Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help with Edexcel, Physics on the go unit 1 - car problems Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey I wonder if anyone could help me, I'm looking at Question 17 from the January 2012 paper and I don't understand how they come to the conclusion for part a) of the initial velocity being more than 10?!?!

Help would be appreciated :-)

P.s to be honest I don't understand the whole question =\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Branny101)
    Hey I wonder if anyone could help me, I'm looking at Question 17 from the January 2012 paper and I don't understand how they come to the conclusion for part a) of the initial velocity being more than 10?!?!

Could you post the question please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Could you post the question please?
    It's number 17 over here: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...e_20120307.pdf

ReputationRep:

It's a very simple SUVAT question. All you need to do is plug in the proper numbers into the proper equations.
    Also, I don't understand what you mean when you say that they 'conclude that the initial velocity is greater than 10'. The conclusion will be the acceleration, not the initial velocity. You get the initial velocity from the graph, if I'm not much in error.

ReputationRep:
    What I mean is that if I'm not mistaken the suvat formula you use is "v-u/t" to find the acceleration but in the mark scheme it says that the initial velocity : "u>10" I don't understand how that was found?

If anyone could help me understand where that came from I'd be much obliged :-)

Branny

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What I mean is that if I'm not mistaken the suvat formula you use is "v-u/t" to find the acceleration but in the mark scheme it says that the initial velocity : "u>10" I don't understand how that was found?

If anyone could help me understand where that came from I'd be much obliged :-)

Branny

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can see from the graph that the initial velocity is greater than 10:

ReputationRep:
    Right,

Thanks dude! I completely missed the graph in a midst of doing the exam and became confused when I done this question.... Embarrassing :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.