Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of sticking to buses all my life :'( Insurance to high Watch

ReputationRep:
    So i passed at 17, Iam 21 now, at the age of 19 i got my licence tooken off me for driving without insurance (my fault thought i was insured).

With 8 points and a fine included.

Since 19 ive been taking buses and sick of it missing lessons etc because i comute to Uni.

2 years later ive had enough and passed my test.

How on earth do i get insured at 21 with 8 points in Bradford?

Surely someone must be in the same boat and have some advice ?

Sometimes when i try get a quote it says unable to give quote ?

I have a car and everything. And my second semester is starting i really want to drive there instead of catching bus which takes x3 the time.

Thankyou to anyone who helps !

ReputationRep:
    I would be willing to find you quotes if you provide the essential details, feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vkz4)
    So i passed at 17, Iam 21 now, at the age of 19 i got my licence tooken off me for driving without insurance (my fault thought i was insured).

Since 19 ive been taking buses and sick of it missing lessons etc because i comute to Uni.

I have a car and everything. And my second semester is starting i really want to drive there instead of catching bus which takes x3 the time.

How can it have been your fault if you say you were insured?

You did a stupid thing and now you are paying the price, life's hard sometimes. I guess if you wait a couple more years, the rate may come down a little.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Bradford too ):
    have you try tiger.com, it's a compare website
    I think all the insurers on there are with some kind of box, but its still insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)
    I think all the insurers on there are with some kind of box, but its still insurance.
    Hey Natasha, how's the driving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara55)
    How can it have been your fault if you say you were insured?

You did a stupid thing and now you are paying the price, life's hard sometimes. I guess if you wait a couple more years, the rate may come down a little.
    Because i thought if i was insured 3rd party on my car i could drive my dads car with his permission.

Infact it was if i was fully comp on my car then i could drive my dads with his permission.

I didnt know so its my fault.

ReputationRep:
    Will try it now thanks!

Bradfords allways high for insurance FML

Just out of interest i tried another adress out of bradford and the price was almost 3 times cheaper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vkz4)
    Because i thought if i was insured 3rd party on my car i could drive my dads car with his permission.

Infact it was if i was fully comp on my car then i could drive my dads with his permission.

I didnt know so its my fault.
    Sometimes it's hard to understand the rules, especially at a young age. The system punishes people financially for not getting them right, but it sounds like something that unfortunately you are going to have to live with for a while.

ReputationRep:
    If they can't give you a quote phone them up.

And try insurethebox.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    If they can't give you a quote phone them up.

And try insurethebox.com
    Thanks will give this a go too.

Anyone else in my position and managed to get insured? and at what price? is there any hope out there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vkz4)
    Will try it now thanks!

Bradfords allways high for insurance FML

Just out of interest i tried another adress out of bradford and the price was almost 3 times cheaper!
    Bradfords definitely got high insurance, but some post codes here also make it go up thousands which is unfair.

hopefully you might be able to get a decent quote.

Theres also youngmarmalade, but its like a car and insurance scheme and its usually done on finance, so might not be the best idea but google it, should come up (:

ReputationRep:
    Now you're 21 you can look into getting a classic car with classic insurance if you don't mind having an older car? The insurance is usually a lot cheaper than on a modern car...plus if you're handy with a toolbox a lot of jobs can be done yourself.

ReputationRep:
    WOW £8580 Cheapest i got at tiger.com :''''''''((((((

F....................M.......... ..........L

ReputationRep:
    What if i got a car on finance that comes with insurance??

Ide be able to pay monthly.

Would i be able to get a car on Finance + Free insurance at 21 with 8 Points? or with my dad as first driver?

Ive been hearning there is somewhere that offers this?

ReputationRep:
    This forums Great btw Fast replys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vkz4)

It sounds like a stupid question, but have you tried all of the usual things to lower your quote, like:
    *adding as many named drivers as possible e.g. parents, grandparents, older siblings etc.
    *Changing where you keep your car at night. If you put that your car is parked outside your house, it can be cheaper than saying you keep it on the drive/in the garage, and vice versa. It can make it quite a bit cheaper in some cases. Apparently its worked out on car theft rates in your area.
    *Trying different levels of cover (e.g. in some cases, fully comp can actually work out cheaper, dont know why).

Insurance company wise- try getting a quote with quote me happy (http://www.quotemehappy.com/). They only insure people aged 21 and over (which is why ive never found them until this last few months). They seem to be cheaper than everyone else. Ive also found that admiral, diamond, bell, elephant, tesco and aviva have been cheaper than most as well, so give those a try if you havent already.

ReputationRep:
    Just tried insure the box, after filling the pages it came to

"Sorry

Unfortunately we are unable to offer you cover at this time. If you suspect this is the result of an error then please try again."

Dont know if this is because i wrote i just recently passed a few days ago.

But ive actualy been driving for 2 years since 17-19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    It sounds like a stupid question, but have you tried all of the usual things to lower your quote, like:
    *adding as many named drivers as possible e.g. parents, grandparents, older siblings etc.
    *Changing where you keep your car at night. If you put that your car is parked outside your house, it can be cheaper than saying you keep it on the drive/in the garage, and vice versa. It can make it quite a bit cheaper in some cases. Apparently its worked out on car theft rates in your area.
    *Trying different levels of cover (e.g. in some cases, fully comp can actually work out cheaper, dont know why).

Insurance company wise- try getting a quote with quote me happy (http://www.quotemehappy.com/). They only insure people aged 21 and over (which is why ive never found them until this last few months). They seem to be cheaper than everyone else. Ive also found that admiral, diamond, bell, elephant, tesco and aviva have been cheaper than most as well, so give those a try if you havent already.
    Yep ive tried all that. Often it comes to a page where they are unable to quote me ? Why could this be ?

Sometimes on Confused.com/ Go-Compare, there will be like 1-2 insurers on the list at ridiculous prices and the rest Unable to insure..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vkz4)
    What if i got a car on finance that comes with insurance??

Ide be able to pay monthly.

Would i be able to get a car on Finance + Free insurance at 21 with 8 Points? or with my dad as first driver?

Ive been hearning there is somewhere that offers this?
    I'm not sure how it works with points on your license,
    but have a look, http://www.youngmarmalade.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vkz4)
    Yep ive tried all that. Often it comes to a page where they are unable to quote me ? Why could this be ?

Sometimes on Confused.com/ Go-Compare, there will be like 1-2 insurers on the list at ridiculous prices and the rest Unable to insure..
    Probably because of your 8 points etc, thats probably why they wont give you a quote.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.