Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

I added the red arrows in the above diagram. They are supposed to represent the normal reactions at A, C and D but they are guesses and I am not sure if there actually are normal reactions at these points?

Also, do frictional forces act at A, C or D? And why/why not?

Thanks
    • Study Helper

(Original post by sabre2th1)
    There are certainly normal components to the reactions at those points, but the reactions are not normal.

And no, there are no frictional forces, nothing is sliding over anything else: At each point the two meeting components are attached, in one form or another.

The forces in the string will be along the line of the string.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    There are certainly normal components to the reactions at those points, but the reactions are not normal.

What do you mean with the above?

Thanks
    • Study Helper

What do you mean with the above?

Thanks
    E.g. At D the force is acting along the line of the string. So the reaction will be opposite to that. It can be resolved into a horizontal component and a vertical component.

Haesights is also correct regarding A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haesights)
    Its hinged so the reaction force has a vertical and a horizontal component (at A)

So at A, are the vertical and horizontal components equal?

ReputationRep:
    E.g. At D the force is acting along the line of the string. So the reaction will be opposite to that. It can be resolved into a horizontal component and a vertical component.

Haesights is also correct regarding A.

Are the arrows for the reaction force at D correct?
    • Study Helper

There is no reaction force at D, only A.
    If there was no reaction at D there could be no tension in the string.

Are the arrows for the reaction force at D correct?
    No, those are the components for the tension in the string. The reaction force's components would be in the opposite direction; up and to the left.

And at A the horizontal and vertical components will, in general, be different.

Also at C, the force acting will be along the line of the string.

If you're only interested in the beam, then you don't need the forces at D. What's the actual question you're trying to answer?
    • Study Helper

I thought the tension force would be acting up and to the left? :confused:
    Tension acts towards the centre of the structure under tension.

So at the bottom end of the string the tension would be up and to the left, and at the top end of the string it would be down and to the right. And the reaction at the top end, which is opposite to the latter, would be up and to the left.
    • Study Helper

O like how they act in opposite directions when the car is towing something?

Mechanics wording is so confusing
    Yes, in a towbar, under tension, the forces in the towbar are towards the centre of the towbar. It's the same situation in that regard.

Mechanics wording is exacting, like most maths questions.

Although my use of the word centre here isn't exactly right, it's good enough for most questions.

ReputationRep:
    No, those are the components for the tension in the string. The reaction force's components would be in the opposite direction; up and to the left.
    So when annotating this diagram, would I have to include BOTH the components for the tension AND the reaction force's components on my diagram? (I mean if I didn't then wouldn't my calculations get muddled up?)

I checked Examsolutions earlier but he didn't draw neither the tension nor the contact forces at D

Also at C, the force acting will be along the line of the string
    The force ''along the line of the string'' will be the tension right? So the vertical red arrow I drew at C is still correct?

If you're only interested in the beam, then you don't need the forces at D. What's the actual question you're trying to answer?
    I have to show that Tension = mg(root13)

Thanks a lot !
    • Study Helper

So when annotating this diagram, would I have to include BOTH the components for the tension AND the reaction force's components on my diagram? (I mean if I didn't then wouldn't my calculations get muddled up?)
    You're likely to get more muddled if you have both the forces and the reactions in your diagram, particularly if you put them in component form.

I checked Examsolutions earlier but he didn't draw neither the tension nor the contact forces at D
    If they are not necessary for the question, then there is no necessity to include them.

The force ''along the line of the string'' will be the tension right?
    That's correct.

So the vertical red arrow I drew at C is still correct?
    Not by itself. That's just the vertical component of the tension; you'd need the horizontal component as well. Or alternatively, and simpler, just put in the tension along the string.

I have to show that Tension = mg(root13)
    Since you're only going to be working with the beam, you only need to show the forces acting on the beam. As such, you don't need all the reactions, nor do you need the forces at D. Which is why the given solution has left them out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.