Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

will my E at a2 biology forever hold me back Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my 3rd year of sixth form.

At gcse I got mainly Bs and As.

I have an E in AS maths which I'm not that fussed about, but also an E in A2 biology. I'm on target for B/C in chemistry, geography and psychology. I wan't a career in something like oceanography/environmental science - chemistry/geography are most important for that, but a bad grade in biology won't look good.

Is my E in biology always going to hold me back even if I do well at uni? I know people say that it's only really your highest qualification that counts. But when applying to jobs with an application form you have to state all of your qualifications.

This is what happened, I probably could have put more effort in, but I doubt I would have got over a C.

There were 5 of us and we got EEDDC. The teacher I had for my second year didn't know what was on our syllabus at all. She was using powerpoints designed for her previous sixth form which was with a different exam board, leading to us being confused as she didn't always point out the bits we needed. She also had no clue how to help us with our coursework which was nothing like what she'd done before. She was only there a year, before that she was teaching 9-13 year olds. I know someone who got all As/ A*s at gcse. They had this teacher for biology and chemistry in their first year of 6th form. They got Es in both, but a B in maths and C further maths! so is now doing a 3rd year of a-levels to get decent grades overall.

What's my best option? I won't have time to put the effort in this year, especially with no help. Should I resit it as a private candidate whilst at uni/just after graduating. If so, will I still have to put my original E grade on applications aswell, or just my new grade?

Why the neg? it's not like a C in an irrelevant gcse, this is important.

ReputationRep:
    First I must say this, I need to get it off my chest.

I quote

(Original post by Clare~Bear)
    The teacher I had for my second year didn't know what was on our syllabus at all. She was using powerpoints designed for her previous sixth form which was with a different exam board, leading to us being confused as she didn't always point out the bits we needed. She also had no clue how to help us with our coursework which was nothing like what she'd done before. She was only there a year, before that she was teaching 9-13 year olds.
    This really sounds like you are blaming the teacher, you said that she didn't know the syllabus. Are you incapable of looking at the syllabus yourself? Surely you can open a book?

To return to your question, it depends. You worry that it might hold you back in the future, but I dont know whether or not you have a place at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cephalus)
    This really sounds like you are blaming the teacher, you said that she didn't know the syllabus. Are you incapable of looking at the syllabus yourself? Surely you can open a book?

To return to your question, it depends. You worry that it might hold you back in the future, but I dont know whether or not you have a place at university?
    I did admit I could've worked a bit harder. BUT I was redoing 2 of my ASes at the time, I didn't want to fail them again, so found it hard to organise my time.

The syllabus doesn't explain things though, it just states what you need to know, I couldn't get my head around some of the stuff, but she couldn't explain things very well, which usually confused us more. And even though people say it's just a memory challenge, the wordy questions are hard to do if you don't understand.

I've applied to uni and my teachers think I'll get in. But will this hold me back from jobs?

ReputationRep:
    I did admit I could've worked a bit harder. BUT I was redoing 2 of my ASes at the time, I didn't want to fail them again, so found it hard to organise my time.

The syllabus doesn't explain things though, it just states what you need to know, I couldn't get my head around some of the stuff, but she couldn't explain things very well, which usually confused us more.
    Do you have a place at uni? Have you applied?

ReputationRep:
    I realised I hadn't answered that so I've edited my post.

ReputationRep:
    as long as you have three a-level grades in subjects which accepted by the course u want to do its fine
    I know people with Ds and Es in extra a-levels haha
    infact I got a D in critical thinking and still got an interview for medicine because its the AAA in the three other subjects which count
    good luck and dw! with jobs, im sure you dont have to mention them (Not sure) and if u do nevermind, you have three other a-levels and a degree by then

ReputationRep:
    I realised I hadn't answered that so I've edited my post.
    For the jobs thing, it really depends on how you do in your degree. If you do amazingly well, then it might not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedMed12)
    as long as you have three a-level grades in subjects which accepted by the course u want to do its fine
    I know people with Ds and Es in extra a-levels haha
    infact I got a D in critical thinking and still got an interview for medicine because its the AAA in the three other subjects which count
    good luck and dw! with jobs, im sure you dont have to mention them (Not sure) and if u do nevermind, you have three other a-levels and a degree by then
    It's not uni I'm worried about, it's getting a job afterwards.

My tutor said that if you just send a cover letter and CV to a company you can miss out what you want as long as you don't add qualifications you haven't got.

BUT if it's on an actual application form they 99% of the time ask you to state all of your formal qualifications. Which means I would need to mention my Es in maths/bio.

ReputationRep:
    It's not uni I'm worried about, it's getting a job afterwards.

My tutor said that if you just send a cover letter and CV to a company you can miss out what you want as long as you don't add qualifications you haven't got.

BUT if it's on an actual application form they 99% of the time ask you to state all of your formal qualifications. Which means I would need to mention my Es in maths/bio.

hmm I wouldnt worry, the older you get, the degree should outweigh that hopefully, have other extra curriculars which make u different and you still got better than the minimum requirement ( a C at GCSE)
    you could retake them, but I wouldnt bother
    you could just reflect on what u do wrong e.g. chose subjects you werent really interested in and then your fall down gave you the motivation to work hard and get better a-levels in subjects you love

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't hold you back too much to be honest.
    Even though you have to put qualifications on your CV or a job application, you might not need to put all of them. You could say "5 A-Levels, including C in Psychology, C in geography, B in chemistry". You shouldn't really need to put every single qualification you have, just like you wouldn't need to state every single GCSE you ever got.

You should be fine, don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pachelbel)
    I know a-levels are about putting in the effort yourself, but if no-one can explain the difficult concepts to you, how are you meant to understand? And i thought it was best to explain what happened.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.