Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I figure out the ratio of moles in a chemical equation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For example, as in this past paper:

TiCl4 + 2H20 -----> Ti02 + 4HCI

I'm aware this is probably really simple, but it's one this i'm struggling to understand.
    So wouldn't the ratio of moles between TiCl4 and Ti02 be 1:1? And if it is, why don't you take into account the other compounds, like 4HCI?

ReputationRep:
    If you imagine a big loaf of bread and cut it up into slices then you're going to get 2 crusts per full loaf, it's irrelevant how thick the slices of bread are in the middle in the same way it's irrelevant how many other moles you produce, you will only get 2 crusts per loaf.
    Weird metaphor since i'm having a sandwich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spoogle)
    If you imagine a big loaf of bread and cut it up into slices then you're going to get 2 crusts per full loaf, it's irrelevant how thick the slices of bread are in the middle in the same way it's irrelevant how many other moles you produce, you will only get 2 crusts per loaf.
    Weird metaphor since i'm having a sandwich.
    I suppose that makes sense! Reading that last part made me laugh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.