Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to cook healthy with standard/unhealthy foods Watch

ReputationRep:
    i dont know what to suggest if you are unwilling to stand up for yourself and your health in order to either get your own groceries or refuse to eat crap daily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadeannalis)
    i dont know what to suggest if you are unwilling to stand up for yourself and your health in order to either get your own groceries or refuse to eat crap daily.
    I can cook my own stuff if I don't want to eat what they're having but that's usually difficult because I either can't get in the kitchen or have nothing healthy I can cook unless I just want pasta salad, which is something I'd have for lunch, not my main meal.

ReputationRep:
    Your main and most important meal should be breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    I've been health-conscious since age 12, so for the past 9 years my mum asks me what I would like for her to buy and would prepare my meals separately from everyone else. I understand your family is on a tight budget, but healthy food is not necessarily too expensive and if you're not a big eater then it will last a while if it's just you consuming it. Perhaps set a budget with your parents (let's say £5 per trip - I don't know how often your family do their shopping) which you are allowed to use to buy the things you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadeannalis)
    Your main and most important meal should be breakfast.
    There is increasing (although not yet conclusive) evidence that this just an old wives' tale. There are benefits to eating breakfast but equally studies have shown intermittent fasting has wide-ranging benefits (see this highly-cited review).

Personally, having read much of the evidence I believe that the major downside to skipping breakfast is making poorer meal choices later in the day - which is entirely psychological and can be avoided with willpower. It is absolutely untrue that metabolism slows down significantly as a result of skipping a meal. It doesn't. Metabolism will only slow down after prolonged fasting and calorie restriction.

For some people, incorporating breakfast daily will be a better choice for their lifestyle. But those who don't are equally likely to be effective in weight loss or maintaining a healthy lifestyle as long as they make sensible meal decisions later in the day.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.