Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please could someone give me some guidance on this question:
    The acceleration that a car of mass 1200kg can produce is limited by 2 factors, the frictional force between the driving wheels and road can't exceed 6000N and the engine has a maximum power output of 30kW. What is the shortest time in which it could reach a speed of 20m/m from rest?
    Thanks in advance for any help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaLM)
    Please could someone give me some guidance on this question:
    The acceleration that a car of mass 1200kg can produce is limited by 2 factors, the frictional force between the driving wheels and road can't exceed 6000N and the engine has a maximum power output of 30kW. What is the shortest time in which it could reach a speed of 20m/m from rest?
    Thanks in advance for any help
    You should know the relevant relationships between work, force, and distance and power, force, and velocity i.e. that:

W = Fs \Rightarrow P = Fv

It should be clear that we can minimise the time taken to reach 20 m/s by maximising the acceleration at all times.

However, if we try to rev the engine up to 30 kW when the car is only going at 1 m/s, say, we'll find that the force exerted on the road is F= \frac{P}{v} = \frac{30 000}{1} \text{N} = 30000 N. This is greater than the maximum 6000N frictional force that the road-tyre surfaces can generate, so the wheels will spin.

So for lower speeds, there is a maximum power output from the engine that we can use: it's the output that ensures that the frictional forrce doesn't exceed 6000N.

At higher speeds, say, 10 m/s then a similar calculation gives F = 3000 \text{N}, so we can safely drive the engine at full tilt, giving us maximum acceleration without spinning the wheels.

So, some questions:

1. What is the speed at which we can drive the engine at 30 kW without spinning the wheels?

2. Above this speed, what force will the car feel, as a function of v?

3. What is the maximum force we can apply to the car in the low speed regime?

ReputationRep:
    Okay so you can drive the engine at 5m/s or greater when the engine power is 30kW, the function of the force after that is 30,000/v and the force before that is 6000N.....is that all right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay so you can drive the engine at 5m/s or greater when the engine power is 30kW, the function of the force after that is 30,000/v and the force before that is 6000N.....is that all right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, that looks fine (though I wouldn't use your wording "drive the engine at 5 m/s" - I'd put it the other way round: "drive the engine at 30 kW when the speed is 5 m/s or greater").

I haven't completed the question but it looks like you'll have a simple DE to solve. What board is this, BTW?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry, that wording wasn't great! And let me know when you get an answer it's OCR

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And let me know when you get an answer
    It'd be more useful to you if you found the answer, and I checked it, I think.

ReputationRep:
    I know the answer from the textbook but I'm still struggling with how to go about it :/ so far I'm thinking that if the maximum force from 0 to 5m/s is 6000N then that makes the acceleration for that time period constant so it takes 1 second to accelerate from 0 to 5m/s. Then after that I tried to use work done by forces = gain in kinetic energy. So 30000t = 0.5x1200x(15^2) which gives 30000t=135000 so t is 4.5, so overall t is 5.5..... But this isn't the answer in the textbook

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it 16 seconds?

ReputationRep:
    The answer in the book says (I'll spoiler it just in case people want to work through it themselves)
    Spoiler:
    Show

8.5 seconds

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finally worked it out guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finally worked it out guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
    20^2-5^2 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    20^2-5^2 ?
    So it takes 1 second to accelerate from 0 to 5m/s because the maximum friction is 6000N and the mass of the car is 1200kg so F=ma gives a=5ms^-2..... Then I used work done = gain in KE so 30000t = 1/2 x 1200 x (20^2-5^2) so t for that is 7.5 therefore the total time is 8.5

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So it takes 1 second to accelerate from 0 to 5m/s because the maximum friction is 6000N and the mass of the car is 1200kg so F=ma gives a=5ms^-2..... Then I used work done = gain in KE so 30000t = 1/2 x 1200 x (20^2-5^2) so t for that is 7.5 therefore the total time is 8.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Right. Well done. You noticed something that I didn't initially - you can use an energy argument rather than solve a DE, though the DE would have come to the same thing in the end:

F = ma = \frac{30000}{v}\Rightarrow m\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{30000}{v} \Rightarrow m \int^v_u v dv = \int^t_0 30000 t \\ \\ \Rightarrow \frac{m}{2}(v^2-u^2) = 30000 t

which is what you started with.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.