Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I was going to suggest one of those medic alert jewelry things, but in honesty if you had a fit in public would anyone know what it was?.Similarly, I read somewhere that only a very small percentage of the public would know what to do in the event of an emergency on the street.
    Good point. I have found the majority of the public have a tendency to either ignore and walk away or gather around to simply be nosey.

ReputationRep:
    hey

his accident was back in july 2012 so not all that long ago.
    yeh he has them on a weekly basis and he also has absent seizures.

is it true when someone is about to have a seizure they often smell something unique to them ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newbie101)
    hey

his accident was back in july 2012 so not all that long ago.
    yeh he has them on a weekly basis and he also has absent seizures.

is it true when someone is about to have a seizure they often smell something unique to them ?
    This can be the case known as part of an aura. Not everyone gets them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJC)
    Do you have any medical identity jewellery? I was going to get some but they are expensive the ones I have seen. I have an identity card in my purse but need something a little more obvious.
    I have the necklace

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordie95)
    I have the necklace

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahhh have you a link to the webpage? :-)

ReputationRep:
    Www.theidbandco.com

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks which one did you get?
    I am after a bracelet or a band :-)

ReputationRep:
    I got the necklace

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I have irregular seizures ... They actually say that light sensitive epilepsy is the least common type of epilepsy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? I thought it would be the most common, it must be really scary to have irregular seizures since you don't know when it will occur

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Really? I thought it would be the most common, it must be really scary to have irregular seizures since you don't know when it will occur
    It is!
    And yeah I though that too ... But I suppose it's the most defined epilepsy so people would find it easiest to remember

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My mums boyfriend .. He's a Muslim and he said that I have a devil inside me and that I should be exorcised :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully going to Uni this September and it will be in Southampton and I live in Dover. Will I still be entitled to get my epilepsy medication free?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully going to Uni this September and it will be in Southampton and I live in Dover. Will I still be entitled to get my epilepsy medication free?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you still have the exemption card?

As for the ID stuff - my dad has a necklace, which looks like a normal piece of jewelery. I have friends who are runners and they (they don't have epilepsy - it's just in case something happens) use something called Road ID

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    My cousin has epilepsy and she had it twice in one day. My brother and I stayed at her house so we've never actually seen her have an attack so the experience was quite worrying. She went to the bathroom and she locked the door which her mum had been constantly telling her not to do, all of a sudden we heard a loud bang and this went on for about a minute or so. So my other cousin called the ambulance and they had to take the hinges off the door in order to get to my cousin, it turned out she had banged her head on the sink while she had her seizure. It was really bad.

She constantly has them at school too, which I feel bad for her since nobody knows what to do - her seizures are so bad four of her mum, older brother and sister all had to hold her down.
    Holding someone whilst they are having a seizure is incredibly dangerous for every party involved to the best of my experience and knowledge. You are meant to just make sure that their head isn't in any immediate danger and then just leave the person having the seizure to it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Holding someone whilst they are having a seizure is incredibly dangerous for every party involved to the best of my experience and knowledge. You are meant to just make sure that their head isn't in any immediate danger and then just leave the person having the seizure to it.
    This is what I was told. You need to ensure they're safe and should move stuff from around them and not the person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Do you still have the exemption card?

As for the ID stuff - my dad has a necklace, which looks like a normal piece of jewelery. I have friends who are runners and they (they don't have epilepsy - it's just in case something happens) use something called Road ID
    An exemption card? Never heard of it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    An exemption card? Never heard of it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're under 19 or live in Wales or Scotland, ignore this:

People who take medication for their epilepsy are entitled to a medical exemption certificate. This means you don't pay for your prescriptions. Whether they're for your epilepsy or or something like a chest infection. You have to get the form from your GP and send it off.

The certificate lasts for 5 years and isn't based on income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Thats what I thought because seizures cause the person to be really strong and yeah they shouldn't have done it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    This is very true. I'm a support worker in a residential home for people with complex needs, one of these being epilepsy. 90% of the service users suffer from it.

It's horrible, but you do have to leave them to it. The only time when it's appropriate to intervene is (like you said) when their head is in immediate danger. Even then you should make them safe in the most minimalistic way possible to protect yourself and the epileptic. Normally it's easiest to grab a pillow and put it behind their head, or a cardigan/jumper/towel. Move everything you can away from them so they don't harm themselves.

I should add that I find everyone on this thread who has had a seizure to be extremely brave. I see seizures very often, but it doesn't get easier and they look awful every time. Keep yourselves safe!

ReputationRep:
    I had a one off seizure when I was 14. Was rushed to hospital. Had an EEG a few weeks later and everything came out clear luckily. When I told everyone at school I got no sympathy at all, it ended up turning into bullying and I was depressed for a while. Did anyone else have similar experiences?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.