Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a clue about what types of conditions moss like? I am doing a particular moss called hypnum cupressiforme..I need to know whether it likes acid/alkali soils. I think they do like moist, humid and dark conditions but thats about it!
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubi)
    Does anyone have a clue about what types of conditions moss like? I am doing a particular moss called hypnum cupressiforme..I need to know whether it likes acid/alkali soils. I think they do like moist, humid and dark conditions but thats about it!
    cheers
    The deeply furrowed surface of conifer bark is a convenient place for mossesto grow. They attach to both living and decaying trees. In contrast, smooth madrone bark, which regularly peels and shreds, provides a less stable growing surface. Mosses use tree bark only as an anchor, obtaining their nutrients from the air.

ReputationRep:
    If I remember correctly then they like slightly alkaline soils, or rather, are more competitive in them. They also are more competitiive in dark and moist conditions and don't require very heavily nutrient-rich soils , hoope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan)
    If I remember correctly then they like slightly alkaline soils, or rather, are more competitive in them. They also are more competitiive in dark and moist conditions and don't require very heavily nutrient-rich soils , hoope that helped.
    ive just been researching, amd found out that regular moss likes low soil pH this means acid soils! I dont know what is right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubi)
    ive just been researching, amd found out that regular moss likes low soil pH this means acid soils! I dont know what is right!
    are you sure that moss favour one type of soil over another? on encarta it says:

Mosses, common name for members of a division (phylum) of plants (see Bryophytes), native to the entire land area of the world. Mosses grow on soil, rocks, and the bark of trees, and in bogs and shallow streams. Moss plants consist of small, slender stalks and leaves; vascular tissue is not present.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubi)
    We were always told they prefer slightly alkaline soils, but I wouldn't take my word over anything you've found in an encyclopedia or anything, I'm so much more likely to be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan)
    We were always told they prefer slightly alkaline soils, but I wouldn't take my word over anything you've found in an encyclopedia or anything, I'm so much more likely to be wrong.
    ok cheers morgan thanx 4 your help

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.