Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Merchant Banking - Goldman Sachs Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I decided to open this thread as there seems to be a lack of information about MBD on this website and there is also a limited amount of info online about this particular division.

Does anyone have experience working/interning in any MBD, in particular GS?

What was the culture like? Does it differ much from IBD?

Also, I understand MBD is like the PE arm of GS (if I'm correct) and they provide PE products in PIA, REPIA, Infrastructure investment group. Do you get to choose which of those you work for?

To anyone who has experience with MBD at GS, how did you find your application/interview process? If you were successful, how did you find the division, culture and the work you did as a whole?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysongbook)
    Hello everyone,

I decided to open this thread as there seems to be a lack of information about MBD on this website and there is also a limited amount of info online about this particular division.

Does anyone have experience working/interning in any MBD, in particular GS?

What was the culture like? Does it differ much from IBD?

Also, I understand MBD is like the PE arm of GS (if I'm correct) and they provide PE products in PIA, REPIA, Infrastructure investment group. Do you get to choose which of those you work for?

To anyone who has experience with MBD at GS, how did you find your application/interview process? If you were successful, how did you find the division, culture and the work you did as a whole?

Thank you!
    I know a little about this, but it's second-hand knowledge.

It is the PE arm of the bank, but they don't offer products as such, they're active investors. It's a small, top-heavy group and they tend to take only a few interns and give even fewer offers. Culture is similar to IBD/PE anywhere, you get staffed, work like hell, wait, get staffed again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MinorityInterest)
    I know a little about this, but it's second-hand knowledge.

It is the PE arm of the bank, but they don't offer products as such, they're active investors. It's a small, top-heavy group and they tend to take only a few interns and give even fewer offers. Culture is similar to IBD/PE anywhere, you get staffed, work like hell, wait, get staffed again.
    You mentioned that they only take a few interns, do you know what the selection process is like? I've heard they usually recruit from IBD, does that mean they are looking for similar traits of that needed in IBD?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysongbook)
    You mentioned that they only take a few interns, do you know what the selection process is like? I've heard they usually recruit from IBD, does that mean they are looking for similar traits of that needed in IBD?
    I have heard the same. It would make sense since IBD/PE work is largely the same at junior levels. Don't know much else about selection process.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.