Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have been reading up on the Big Bang. In my understanding the theory says, the universe originated from The Singularity - a "point" of zero mass/volume but with infinite density, infinite temperature, and infinite space-time curvature.

What I don't understand is what it means by "infinite space-time curvature" specifically. Can someone put this in layman terms? In my understanding infinite space-time curvature implies space and time do not "exist". Is this correct?

ReputationRep:
    So essentially, all the energy in the Universe (mass counts as a form of energy, remember), was focussed at a point.

You can think of space-time being curved by the pressure of mass (or energy) pushing down on it. Because the area of a point is zero, the pressure will be infinite (kind of), so spacetime will be curved by an infinite amount (basically this is an alternative to tearing spacetime, which isn't really possible).

It's hard to visualise, it may help to know that another place where spacetime curvature is infinite is at the singularity of a black hole.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Einstein's theory of general relativity says that mass-energy causes gravity by curving spacetime.

i.e. more mass-energy ----> more spacetime curvature ----> more gravity

A singularity is infinitely dense so it has infinite spacetime curvature and so infinite gravity.

ReputationRep:
    Just saying, to describe the curvature of space-time, you require an array of numbers instead of one. If one or more of these numbers as the component of the curvature (tensor) increases without limit as you approach a point, this implies the space-time curvature increases indefinitely, thus the theory of general relativity itself breaks down at that point.

(Original post by 3nTr0pY)
    Yeah, Einstein's theory of general relativity says that mass-energy causes gravity by curving spacetime.
    "Gravitational acceleration" is more like an impression than an interaction in terms of general relativity.

(Original post by Qwertish)
    It's hard to visualise, it may help to know that another place where spacetime curvature is infinite is at the singularity of a black hole.
    True. And infinite curvature doesn't mean that infinite energy as well.

I didn't really do the maths, but I guess if your curvature becomes greater and even tends to infinity, no matter what initial condition you have, you will go straight into the centre.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.