This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I can't seem to get the correct answer when working out the following question:

A block of 60kg on a ramp inclined at an angle (x) to the horizontal where tan (x) = 3/4. A rope is attached to the block and held parallel to the line of greatest slope of ramp.

The coefficient of friction between ramp and block = 2/3. Modelling the block as a particle, find the largest tension in rope that can be applied before the block moves up the ramp.

The proper answer is 744.8N, but I get 666.4N, by taking the force from the mass down the plane and the friction from the tension. What am I doing wrong here?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ermm... im not sure really. Could you leave a step by step, so its clear what you have done, and easier to spot mistakes. It sounds right though, but this is the sort of thing a usually struggled on as well.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
OK, this is what I've done.

Just before the tension pulls the block up the ramp, it must be the same as the forces acting against it i.e. 60gsin(x), which is the force of the weight when resolved along the plane, and the friction F, which is 2/3 * 60gcos(x). By taking these two forces away from T and adding it to the RHS (where the RHS is 0 since I'm assuming the block is not moving), I would get T= 666.4N.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As i said, im not very good at this really. What is the RHS?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Right hand side of the equation. I've done about ten similar questions and despite following the method, most of the answers are wrong. Sniff.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ive tried all the methods i know of doing this, and ive got answers between 200 and 900, but none near the answer they said was right (744.8N).
I'll have a think about it, but i've got an exam at about half 1, so i better get ready for that soon.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
OK, good luck.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, thanks. I should get the answer though. I did my mechanics exam easily, and got those sorts of Q's right all through my revision.
Maybe im just not concentrating.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I have found one way of satisfying the answer, but it defies logic completely. By adding F and uR to make 666.4 (like I had before), then taking uR from F (to make 39.2), multiplying the answer and adding it to the 666.4, 744.8N is made. Of course, I would never think of doing that in the exam.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah. There probably is some logic to it, but ive got an exam soon so my brain isnt turned on.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What exam?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Business
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I've taken business as well, although my exams are bunced near the end (middle of June).
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well ive got 3, 1 hour exams in a row starting about half past 1.
And the rest of my exams are all this week.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Are they all business or different subjects?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All my business ones are today, but the rest of the week is all my other exams.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'm dreading the maths exams I have next Friday - I didn't do too well last year in As, so basically this year I have to take the whole A ans AS levels again - it does help that the stuff in AS compliments the A level content though.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well i have problems in pure and mechanics, but ive already taken mechanics, and i did really well. Ive got pure tomorrow, and stats on thursday.
Its fairly easy though in my opinion, as its mostly logical.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
I can't seem to get the correct answer when working out the following question:

A block of 60kg on a ramp inclined at an angle (x) to the horizontal where tan (x) = 3/4. A rope is attached to the block and held parallel to the line of greatest slope of ramp.

The coefficient of friction between ramp and block = 2/3. Modelling the block as a particle, find the largest tension in rope that can be applied before the block moves up the ramp.

The proper answer is 744.8N, but I get 666.4N, by taking the force from the mass down the plane and the friction from the tension. What am I doing wrong here?
The answer 744.8 N is wrong. 666.4 N is correct. You should have more trust in yourself :-).

Regards,
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.21%
No (600)
65.79%

Watched Threads