Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to cook healthy with standard/unhealthy foods Watch

ReputationRep:
    I do try and make healthy meals for myself. However for various reasons, it's just not possible for me to cook all of my meals whilst at home, so my dad cooks many of my main evening meals and in rather unhealthy ways. Although I do try and change mine a bit to make it healthier. For example, they might have chicken, chips gravy and a few peas. I'll have the chicken but with oven chips and salad. But doing this gets rather boring to.

I make all of my breakfasts and lunches. And luckily when I go round my boyfriends I tend to have healthy meals to. I even sometimes cook for them.

Plus when we go shopping, we're on a tight budget so I'm not really allowed to buy stuff just for me apart from cereal and fruit (which mum and dad occaissionaly eat to). I can buy rice and pasta, it's mainly me that eats it but it's cheap and when I cook for me and mum on Saturdays I use it then.

So in a nutshell, I have to make healthy meals out of the mainly basic or unhealthy things my dad buys as he refuses to use anything low fat/low sugar etc etc in his cooking. Also, he doesn't eat/cook rice or pasta. Only potatoes for carbs which are ussually cooked in fat or smothered in butter.

Any ideas? I'm trying to lose 1.5-2 stone in the next 8-9 months. I do already exercise, but I need to find ways to eat healthier to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really an expert on food and cooking but I can tell you that if you want to lose weight, EXERCISE.

Dieting alone is nowhere near as effective, if effective at all, when trying to lose weight. Go running or cycling fairly regularly depending on what you're used to / what you can manage, or even better, find a sport you enjoy and pursue that.

Low-intensity exercises like jogging and cycling are ideal for weight loss because they help burn fat - but anything you can do in this regard will help you towards your goal.

ReputationRep:
    I walk over 10 miles a week and go swimming most weeks. I know exercise is an important part, but I've got that covered. I'm asking advice on how to eat healthier when my dad makes it hard.

And even if I did lose weight jsut through exercising, it doesn't mean I'll be a healthier person, my insides will still be suffering from the rubbish I eat. Anorexic people are skinny, but they're not healthy, their skin is often aweful and their organs aren't in the best shape due to lack of nutrition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    I walk over 10 miles a week and go swimming most weeks. I know exercise is an important part, but I've got that covered. I'm asking advice on how to eat healthier when my dad makes it hard.
    cut out sugar and white bread,

sweetners isnt expensive switch to that.

Oh and btw be careful how you approach this - if you constantly go "i cant eat that its too unhealthy" or "i cant eat that its cooked wrong" your going to come across as a whiny ungrateful ***** which will just piss off your parents

ReputationRep:
    You say your family are on a tight budget but that shouldnt be an issue as its so much cheaper and more economical to buy veg then it is to buy things like chips etc. A bag of chips will last 1/2 meals but a big bag of potatoes will last far more for example.

Why dont you suggest some meals you would like to cook for them as a treat?

Also for a healthy lunch start cooking some soups. Cheap, easy and you can freeze them and eat them again.
    Im eating leek and potato soup right now and regularly make carrot and coriander or potato soup. They really dont take a lot of ingredients so cost barely anything.

Me and my bf are on a very tight budget so this is one of the ways I keep costs down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    cut out sugar and white bread,

sweetners isnt expensive switch to that.

Oh and btw be careful how you approach this - if you constantly go "i cant eat that its too unhealthy" or "i cant eat that its cooked wrong" your going to come across as a whiny ungrateful ***** which will just piss off your parents
    Luckily I do only tend to eat wholemeal bread. My mum whinges about unhealthy my dads cooking is. But she hates cooking and isn't very good at it. And also doesn't pay for the food so there isn't much she can do.

(Original post by Sam00)
    im not an expert on losing weight, quite the opposite, but I think you would be wise to buy your own foods and cook for yourself, either that or just eat what's put in front of you. Substitute simple carbs for complex carbs, limit sugar intake, drink plenty of water and eat fresh veg and eat protein with every meal.

Surely that combined with regular exercise will help you lose weight
    I only have a few savings in my bank and no job. I'm at 6th form, going to uni (hopefully) in September. But eating what's infront of me isn't going to help me lose weight. like i said i do exercise but I need to eat healthy to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    You say your family are on a tight budget but that shouldnt be an issue as its so much cheaper and more economical to buy veg then it is to buy things like chips etc. A bag of chips will last 1/2 meals but a big bag of potatoes will last far more for example.

Why dont you suggest some meals you would like to cook for them as a treat?

Also for a healthy lunch start cooking some soups. Cheap, easy and you can freeze them and eat them again.
    Im eating leek and potato soup right now and regularly make carrot and coriander or potato soup. They really dont take a lot of ingredients so cost barely anything.

Me and my bf are on a very tight budget so this is one of the ways I keep costs down.
    We do have veg, but he makes it unhealthy by roasting it in a tonne of oil or covering it in butter.

He won't eat anything I cook as it would involve something low fat etc which he refuses to eat as he automatically assumes it wil ltaste like ****. He also won't eat rice or pasta. On saturdays he always has steak so I cook me and mum something healthy.

I like making soup, but it can be quite time consuming. I try and make it when I can. When we've got a lot of veg thats nearly going off, mum will make a soup from it.

ReputationRep:
    We do have veg, but he makes it unhealthy by roasting it in a tonne of oil or covering it in butter.

He won't eat anything I cook as it would involve something low fat etc which he refuses to eat as he automatically assumes it wil ltaste like s**t. He also won't eat rice or pasta. On saturdays he always has steak so I cook me and mum something healthy.
    Could you ask that you have your portion of the veg to cook as you wish? That way he gets what he wants and you get what you want

ReputationRep:
    mix up you meals, i love having porridge for tea as its filling, can put literally any fruit/seeds/nuts with it and it takes like 4 minutes.

also- soups are fantastic and although they will take longer to prepare at first, make big batch and then freeze in piortions means that you have lunches and dinners at your disposal within about 8 minutes.

similarly, agree with what was said above, no matter how much money you have, use budgetting to get food for yourself weekly. it'll be great practice for uni- both for budgetting and for cooking

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Find out how many calories are in the food, Eat the calories and then after digesting, burn them off with some vigorous exercising for the same number of minutes there are calories (calories=minutes) this will help you to eat less calories and therefore reducing your time for exercising.

I hope this helps you.

ReputationRep:
    Just eat less. If switching the constitution of meals is difficult due to your parents then when you have those meals focus on eating less of them. And exercise a bit more. Weight-loss is nothing more than energy in v energy out so the quality of the food doens't matter too much. Granted, you'll feel better if you eat healthier even if you gained weight.

Just simple things can work. Eg, when I bake cookies I use oil, not cooking butter/fat, egg whites instead of whole eggs, darker sugar (apparently better for you but I'm not sure on that but it's richer so I add less), wholegrain flour etc

ReputationRep:
    also try farmers markets, best eggs and fresh bread, or cheaper supermarkets for fruit and veg

for example, i get mine from aldi, a whole broccoli 90p, a calluliflour 69p, five bananas 49p, grapefruit 32p

whats not to like

ReputationRep:
    I only have a few savings in my bank and no job. I'm at 6th form, going to uni (hopefully) in September. But eating what's infront of me isn't going to help me lose weight. like i said i do exercise but I need to eat healthy to.
    Have you tried speaking to him about it? An actual conversation not a "dad i want......"

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried speaking to him about it? An actual conversation not a "dad i want......"
    He refuses to cook healthy things as they ''taste like ****'' and he refuses to use ''c**p such as low fat foods'' especially when people are coming round and he's the one that pays for it all so he decided what we can buy/eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadeannalis)
    also try farmers markets, best eggs and fresh bread, or cheaper supermarkets for fruit and veg

for example, i get mine from aldi, a whole broccoli 90p, a calluliflour 69p, five bananas 49p, grapefruit 32p

whats not to like
    I don't have my own money. He buys quite a bit of veg, it's just how he cooks it. I also don't drive so it's difficult for me to go shopping on my own and like I said, he won't buy many extras for me when we go shopping.

(Original post by kunoichi)
    Could you ask that you have your portion of the veg to cook as you wish? That way he gets what he wants and you get what you want
    He won't do it. That's why I usually end up making myself a salad to go with it as he ends up hogging the oven and the 3 hobs that work. But salad is boring and I don't get chance to make healthy cooked veg.

ReputationRep:
    But salad is boring.
    salad can be as interesting as you make it. if your salad is boring then its saying something about you and your creativity; its not the salads fault.

-choose leafy greens
    -choose 2+ veggies
    -choose 2+ fruits (if your 'okay' with fruit in salads)
    -choose source of protein, ie beans/ pulses or meats, chicken etc
    -choose source of fat, ie avo, cheese
    -choose yummy dressing or make your own

ReputationRep:
    ps your heading to uni soon that makes you late teens, i think your old enough and responsible enough to tell your dad that you dont want a potato smothered with butter or veggies fried in loads of oil..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadeannalis)
    ps your heading to uni soon that makes you late teens, i think your old enough and responsible enough to tell your dad that you dont want a potato smothered with butter or veggies fried in loads of oil..
    I can tell him, but he won't do anything about it. I have to make myself something if I don't like what they're having. But dad's not a 1-pan dish person, so ends up hogging the kitchen and I have no room, so he gets annoyed with me using the equipment he wants to use or just getting in the way.

And I don't get home till 4.30-5 most days which doesn't give me time to cook something before he starts cooking unless I only ever eat salad. And if I waited until after they'd eaten and he'd tidied away I wouldn't eat until about 8pm by which time I'd be starving.

ReputationRep:
    He refuses to cook healthy things as they ''taste like s**t'' and he refuses to use ''c**p such as low fat foods'' especially when people are coming round and he's the one that pays for it all so he decided what we can buy/eat.

ahh right one of those dads - i provide it you eat it. Thats fair enough i its own way.

Have smaller portions then is that feasible? You might need to get some of those bland non food rice cake thingys but they are not expensive if you get supermarkets own brand.

ReputationRep:
    ahh right one of those dads - i provide it you eat it. Thats fair enough i its own way.
    :sigh: yep. He's old and very stuborn and thinks that only full fat, full sugar stuff will taste good cos it always has to him and it's done him no harm. Altohugh he is a bit fat.

Now you know what I'm up against.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.