Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have just sent of my application form for 6th form and have chosen Biology, Chemistry, physics and Psychology. currently i am doing fine with my GCSE's and should get either A's or A*'s in all my subjects bar French which may be a B if i am unlucky. Can anyone tell me if my A level choices are appropriate for dentistry, i know it is good that they are science based but i do not want to appear to be purely academic and would like someone's opinion on if the subjects are suitable. Also would it be possible to balance out these academic subjects with external hobbies, as i am currently a dance teaching assistant, painter and should have my piano grade 5 or 6 by the time i apply for university. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they are fine for dentistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafan)
    Yes, they are fine for dentistry.
    Thanks, how much work experiences will i need before i apply? So far i have had approximately 23 days of dental observation work experiences and have planes to go to India for a month with projects abroad to do work experience. Is there any other things i can do to improve my chances of getting in? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Littlemo18)
    Hi
    I have just sent of my application form for 6th form and have chosen Biology, Chemistry, physics and Psychology. currently i am doing fine with my GCSE's and should get either A's or A*'s in all my subjects bar French which may be a B if i am unlucky. Can anyone tell me if my A level choices are appropriate for dentistry, i know it is good that they are science based but i do not want to appear to be purely academic and would like someone's opinion on if the subjects are suitable. Also would it be possible to balance out these academic subjects with external hobbies, as i am currently a dance teaching assistant, painter and should have my piano grade 5 or 6 by the time i apply for university. Thanks
    Great choices. If you want to go into the Medical industry, then you need all 3 sciences. You'll be fine. Where are you going to 6th form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guills on wheels)
    Great choices. If you want to go into the Medical industry, then you need all 3 sciences. You'll be fine. Where are you going to 6th form?
    Just my schools one, we have just had it built and i really get along with my science teachers their so i think i will do really well with their help, they are super supportive.

ReputationRep:
    they are good, but just focus on your gcse's for now.

ReputationRep:
    Something to consider if you're thinking about taking several science subjects...you might find it helpful to take Maths too! It's by no means necessary but compliments the other subjects nicely and you'd probably find them a little easier as well Just a thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cecil_bear)
    Something to consider if you're thinking about taking several science subjects...you might find it helpful to take Maths too! It's by no means necessary but compliments the other subjects nicely and you'd probably find them a little easier as well Just a thought!
    Yeh i did consider that, i chose psychology instead because physics will cover the maths side of things and i felt in needed something with more of a written side to help balance out the subjects alot more. However I must agree with you that maths would have complimented the sciences especially physics well.
    If when i go to do my taster lesson days and do not enjoy psychology then i am going to have maths as a back up to change to read for the start of term.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, how much work experiences will i need before i apply? So far i have had approximately 23 days of dental observation work experiences and have planes to go to India for a month with projects abroad to do work experience. Is there any other things i can do to improve my chances of getting in? thanks
    Any medicine-related courses, it's very important to get work experience. It's great that you're starting now. Try and get as much as possible during half terms, etc and you won't regret so when it comes to applying to dentistry school.

I know it is by no means necessary, but have you considered Maths A level? Some say it is hard to cope with Physics without Maths, as much of it is covered in the mechanics modules of Maths.

Good luck whatever you decide/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halim)
    they are good, but just focus on your gcse's for now.
    I am trying, i am just getting a little restless doing subjects that i no longer want to do. I will do my best to focus on getting them sorted before i start preparing for my A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    Any medicine-related courses, it's very important to get work experience. It's great that you're starting now. Try and get as much as possible during half terms, etc and you won't regret so when it comes to applying to dentistry school.

I know it is by no means necessary, but have you considered Maths A level? Some say it is hard to cope with Physics without Maths, as much of it is covered in the mechanics modules of Maths.

Good luck whatever you decide/
    I have and it is my back up a level if i do not enjoy psychology on the taster days, my school also offers maths physics catch up lessons at lunch and during free periods to help those who have not taken maths. But it is on my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cecil_bear)
    I can vouch for this. My best friend is the only person at my sixth form that takes Physics and not maths, and he finds the calculations in physics a lot more difficult than those who take maths as well. The thing is, the calculations are (in my opinion) the easiest part of Physics exams. They're mark earners.
    Obviously, that's no reason to take maths. Take what you enjoy.

Yeh i did consider that, i chose psychology instead because physics will cover the maths side of things and i felt in needed something with more of a written side to help balance out the subjects alot more. However I must agree with you that maths would have complimented the sciences especially physics well.
    If when i go to do my taster lesson days and do not enjoy psychology then i am going to have maths as a back up to change to read for the start of term.
    on the note of taking psychology because its considered more of an essay subject, there are more arts-y subjects you can take to make you appear more varied. For instance, i take Chemistry, Physics, Maths/Further maths and Latin. As soon as i tell people my AS options, they tend to pick out Latin as something way different. It doesn't have to be an essay-subject you do, just something a little bit different to give you some flair.

and finally, don't be fooled into thinking doing A level physics will teach you maths. The Physics course assumes you can do maths already, it really does help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chapmouse)
    I can vouch for this. My best friend is the only person at my sixth form that takes Physics and not maths, and he finds the calculations in physics a lot more difficult than those who take maths as well. The thing is, the calculations are (in my opinion) the easiest part of Physics exams. They're mark earners.
    Obviously, that's no reason to take maths. Take what you enjoy.

on the note of taking psychology because its considered more of an essay subject, there are more arts-y subjects you can take to make you appear more varied. For instance, i take Chemistry, Physics, Maths/Further maths and Latin. As soon as i tell people my AS options, they tend to pick out Latin as something way different. It doesn't have to be an essay-subject you do, just something a little bit different to give you some flair.

and finally, don't be fooled into thinking doing A level physics will teach you maths. The Physics course assumes you can do maths already, it really does help.
    I am not thinking it will teach me maths, i would like to take i because i enjoy physics and think it would be good to show some maths ability without doing purely maths. Also i am trying to be varied with extra curricular stuff like dance teaching, art and piano but i do agree it would be good to have a arty subject and Latin would be very useful for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I am not thinking it will teach me maths, i would like to take i because i enjoy physics and think it would be good to show some maths ability without doing purely maths. Also i am trying to be varied with extra curricular stuff like dance teaching, art and piano but i do agree it would be good to have a arty subject and Latin would be very useful for medicine.
    Everything you can do that is extra curricular is great.
    Have you heard of Vitalise? It's amazing to put on your UCAS, especially if you're applying to Medicine or subjects allied to Medicine. http://www.vitalise.org.uk/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.