Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do u get on with your sibling(s)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm asking this because it can get sooo hard living under the same roof with someone you're always fighting with!! I'm 16 and my brothers 14 so did anyone else experience this? Does it get better? We are ALWAYS fighting and then have these random moment where it's all good. I get that siblings fight but how long can it last for?!
    Anyways just asking how you get on with your siblings

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and left home just before I turned 18. My sister is 19. We never really got on when we lived together. As in one time my dad had to pick me up and take me out of her room because I had her pinned down by her head and was screaming at her- can't remember what for. But that was about our standard. Now we are fine. We aren't close but I can see us being one day. We text each other a few times a week and stuff like that.

I don't think the difference was living together but rather maturity. On my part being able to put up with her being a prat sometimes. On her part just being more mature. She's still immature for her age compared to how I was but things like still living at home and being unemployed have a lot to do with that. I think when she does live in the grown up world and is able to act like a grown up we will get along. As you get older the age difference gets less significant so you have more in common and more of a shared understanding of the world and less of a willingness to argue

ReputationRep:
    I never used to. We always used to get annoyed at each other over stupid things, hold terrible grudges, and argue over the most pointless & stupid things.

Now we're older though we get along most of the time I'm 18, my sister is 20 and my brother's 14. Me and my sister are literally like best friends - we have the same friends, confide in each other and are really close We both get along with my brother pretty well too, not on the same level though as we have a bit less in common with him, but yeah he's a lot less irritating lately We do still play the odd prank on each other, and the amount of fraping is ridiculous But that's all in good fun Of course there are occasionally little things that will annoy us about each other, but we get over it pretty quickly

ReputationRep:
    I found that whilst you live under the same roof, it can be hard to get along with siblings at all times. Me and my older sister used to argue/fight a lot when we were kids, but as we got older, we got along better. Neither of us live at our parents now but we're like best friends Same can be said for all my other brothers/sisters. Because I don't see them much anymore, when I do see them, it's a rare treat. Maturity plays a part too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me and my two sisters get on very well most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    I clash with my oldest brother a lot (he's 23) as he is very controlling, and I'm stubborn and independent. He has a habit of pushing, and I'll fight back if I'm angry. That used to be a lot worse, but now it's better and we have things in common. I'll still stand up to him though.
    My other brother, I usually get on very well with. He's funny and bubbly and we're closer in age (he's 19, I'm 18). Although, he can say some horrible things, which I guess I take to heart when they come from him. I heard him call me stupid to my other brother the other day and that hurt a lot.

I guess we get on, but we definitely have our moments

ReputationRep:
    I get along better with my sister now than we did when we were younger. I'm 22, she's 16 and we hated eachother when we were little!

I get along fine with my step brother when he can be arsed. He's 23. My sister finds him irritating because he's so grumpy and doesn't really bother with us. We get along with his lovely fiancée though so she makes up for it

ReputationRep:
    You'll start to get on alot better once one of you moves out.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got on with my brother since i had sex with his boyfriend

ReputationRep:
    Never have.. never will. He's alienated himself from the family now though.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my three brothers have a big age gap between us. I'm 19 and my youngest brother is 29. He's the only one I've ever lived in the same house with and we always got on very well and still do even though he's moved to Australia now. Both my other brothers are in their 40's (yeah, my dad is ancient), and we have never fought but we've never been close either simply because I've never lived with them and because of the age gap.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and my sister is 21. she is very quiet, organised and responsible (i.e. the opposite of me), so when we were younger we used to fight A LOT because I would always annoy her/ mess things up and she would get mad. It was really, really bad between the ages of around 5 and 12, but suddenly when we became teenagers I guess we both matured and suddenly started to get along really well. Now we're great friends (and she's at uni, so the time we do spend together we don't waste fighting!)

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand my older brother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    You'll start to get on alot better once one of you moves out.
    this is absolutely true. I didn't realise how much I would miss my sister until I realised she would be moving out in a year or two, the day she left I cried for ages!

ReputationRep:
    I have a few siblings, I get on with them except with the second oldest who is 15 (I'm the oldest). I always thought when he would grow up and mature that we would get on but he hasn't. He's always trying to pick up an argument or he doesn't listen when you ask him to do something.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the oldest of four. I'm 19. I get on brilliant with my two sisters, 16 and 13. As for my brother, 17, well he just sits in his room and only comes out to eat so.

ReputationRep:
    I don't generally get on with my sister, but there are isolated times when *shock horror* we actually get on with each other. I'm 14, she is 11.

ReputationRep:
    I have a younger sister who's 12 and an older brother who's 24. My brother and I used to hate each others guts most of the time while we were growing up - we'd constantly be fighting, beating the crap out of each other...my parents were worried to leave us alone in the house together for long. Now we're grown up and I've moved out we get along better, though still can't relate to each other that much. That is probably more due to us leading totally different lives to each other than anything else though.

My sister on the other hand despite being ten years younger is like my best friend, my parents split when she was really young so I helped with bringing her up I guess. Love her to bits, I can't wait for her to be old enough to be able to come and visit me and stuff

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and my sister is 15. We get on ridiculously well! Our relationship definitely improved since I moved to uni. Honestly, she's like one of my best friends now

ReputationRep:
    I really love my older brother, we used to have a lot of sibling squabbles when we were younger, I'm 17 and he's 21. We loved each other a lot when we were really little. I sometimes find it hard to talk to him now since he's been moved out for 3 years and he's become a little depressed, which he is very vocal about on facebook. Seriously, it's like he's having an existential crisis or something every time he misses a train or he's not home to receive a package in the post.

It doesn't help that he's dropped out of uni and even though he has a full time job he has money issues every few months which he phones home to our parents about (while still buying stuff like a tablet and dj equipment). I try to be supportive but it's very hard when all you ever seem to hear is bad news, and our grandparents always ask me about the things he posts on facebook, like I know everything that's going on in his life (they also treat him like some prodigal son). He even came home for my 16th birthday but spent the whole time complaining about how much his life sucked (happy birthday to me!).

It may seem like I don't like him but I really to love him! It's just it gets me down sometimes and it's nice to vent.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.