Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any epileptics here?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)

That sounds horrible.

Stay strong!
    Thank you my other friend she didn't have a seizure for about 20 months and then at work she had 4 seizures I was soo gutted for her .. Her husband calls me and her the Mcfitties lol :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yeah i ****ing love ellipses - easily in in my top 5 shapes.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh sorry about that. Do you remember how you hurt yourself? I think my cousin only just got a headache. My cousin also slept for a really long time, this might not be right but do you get seizures through fatigue?

ReputationRep:
    I dont have epilepsy but they thought I did for years coz I have drop attacks.
    So I have similar experiences to you guys, my collapses are dangerous and they have happened in some scary places such as in front of a bus, on busy roads, nearly fell into a river etc Once I was making myself some soup and I collapsed onto the cooker and scalded all my chest, pouring boiling soup down myself. I've been in a&e so many times the staff know my by face :/.
    Luckily i've got much better recently with being diagnosed and being on the right medications, but I do have occasional slips. I also had to surrender my driving licence.

ReputationRep:
    I had Epilepsy as a child,had 3 fits in all , grand mal ones at that. The first time I ended up in hospital overnight because the doctors wanted to keep me under observation.Medication kept me from having too many fits, although I did have 2 more after that.They stopped when I got to around 11 years of age, and havent had one since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Ohhh sorry about that. Do you remember how you hurt yourself? I think my cousin only just got a headache. My cousin also slept for a really long time, this might not be right but do you get seizures through fatigue?
    Sometimes I do have a seizures because of fatigue but anything can set me off .. I was scooping up I've cream once lol .. Does your cousin have mood swings before they have a seizure .. Sometimes I get really moany lol No I don't .. The last thing I remembered was looking at myself in the mirror ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyunicorn133)
    I dont have epilepsy but they thought I did for years coz I have drop attacks.
    So I have similar experiences to you guys, my collapses are dangerous and they have happened in some scary places such as in front of a bus, on busy roads, nearly fell into a river etc Once I was making myself some soup and I collapsed onto the cooker and scalded all my chest, pouring boiling soup down myself. I've been in a&e so many times the staff know my by face :/.
    Luckily i've got much better recently with being diagnosed and being on the right medications, but I do have occasional slips. I also had to surrender my driving licence.
    Oh I'm so sorry to hear that .. I really want to drive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I had Epilepsy as a child,had 3 fits in all , grand mal ones at that. The first time I ended up in hospital overnight because the doctors wanted to keep me under observation.Medication kept me from having too many fits, although I did have 2 more after that.They stopped when I got to around 11 years of age, and havent had one since.
    Yeah when I was put on the right amount it got rid of my petit mal fits but now I only have clonic tonics( another word for grand mal)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.partridge)
    yeah i ****ing love ellipses - easily in in my top 5 shapes.
    What the hell! Why say that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordie95)
    Sometimes I do have a seizures because of fatigue but anything can set me off .. I was scooping up I've cream once lol .. Does your cousin have mood swings before they have a seizure .. Sometimes I get really moany lol No I don't .. The last thing I remembered was looking at myself in the mirror ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really, she only has them when she's tired. Do you just have irregular seizures or light sensitive ones because I would have thought my cousin would have had light sensitive epilepsy

ReputationRep:
    Myself :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Not really, she only has them when she's tired. Do you just have irregular seizures or light sensitive ones because I would have thought my cousin would have had light sensitive epilepsy
    I think I have irregular seizures ... They actually say that light sensitive epilepsy is the least common type of epilepsy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJC)
    Myself :'(
    Awww .. Don't be sad .. How long?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Possibly several years. Diagnosed last year or so. Complex partial absence seizures with a history of two grand mals. Currently waiting on eeg results as my latest showed abnormalities.

I just think its a horrible illness and people are judgemental about it. People never grasp the fact I'm petrified to leave the house in case I have an episode. I am on medication however it hasn't controlled them. I can have several a day.
    They assume I'm weird when they witness one or drunk. Not nice at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJC)
    Possibly several years. Diagnosed last year or so. Complex partial absence seizures with a history of two grand mals. Currently waiting on eeg results as my latest showed abnormalities.

I just think its a horrible illness and people are judgemental about it. People never grasp the fact I'm petrified to leave the house in case I have an episode. I am on medication however it hasn't controlled them. I can have several a day.

I'm so sorry to hear about your epilepsy. I hope the drs can find a suitable drug to stop your seizures and make you feel calmer about leaving home. People can be so judgmental about things they dont understand, ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I'm so sorry to hear about your epilepsy. I hope the drs can find a suitable drug to stop your seizures and make you feel calmer about leaving home. People can be so judgmental about things they dont understand, ignore them.
    Thank you. Yeah it is pretty unbelievable how many people can be so hostile and judgemental. I even had some old lady in a bus say it was 'the devil inside'... Haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJC)

Oh no! That's soo horrible .. Yeah I understand about how people can be judgemental .. I had an EEG .. They said I had an abnormal brain .. But i have no tumours so that's good they said that I had a petit mal when I had my EEG .. It's taken like 2 years for my epilepsy to be stable .. I don't think it is fully controlled .. I'm gonna wait a year .. It's been 10 months though I don't have it as near as bad as you! I'm so sorry but I hope you get better you just have to give it time .. What medication are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJC)
    Thank you. Yeah it is pretty unbelievable how many people can be so hostile and judgemental. I even had some old lady in a bus say it was 'the devil inside'... Haha.
    Oh my days! No way! That is sooo horrible!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah you can't drive if you have had a seizure in the past year. So no chance of me driving anytime soon! To be honest though I wouldn't be comfortable driving as they appear out of the blue so I would be putting others at risk. I surrendered my provisional. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordie95)
    Oh no! That's soo horrible .. Yeah I understand about how people can be judgemental .. I had an EEG .. They said I had an abnormal brain .. But i have no tumours so that's good they said that I had a petit mal when I had my EEG .. It's taken like 2 years for my epilepsy to be stable .. I don't think it is fully controlled .. I'm gonna wait a year .. It's been 10 months though I don't have it as near as bad as you! I'm so sorry but I hope you get better you just have to give it time .. What medication are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was originally on Lamotrigine and it didn't work. Well I had the infamous rash off it and sickness so was immediately taken off that. i am on pretty high doses of Keppra but as I say no luck in controlling it.
    Were tumours ruled out via a CT? i am rather worried as my last eegs showed obvious abnormalities, but there was no explanation given as I will find out off my neuro next month. I had a MRI last year and that seemed OK.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.