampoo ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    sounds like a senseless waste of caffeine... unless you drink the shampoo ?
    Yeah I know it doesn't sound like the most appealing but there's really positive reviews of it around and some people really swear by it but they're all on sites where you can buy it. Just want some opinions outside of all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    As the thread title suggests, what have your experiences been with this shampoo?
    What effect is the caffeine supposed to have - do they claim it wakes your hair up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara55)
    What effect is the caffeine supposed to have - do they claim it wakes your hair up?
    Ah I should have mentioned this in the first post. Product info:

"Caffeine promotes hair growth. It has even been proven to slow down hereditary hair loss. Now you can transport this unique active ingredient to the hair roots during daily hair washing."

Loads of people seem to claim that it helps slow down balding and even help regrow hair in receding places.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I should have mentioned this in the first post. Product info:

"Caffeine promotes hair growth. It has even been proven to slow down hereditary hair loss. Now you can transport this unique active ingredient to the hair roots during daily hair washing."

Loads of people seem to claim that it helps slow down balding and even help regrow hair in receding places.
    I hadn't heard about that, but it sounds like fake science. There are loads of articles on the web about it, this one says that the claims are based on experiements that used caffeine with testosterone applied orally. The scientists used the caffeine to help transmit the testosterone and it's the latter that promotes growth. The shampoo manufacturers have latched on to the caffeine part because they can easily get that past regulators and it sounds convincing.

http://supplement-geek.com/caffeine-...er-fuller-hai/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know it doesn't sound like the most appealing but there's really positive reviews of it around and some people really swear by it but they're all on sites where you can buy it. Just want some opinions outside of all that.
    If you want to buy it. Then boots/superdrug sell it.

This was posted from my pigeon carrier app on my GT-I9100

ReputationRep:
    I work at Boots and from what a lot of customers tell me it's quite hit-and-miss. Some people find it helps them and some say it's just a scam. The product is intended for long term use to see results (6 months plus) but even then the product is more about strengthening what is already there than helping to regrow what is missing. I generally find that people with thick hair don't tend to like it as much as those with thin hair.
    Bear in mind that the hair grows in cycles, and the long-term use directions may just be to coincide with the natural fluctuation in hair density. That's just my opinion though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that shampoo contains no conditioning agents whatsoever, so you would need to have an exceptionally good conditioner to use with this one.

ReputationRep:
    I think its good although i dont use it everyday like it advices to but as soon as you wash your hair out from the shampoo, your roots feel more firm and stronger, i think it works quite well though!

ReputationRep:
    Caffeine increases blood flow, which in return increases nutrients available to hair follicles for new growth. But I'm sure there wouldn't a noticeable difference...you would probably get the same results from massaging your scalp as often as you can, cheaper too! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty sure this product had a different name a year ago, and now there is a very similar product for women, which is being marketed with a different name but has the same woman doing the voice over in the advert! they make it sound in the advert like they are running out of stock as apparently its moving fast, this kind of pushy advertising just makes the product even more suspect than the dodgy packaging and name changing!

ReputationRep:
    I started using it about 3 weeks ago. I started using it with Minoxidil aswell because my hair is thinning. To maximise results, you have to use these two products. In around two weeks, you should stop shedding hair. It takes around 3-6 months to see obvious results.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.